paint brush container suggestions dust free and size sorted

Merlin

Hi,

a mug and brushes hairy end up might be good for starters but when I eventually get to use them and my modelling sees months between chances, I realise they are full of dust.

I keep them on hand as I think I am going to be at the bench soon but 'soon' becomes elusive, yet always appears to be within reach !

Anyone got any ideas on how to have a display of brush sizes to hand yet protect them from dust and getting whacked when reaching over them ?

To have a size array with 000 at left through to largest at right would be good, carousel shape minimises space.

Placed in a used biscuit tube all well and good but they are not easy to pick out without tipping all out, also there is  no order to them, they get jumbled etc.

I keep my 'not in use/brand new' brushes in a tube but its those that have been taken from here for usage I need to protect temporarily.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

Tend to keep mine in 3 jars in a deep draw so they stand upright by the side of the workbench, helps to keep the dust off them. 3 jars in order of how good they are, they get moved down as they get older for washes/dry brushing etc

It's best to keep brushes, particularly if they are wet after cleaning, upside down (bristles down). This stops any paint residue running into the ferrule and hardening the bristles from the top down.

You can buy holders like the one here, scroll down the page....

http://www.dndlead.com/Painting/Paintbrushes.htm

21 minutes ago, Julien said:

Mine have been in a mug on the desk for as long as I can remember and its never done them any harm.

Despite my previous advice so have mine. Lol.

I do lie them down on some kitchen towel to dry before they go in there though. However the bristles down storage is a good idea if there's a risk of accidently damaging them.

What about a variation on this:

8bdf4b62-b79b-442b-9a3b-7f4bf25b6c2d.JPG

I actually use it to store my rat-tailed files, but would work as well for paint brushes. Perhaps a Tuperware type pot with holes punched or drilled to suit the brush handle. If you store the brushes with the bristles inside the pot, that would protect them from dust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I've seen a home made paint brush stand somewhere using clothes pegs to grip the brushes. Now where did I see it? 

Something like this?

c5d8388b0199d213a61aad732ee0fac8--paint-brush-holders-craft-paint.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

I have maybe 20 or so on the go and limited space so the upside down thing isnt practical, pencil tin with grip strip maybe, stops tips getting bent if they move about.

If they are in a drilled top container taking one out that is inside of the outer circle would be trick unless it was taller, with a lid that might be a starter, though no need for holes, but tall and thin it falls over.

Maybe a rollout tools type wallet with elastic loops, as long as the tips were not touched by the wallet.

I use Turpenoid natural to clean down the roots so pointing up or lying down is ok for me.

Uncovered there will be dust in the bristles and it will show when one comes to paint with them., after the time they sit awaiting me to find modelling time !

At the moment its looking like a biscuit tube sawn 60/40 and a collar to fit together again.

Merlin

I saw this tip years ago - use a tall jar with a plastic lid.  Drill out the middle of the lid and use some thin foam wrapped in circles and place in the lid. Insert the brushes from underneath so you don't mess up the bristles.  If you pack the foam tight enough it keeps the dust out and holds the brushes firmly.

Good for longer term storage, but probably a bit of a pain if you are using the brushes a lot.

anthony