1/72 Valom N.A. FJ-1 Fury

Courageous

Hmm......
Both tanks have central "valve" on the middle. Most likely it is identical on both tank.
Knowing the size of it "valve" on the standard tank, it is possible to give the size of the non-standard tank to similar scale and to calculate what quantity "valve" will be located on the tank in is long. Further to multiply the size by quantity we will receive it is long tank.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I've never had any luck with accurately scaling overall shapes from photographs and relative to the tanks shown here: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/03/fj-1-tip-tanks-1948-bendix-race.html, your estimate would be almost as long as the longest tank and twice its diameter. I don't think that's likely. Note that scaling the NAA drawing, the standard tank is a little over 29 inches in diameter and about 10 feet 9 inches long. Are those the dimensions you used?

I have used this 

TT- The drawing I have indicates a standard 170 gal (US) tank being about 30” diameter with a length of 11’6” (1/72: dia. 10.6mm. length 48.6mm).

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Any takers?

SJ- Your ‘shadow’ image onto the plan would give the 250 gal (US) a length of 14’. (1/72: length 59.2mm)

Putting this aside for the moment, using volume formula for the 120 gal(US) we get the following increases:

A 30” (1/72 10.6mm) diameter tank would need to lengthen by 39” to accommodate the extra volume making the tank about 14’8” (1/72 62mm) long.

A 36” (1/72 12.7mm) diameter tank would need to lengthen by 27” to accommodate the extra volume making the tank about 13’8” (1/72 57.8mm) long.

Using SJ’s ‘shadow tank’ of 14’ and 120 gal (US) the increase would equate to diameter increase from 30” to 34” (1/72 12mm)

I have added the 1/72 measurements in red for those that may be interested.

How does this ‘fly’?

Stuart

• Like 1

B.w. I advise to pay attention on photoetched from RES-IM for Valom!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/957262-res-im-pe72032-fj-1
This production Eduard under a trademark RES-IM therefore a series is limited.
On the website RES-IM of it photoetched isn't present any more!

http://www.res-im.cz/FJ-1-Fury-SOLD-OUT-d7027.htm
But you still can buy it, for example here:
https://www.jadarhobby.pl/resim-pe72032-172-fj1-fury-valom-p-42048.html?manufacturers_id=449

It not bad in my look:
20180309_144020.jpg

SIGA v.s. RES-IM v.s. Valom:

20180309_144204.jpg
Left SIGA photoetched, center RES-IM photoetced right original Valom photoetced.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Hmm......
Both tanks have central "valve" on the middle. Most likely it is identical on both tank.
Knowing the size of it "valve" on the standard tank, it is possible to give the size of the non-standard tank to similar scale and to calculate what quantity "valve" will be located on the tank in is long. Further to multiply the size by quantity we will receive it is long tank.

B.R.

Serge

I think that "valve" may be for a bolt or something similar to secure the tank to the wing tip. It looks like it is in line with the wing spar. Logically it would serve the same purpose on both tanks. However, at the moment I'm having trouble lining it up with the pictures and the North American drawing that Courageous posted while attempting to use the fins it to scale the two different tanks. For sure, the North American drawing shows the wing tip on the side view of the tank (dotted line) and the tank's outline in the top view in two different locations, which is discouraging (which one is lying to me?).

That said, the Bendix tank I created using the fin as a baseline is about the same size as the Bendix tank drawing I created for my post (http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/03/fj-1-tip-tanks-1948-bendix-race.html) based on it being cobbled up using standard 150-gallon tank fore and aft sections.

Note that a volume analysis may be misleading because the standard tanks clearly have relatively large voids. The FJ-1's wing tip with the tip-tank capability also occupies some portion of the tank. In order for my Bendix tank to work, the voids have to be utilized to get the fuel volume quoted.

Courageous: scaling that NAA drawing pretty accurate on Illustrator, I get a length of 11' 1".

More later...

• Like 1

Again, working from the shadow, you get a good idea of where the leading and trailing edges of the tanks are:

x1

So this is how I see it (diameter not representative and yes I know the fins weren't horizontal and the flange not vertical: those are limitations of my Paintshop skills and patience!)

x2

• Like 1

About drawings and Valom.
I have such Russian edition with drawings on Fury.

20180309_190323.jpg

20180309_190347.jpg

20180309_190445.jpg

These drawings some pirate copy, but polygraphy quite good.
As you see model Valom well there corresponds to these drawings behind an exception the tail a cone and minor problems about  stabilizer.

20180309_190715.jpg

20180309_190728.jpg

20180309_190810.jpg

20180309_190916.jpg

20180309_191044.jpg

All this is remediable!
Everything is good with Valom?! 
But the devil is in details!
At the front view, the asymmetry between left and the right half the fuselage from above is observed!

20180309_191312.jpg

This problem is less expressed than at SIGA, but it is! This problem it is badly remediable.

B.R.

Serge

P.S. This panel line on the wing:

20180309_190831.jpg

it's correct???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Again, working from the shadow, you get a good idea of where the leading and trailing edges of the tanks are:

Very clever - it supports my current assessment. More later after I try harder to resolve some of the inconsistencies in the NAA drawings.

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

P.S. This panel line on the wing:

20180309_190831.jpg

it's correct???

That panel line appears to correspond with the location of the original speed brakes, which extended above and below the wing via a parallelogram mechanism. It was deleted in favor of fuselage-mounted speed brakes following an incident in which one side extended and the other didn't. It's possible that the panel remained but it's not on the pretty good NAA drawing.

• Like 1

Drawing not scaled, but should be easy enough to overlay onto a drawing of known scale. The 'plastic' tanks are in fact the side-view photos of the Bendix tanks, but with the top flipped and copied to show a complete tank. Because they are pretty much side-on in the photo, I think they are a decent rendition of the correct proportions; they are sized to agree with my 'shadow' assumptions.

I've done some more work on this. One problem is inconsistency between available North American drawings of the FJ-1. For example, the scrap view of the tip tanks in the NAA drawing that Stuart posted has a wing-tip interface that is different from the one shown on the top view, which appears to be correct. As a result, I can't be certain that I've correctly captured the size and location of the Bendix tank on the wing tip but I've updated my post with my latest guess: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/03/fj-1-tip-tanks-1948-bendix-race.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I've done some more work on this. One problem is inconsistency between available North American drawings of the FJ-1. For example, the scrap view of the tip tanks in the NAA drawing that Stuart posted has a wing-tip interface that is different from the one shown on the top view, which appears to be correct. As a result, I can't be certain that I've correctly captured the size and location of the Bendix tank on the wing tip but I've updated my post with my latest guess: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/03/fj-1-tip-tanks-1948-bendix-race.html

Nice one: looks about right to me!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you have any luck with the decals?  I am currently trying to finish my SIGA version as the first XFJ-1 for which the kit decals are unsuitable so mine are going spare. I am having a decal problem of my own. I bought a set so that I could finish my Pirate. There were 6 the size I needed and I used 4 on the Pirate. When I came to do the FJ-1 I found it needed the same size decals as the Pirate so I am two short. I don't fancy buying another complete sheet just to get two decals and ending up with two almost complete sheets of useless decals.