BAe Hawk - Red Arrows ***FINISHED***

planecrazee

As discussed in the GB chat, I've decided to throw my hat into the ring and join this build with the following kit:

DSC00281

This is a newer tool from Revell - about 2015 I think, and it has some nice detail - particularly on the likes of the seats in the cockpit.  However, for a newer tool, I'm surprised at the amount of flash that's evident on some parts - although this may just be my particular kit.

So to get started I've put the cockpit together and painted up the seats - no pilots in the kit but there are moulded on seat belts which helps with the detail.  Here's where I've got to:

DSC00336

DSC00334

DSC00333

DSC00330

This has gone together pretty straightforward.  I've managed to get this into the fuselage as a bit of a dry fit (as in pics below - this is now all sealed up).  I've put as much nose weight in to the nose as possible and underneath the cockpit where space allowed to avoid a tail sitter.  

DSC00328

DSC00323

DSC00320

DSC00319

DSC00317

As I said I've since sealed the fuselage up and have also glued up the wings, tail planes and various other bits and pieces so I'll post an update on my progress as soon as possible.  Next job will be to sand/fill any rogue seams and then sort out the canopy and get her ready to be primed and painted.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I think I got a bit carried away and have lurched forward a fair pace to where I am now.  The canopy is attached and masked, everything has been sealed, sanded and primed and then I've managed to get the red paint on as well as the landing gear and a few other bits and pieces followed by a clear coat of Tamiya X-22.  I've then managed to get all the decals on which went on without any hassle at all.  One thing I will point out is that the large white arrow on the underside of the fuselage is only catered for if you are doing 'wheels up'.  For some reason Revell have omitted to include decals for the undercarriage should you choose to do 'wheels down' as the white arrow decal passes over the undercarriage.

So the photos below show where I am to date and then moving forward it will be a case of adding some of the smaller items and finishing off the undercarriage etc and then she'll be all done.  Here goes:

DSC00337

DSC00338

DSC00339

DSC00340

DSC00341

DSC00342

DSC00343

DSC00344

DSC00345

DSC00346

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

The decals look great (and good to see white ones covering so well :)).

Cliff

Thanks Cliff - yeah the decals were faultless in that respect. I was really worried I'd end up with 'pink' white markings but not the case at all. 

• Like 1

• planecrazee changed the title to BAe Hawk - Red Arrows ***FINISHED***

So I've managed to get the Hawk finished and she is now entered in the gallery.  That's another completed GB - I'm starting to worry that I'm getting the hang of meeting deadlines :hmmm:

So I got all the little bits and pieces added to her, a light panel line wash, matt coat and then canopy masking removed and here she is - not a bad little model all in all.

DSC00393

DSC00394

DSC00395

DSC00396

DSC00397

DSC00400

DSC00401

DSC00402

DSC00403

DSC00407

DSC00408

• Like 6