RCAF aircraft in WW2 photo collection

72modeler

Just stumbled upon this site- huge collection of detail exterior and interior photos, some in color, of American and British types flown by the RCAF- many I have never seen before, There are also lists of squadrons and serials for some types. Some outstanding detail photos for model building projects. I hope you will enjoy them and find this a useful modeling reference resource!

Mike

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warbirds-3-the-second-world-war-fighters-bombers-and-patrol-aircraft-book_310.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected topic header spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Nowt wrong with the link Noel..........think the problem is it doesn't like you :whistle:

Mike, thanks for posting :yes:

Paul

Edited by PhoenixII
politeness!
  • Like 1

Great collection of photos, usefully grouped by type, thanks.

The horizontally flipped Lancaster image is probably a case of getting the negative up-side-down in the enlarger when making the print (or on the scanner if digitised directly), which is very easy to do!

The last Typhoon photos really show the differences in the HP Hastings spinner fitted to MN235 and the 4 bladed prop spinner in the aircraft above; though the length of the hasting spinner is probably exaggerated by the close proximity of the camera necessitating use of wide angle lens.

Many thanks. I must agree, normally when one views a collection like this you’ve probably seen the best part of 90% of the photos, however (thankfully) this set of prints seems to tip the balance the other way. 

I’ve just skimmed through them, however will give each photo a little more viewing time when I get the chance. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

Hi All!

The link worked for me, and I noticed the captions are often wrong, so use with a grain of salt. The captions are very wrong in the Spitifre section when single stage Merlin PR types are labeled as Spitfire Vb. Be careful of the captions.

Bruce

19 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Nowt wrong with the link Noel..........think the problem is it doesn't like you :whistle:

Mike, thanks for posting :yes:

Paul

Weird. I can't access it either on my phone or laptop using WiFi but when I switch off the WiFi on the phone and use 4g. It works perfectly. Doesn't like my internet connection.

Interesting article though. Some useful information.

Not too shabby a collection, but there are a few missing aircraft. Where's the Fairey Swordfish? The Northrop Delta? Ford Tri-motor? Westland Lysander?

Also, all of these pictures are from other on-line sources. Mr. Skaarup does acknowledge the original sources, but original sources usually has a higher quality image and more images than he has used.

Chris

On 28/02/2018 at 3:08 PM, dogsbody said:

Where's the Fairey Swordfish? The Northrop Delta? Ford Tri-motor? Westland Lysander?

Chris

Hi 

there are some here if the search function is used 

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/hawker-hurricane-and-another-airplane

cheers

jerry

51 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

there are some here if the search function is used 

http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/hawker-hurricane-and-another-airplane

cheers

jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I've been all through that one a few times. It's got some great pictures, for sure.

Chris

Have actually ordered the book they come from. If you are looking for the Swordfish et al. , they are in another volume. Bought mainly for the Digby photos. Try entering 'Skaarup' at your favourite bookshop site. 

Apologies -link is now down. Worked yesterday.

Edited by dalea
new info

14 hours ago, dalea said:

Have actually ordered the book they come from. If you are looking for the Swordfish et al. , they are in another volume. Bought mainly for the Digby photos. Try entering 'Skaarup' at your favourite bookshop site. 

Apologies -link is now down. Worked yesterday.

I have quite a few Digby pictures that I have gathered from various on-line sources plus scans of the 4-part High Flight article written by Carl Vincent.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody who has been tempted to buy the books -don't bother. There are only a selection of the photos reproduced above , much smaller, reproduced on rather poor paper. More accompanying text, some useful. Use the link to the site(s)  above.