Super Frelon French National Navy

Orion

Dear Friends,

Are there among our French naval modelers, pictures available, showing in close-up  Frelon rotor head and the blade's folding system.

I did try, but mostly pictures, taken from to much distance.

Highest Regards,

Orion / The Netherlands.

Hello Pete,AV and Paul,

Many thanks for your response.

Really appreciated your help.

Highest Regards,

Orion

Hello Des and Julian,

Many thanks for your contribution.

With these many contributions, construction has started.

If I ever can do anything for you all, just let me know.

Regards,

Orion.

Edited by Orion

Best of luck with your project it is a nice kit to work with..

I bought one several years ago as a 'show special' from a stall at an RAF Leuchars Airshow which was not perhaps the sturdiest or most conveniently sized box to carry around all day and to sneak back home into the ever growing stash.     There was a French company called Matech that produced an etched fret for it bit they ceased trading a long time ago and there was talk on one forum a few years back about someone going to produce some resin detail parts but as far as I know it never happened.

Hello Des,

Thanks for your encouraging words.

It will be a club effort, with several specialties (rotorfold) and especially, making the support for the blades on the sides.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

8 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Incidentally, does anyone know when Super Frelons last operated from Jeanne d'Arc, and what colour scheme they wore at that time? I tried googling and couldn't find anything conclusive.

Not a great help but I had a look through the Lela Presse book mentioned above in which to save my schoolboy French last exercised over half a century ago the author italicises ship names for clarity and Jeanne d'Arc gets only four mentions beginning with the first Super Frelon (in dark blue-grey with white top) to land aboard in January 1969 at Mururoa which as the ship is not mentioned in the text presumably was not otherwise actually involved with Super Frelon operations at the time.     

Next mention is in 2005 where it appears to have been used as a pit-stop during a long distance rescue by a land-based aircraft.       

The two other mentions are in an appendix showing all of the French Navy vessels from which the Super Frelon operated which has two of Jeanne d'Arc with no useful information in the captions , one shows a late service aircraft in two-tone grey with black radome  and the other a pair of early service dark blue-grey with white top machines.

Edited by Des