Best way to cut FW-190 nose?

Gardner95x

Hey,

I have the Hasegawa 1/32 FW190 D-9 with the Aires full detail set which tells me I have to cut open the nose part of the plane.

I'm fairly new to modelling so was just wondering what the easiest way would be to cut open the nose neatly?

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/02/2018 at 20:16, Gardner95x said:

Hey,

I have the Hasegawa 1/32 FW190 D-9 with the Aires full detail set which tells me I have to cut open the nose part of the plane.

I'm fairly new to modelling so was just wondering what the easiest way would be to cut open the nose neatly?

have a look to see if there are any other builds,  as it's 1/32nd,  look at Large Scale Planes site.

and,  after typing the above,  a google of 'Aires 1/32nd Fw190D'   gets this

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=879

But,  if you are fairly new too modelling,  this maybe a path to dissapontment,   Aires sets are often noted for not fitting well,  and a combination of resin and photo eych, plus kit modification maybe  steep learning curve,  with it all going a bit wrong and messing up some expensive kit and detail set.

I'm saying you  can't do it,  just that this is really going to be a 'measure twice,cut once' scenario,  and  having a few 1/48th Aires sets like this,  looking at what is involved,   they  are not for beginners.

theres a lot in the set.

150161-12004-67-pristine.jpg

A question or two,   have you worked with resin before,  have you  worked with photo etch before?   If the answer is no, or not much,   then I'd suggest some simpler modifications using these materials before what will be a long and complicated project.

Dennis recommendations are sound,   given what you will cut awayis to be discarded,  then make the main cuts in scrap areas,  and then trim back the  excess to the panel lines.

for a panel,   like a fuselage radiopanel,  a series of small holes drilled around the edges,  can then be cut through and the hole cleaned up.

If you  have a scrap  model,  you should have a practice on that first. 

You might want to  consider doing a Work In Progress thread,   as there are many helpful and experienced modellers who  will help out with suggestions and support.

HTH

• Like 1

Just had a look and there have been a couple of builds like this before on BM, but don't get excited as all the photos have gone. I don't know if you will be able to gleen any info of any worth from the text:

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, SA80A2AR said:

a very sharp scalpel will also come in handy, along with dymo tape as a guide

I'd like to think that ten months later, the original poster has now cut the nose off. Although he may, as @Artie hinted at, still be trying to fit the Aires engine.