1/72 Valom N.A. FJ-1 Fury

Courageous

Stuart. I have just realised that the decals I have would work. There are decals for 102 and 107 so you could cut off the 1 from the 107 and use it to replace the 2 from 102 but try contacting Valom first as you could end up with a fresh sheet. The white in my set looks somewhere between off-white and cream.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpk said:

Tommy, I should have gone to your blog re: the FJ-1. All I have is the Ginter book. It is one of his earliest, (No. 7) and the photos are not the best and it is missing a lot of technical drawings, etc. of his later issues on other subjects. I'm sure the size and scope of the book was limited by the publisher since it is one of his earlier books. Then again, the FJ-1 was not around too long. That could have a lot to do with it as well. 

Actually, that blog post was created to answer Stuart's question. (I have yet to pick another hosting service for photos since Photobucket started charging for the privilege.) That blog is for odds and ends like this. My other two are U.S. Navy Aircraft History and Tailhook Topics. There's a link here: http://tommythomason.com/

In the beginning, Steve (who has always self-published) was only beginning to accumulate material and become acquainted with subject-matter experts. His most recent step forward in quality is color on the inside pages in addition to the front and rear covers. See his recently released Vought SB2U. One of the problems now is that distributors are selling Xerox copies (lower quality paper and illustration reproduction) of his monographs that are out of print, e.g. my F-111B. He has issued at least one monograph (Grumman F11F Tiger) that replaced an original. Hopefully, there will be more.

40 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Sabrejet- thanks. Great images. Any ideas as to the tank dimensions, might scratch-build them?

John- thanks. I have emailed them, let's see what happens.

Stuart

Sadly not: I'm sure some clever person could work out dimensions from the known volume and profile however. Anyone?

• Like 1

SJ, using the 'unscientific' option, I think the images in post #31 would be the most useful. If the 'experts' don't answer, I'll try.

What your images also show are different styles of wheels, different front undercarriage and different fuselage vents.

Stuart

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Sadly not: I'm sure some clever person could work out dimensions from the known volume and profile however. Anyone?

There are not enough knowns and conflicting data. The photos are useful but any measurements need to be corrected for parallax (i.e. the diameter versus the length), which I can only approximate.There is a caption in a article that states the capacity of the tip tanks was doubled (which would be 340 gallons versus 170 per tank). That said, I'm pretty sure these were modified from existing 150-gallon tanks (see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/09/things-under-wings-post-war-external.html) by creating a new center section. As best I can tell so far, the 150-gallon tank was lengthened by about 34 inches to a total of 166 inches. That would add about 48 gallons per tank, not double it. I'm still working on it, though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Actually, that blog post was created to answer Stuart's question. (I have yet to pick another hosting service for photos since Photobucket started charging for the privilege.) That blog is for odds and ends like this. My other two are U.S. Navy Aircraft History and Tailhook Topics. There's a link here: http://tommythomason.com/

In the beginning, Steve (who has always self-published) was only beginning to accumulate material and become acquainted with subject-matter experts. His most recent step forward in quality is color on the inside pages in addition to the front and rear covers. See his recently released Vought SB2U. One of the problems now is that distributors are selling Xerox copies (lower quality paper and illustration reproduction) of his monographs that are out of print, e.g. my F-111B. He has issued at least one monograph (Grumman F11F Tiger) that replaced an original. Hopefully, there will be more.

I know about the newspaper print issues, the A-3 Skywarrior vol 1 issue of mine is that. I was a little upset as I paid full price for it. Vol 2 on the A-3 I have is the higher quality print. I had bought a copy of his first book on the F11F Tiger, actually when it first came out. I still have it.....from humble beginnings. I also have his later, much more comprehensive edition as well. Strangely, I also have his first edition of the F3D Skyknight, vol 4 and he later republished it with a different front cover photo. I've often wondered if I should go ahead and get that issue wondering if it might have additional material the first did not have. So far I have not. I'll end it here as I don't want to hijack Stuart's thread.

I'd like to SJ but wouldn't know how I'd create "Pretty Baby", decal or otherwise.

deliveryService?id=NASM-SI-2006-21922

Does the pilot push/ pull the 'flap' control, parallel to throttle?

What's the small red lever, left of throttle?

What's the larger red lever left of 'FLAP'?

What's the white vertical stick left of seat?

Stuart

36 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I'd like to SJ but wouldn't know how I'd create "Pretty Baby", decal or otherwise.

Does the pilot push/ pull the 'flap' control, parallel to throttle?

What's the white vertical stick left of seat?

Stuart

The flap control is moved up and down. It's on the back side (vertical face) of the throttle quadrant. The white vertical stick is topped by two side-by-side wheels and is used to raise and lower the landing gear.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The flap control is moved up and down. It's on the back side (vertical face) of the throttle quadrant. The white vertical stick is topped by two side-by-side wheels and is used to raise and lower the landing gear.

That's 2 out of 4, cheers TT.

Stuart

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Stuart

Small lever is the throttle lock; larger red lever is the speed brake lever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, just a little update for those that may be interested.

Using the aircraft in post #31, I believe that the lower image is 6% smaller than the top, so I made them the same size(ish) and measured the tanks. Knowing the 'actual' dimensions of the smaller top tank and using a bit of calculator work, it looks like the larger tanks were 36" diameter and 16' long.

Whether this works out to be 290 US gallons or not, don't know but it would give me tanks measuring 12.7 mm diameter and 67.7 mm long.

Stuart

• Thanks 2

Hi peeps. I've set my 'wiz-kid' eldest a task in the shape of 3D printing a set of these larger tanks for me. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Quick question: What was the colour of the jet intake on this a/c; natural aluminium, painted, or...

Stuart 

On 3/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, Courageous said:

Hi guys, just a little update for those that may be interested.

Using the aircraft in post #31, I believe that the lower image is 6% smaller than the top, so I made them the same size(ish) and measured the tanks. Knowing the 'actual' dimensions of the smaller top tank and using a bit of calculator work, it looks like the larger tanks were 36" diameter and 16' long.

Whether this works out to be 290 US gallons or not, don't know but it would give me tanks measuring 12.7 mm diameter and 67.7 mm long.

Stuart

I've never had any luck with accurately scaling overall shapes from photographs and relative to the tanks shown here: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2018/03/fj-1-tip-tanks-1948-bendix-race.html, your estimate would be almost as long as the longest tank and twice its diameter. I don't think that's likely. Note that scaling the NAA drawing, the standard tank is a little over 29 inches in diameter and about 10 feet 9 inches long. Are those the dimensions you used?

• Like 1