Revell 144 Snowberry can be built as?

Harrypotter

A lot of flowers can be built from the kit. Check out this link for images of many of the ships in the class -

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/theflowerclasscorvetteforums/

The differences that are not possible to build from the kit are those with the following parts -

The Modified Flower sub class(these need a new hull)

Some Canadian ships had a squarish stern

Minesweeping gear

Round radar lantern

Curved 4" gun shield

Tall depth charge racks ther are at least 3 types

Alternate 4" gun platform with a low bulwark around the edge

Those with extra Oerlikons

I've just been looking at the kit and there are a few errors.

In addition to the error with the shoulder support, the Oerlikons guns are mirror images of what they should be. They are also mk1's which do not need the tub moulded on the bridge floor.

The transverse wheelhouse bulkhead is also a mirror image of what is should be. The bulkhead behind it should also be on the other side of the ship's centreline from where the instructions and locating slot are.

On the wheelhouse the doors on the sides are modelled as 2 hinged doors on each side. However there should 1 sliding door on each side.

I think Niall's covered most if it.  In some respects Snowberry was an unusual Corvette.

For any British boat - you'll need to scratch some "dodgers" that sit next to the 4" gun bandstand.  Adapting the 4" gun turret to a curved (largely) British version is not hard and for comparatively little you can get a round Radar lantern...

3D boats

L'arsenal are worth checking out as they now do individual components rather than one big set.  Their Oerlikons are superb.

And Coastal Craft Models have promised dedicated 1/144 Corvette decal sets ....

..which sees your way through to a lot of ships.

My build of Crocus is here which includes all of the above

Looking forward to seeing what you chooseB)

Rob

Thanks guys, Rob your build is ridiculously inspiring (and daunting).

Is the round radar for the 271? Type as opposed to the sw1c? 

I've been on the forum suggested, some excellent stuff there. There any resources that are useful for nailing down a specific ships unique differences?  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harrypotter said:

Thanks guys, Rob your build is ridiculously inspiring (and daunting).

Is the round radar for the 271? Type as opposed to the sw1c? 

I've been on the forum suggested, some excellent stuff there. There any resources that are useful for nailing down a specific ships unique differences?  

Thanks - It's not really daunting - (promise;))

I think the lattice radar lantern (3D boats and others) was very common and the pane version on Snowberry quite uncommon.  The internal kit - differed but I don't think the type of radar determined the lantern (http://jproc.ca/haida/radar.html)

The simple answer to your last point is yes and NO.   IMO the single most useful reference is Shipcraft's "Flower Class Corvettes" by Lambert and Brown.  This is cheap and freely available.  There are other publications mostly out of print that are now fetching silly prices .  "Ensign 3 - Flower Class Corvettes" by Preston & Raven can still be picked up on Ebay - look for a bargain price.  The IWM collection on line is a great source and in truth many of the best pics on the Corvette forum site hail from there.  It's often a case of trawling through the web and comparing vessels, they were built in different sites and countries and  evolved throughout the war - most had at least 2 or 3 refits that altered their appearance considerably.  No 2 Corvettes seem to be identical.

Colour schemes are a nightmare.  This site already has some very useful threads on this and Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/18770-jamie-sovereign-hobbies/) is doing some really interesting re- evaluative work.  Half the attraction in Corvettes is the research and "detection work".  

Come back if you are after specific details and I'll go through my references.

The basic kit is very good!

HTH

Rob

Edited by robgizlu

The octagonal lantern was the design first used, this was then replaced by the round one. It does not seem that ships were refitted with the round one if they had the octagonal one.

I've been working on some 3D prints of alternate parts for the kit, namely the curved gun shield, round lantern, tall depth charge racks and minesweeping gear. I'll also do the alternate 4" gun platform and possibly the extra Oerlikon platforms that some ships had(mainly those in the med and arctic convoys). These will be up on my Shapeways shop in a few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niall said:

The octagonal lantern was the design first used, this was then replaced by the round one. It does not seem that ships were refitted with the round one if they had the octagonal one.

I've been working on some 3D prints of alternate parts for the kit, namely the curved gun shield, round lantern, tall depth charge racks and minesweeping gear. I'll also do the alternate 4" gun platform and possibly the extra Oerlikon platforms that some ships had(mainly those in the med and arctic convoys). These will be up on my Shapeways shop in a few days.

Do you have a link to your shapeways shop?

• 2 weeks later...

Just uploaded all the 1/144th scale parts I designed to Shapeways.

There is one additional difference between Snowberry and other Flowers. The rectangular life rafts were fitted in 1942 refit in the USA, other Flowers used the only the round ended Carley floats,like the other 2 in the kit, or a flat rectangular raft.

• 1 month later...

Niall, Looking forward to you getting the forward gun finished. Then I can get on with Bluebell. Be great if you do the 20mm bridge guns. Make a set that can use brass barrels as I think printed ones will always look too thick. 

I see that Revell have just released HMS Buttercup complete with acoustic hammer and minesweeping kit. 

Presumably a few more options now.

IanJ 

I have just purchased the butter cup kit and this book got them last weekend at the Scottish National show will be making sure I read up on all the small differences before I make a start

IMG_4763.jpg

beefy

• Like 2