1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa

monsjmse

Easter has been and gone, so I missed my deadline :think:. I saw my brother and showed him the latest pictures, which went down ok. I guess there is no rush for delivery as I probably won't see him again until Christmas - it will definitely be finished by then :wink:. I have a Defiant to build for the RAF 100 GB, which I'm itching to get started, so I'll have both on the go at the same time. I don't want the Spitfire to gather dust on the shelf and I know if I don't start the Defiant, it won't get finished by the end of the GB.

Anyway, I peeled off the masking and took half the W&N gloss coat with it - I either need more patience or to try a different varnish. Thankfully I didn't lose any of the underlying paint and despite my mistakes and re-sprays on the top camo, the lines look sharp with no visible paint ridges, thankfully.

41016392442_e734592f25_z.jpg26187641777_8b620fd2a0_z.jpg

I didn't fancy the long black stencil line decals for the wings, so I put some masking tape down and painted some on. Turned out ok :phew:.

27364183398_66f043ca85_z.jpg26364882797_db9fa38450_z.jpg

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 21:42, Mattlow said:

Nice work on the Spitfire. I don't think I'd be getting such good results on model number 3 after 20 year break..!

Matt

Thanks Matt :smile:.

I forgot to mention my first attempt at using chipping medium (Vallejo). I only did this on the port wing root, layering some dull aluminium on top of the primer and adding the medium on top before painting the camo pattern. I had to attack it fairly vigorously to get the paint off and when it started coming off it didn't feel very controlled. As the top paint layer is a bit thicker than I would have liked, you can definitely tell that the aluminium colour is underneath, rather than above as it would have been if I had dabbed it on. It certainly seems more random than I could have achieved with a brush or a sponge and some alu paint. 

40523531634_ef0d26b6e7_c.jpg

I've made a little progress and managed to get all the decals on now... Gone for 65 (East India) Squadron markings.

26364959097_78d217bc1f_z.jpg41194039482_802381a110_z.jpg

The underside roundels gave me a few headaches with all the lumps and bumps they are 'painted' over. At one point I seriously considered binning them and trying to paint them on, but in the end I opted to cut a hole to accommodate the worst of the protruding parts. A load of Microset later and the result was satisfactory. I'll paint it white later.

39495485960_7002a5b2db_z.jpg

• Like 3