Hasegawa 1/200 Boeing 737-200

halcyonjet

I've decided to drag another box out of the stash, in this case the Hasegawa 1/200 double kit of the 737-200. Rather than the kit's decals for ANA, old and new, I'll be using the Flightpath Dan-Air and GB Airways sheets. I've built this kit previously in the early 80's, and recall that it was a quick and easy build, so will be a good time filler for my main entry (Monarch -800). 

Dave

resized_c0e355c2-413c-43a4-a894-a7003702

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to catch up following the ; a/ recent freezing, snowy weather, b/ being laid low by the current 'lurgy' doing the rounds, and c/ helping my elderly neighbours after the 91 year old gentleman fell and broke his hip.

Anyway, back to the modelling. I removed the rather thick nosewheel doors that aren't quite right shape-wise. When viewed from the side, they angle straight down instead of at a right angle to the curve of the fuselage. I've filled in the cabin windows that were blanked on the real plane. The 2 fuselage halves have been joined, remembering to include the combined bulkhead/nose weight. I'm also filling in the cabin door outlines, the lower rudder hinge (they're not on Advanced models such as both subjects) and a sink mark on the rudder.

Dave

resized_91e26fc6-6462-42e9-b25b-7d07746aresized_7590f28a-bcac-4c61-b56e-6eb502a8

• Like 3

I much prefer the vertically split fuselage halves, especially for cutting a little notch on one edge for fitting blade aerials.

I recall buying Hasegawa's 737-400 kit when it first came out, and in those pre-computer (for me) days, I had no idea of the change. I didn't like it!

Dave

I know how this weather isn't helping things Dave, then there is work and family things all getting in the way too. You've got steady progress though, and those fuselages look much bigger than 1:200th. Engine looks very good too. Waiting with interest to see more progress here!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update on the recent, albeit slow, progress. Both have had their cockpit windscreens installed and faired in. The Dan-Air one now has the wings fitted and should get a coat of primer in the morning, when the GB Airways will also gain its wings.

resized_a8da1b25-9888-4ed5-ae4f-ca0e8303

Dave

• Like 2

Cheers Chris, yes it's a shame that Hasegawa didn't do more in 1/144. I've got a pair of their YS-11's and an Emb170, and they are very nice.

One can always hope that they might be tempted to do a Mitsubishi RJ in the future (if it ever enters service!).

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, yes they are a nice untaxing build that are fairly relaxing between doing things on other kits. The only slightly stressful bit was fitting the cockpit glazing, which was a bit fiddly. It's funny, but I don't remember having that problem with my previous build of the same kit 35 years ago. Perhaps age is catching up with me....and their moulds!

Dave

A little bit of progress to report, namely the DA one has had a coat of white primer applied all over and is now waiting for the light grey lower half and wings.

resized_af191228-ff39-4d8d-ba49-b88a53a8

The GB one is now fully ready for priming -but not really worthy of a photo at this point.

Dave

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I have not been able to get these finished in time, for reasons that I have explained in my Monarch Zvezda build. It is mostly the decalling that remains to be done, but I hope that they will appear in RFI shortly.

resized_91e954e7-194e-460c-bfac-3db41f81

Dave