This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Troffa

Enemy Coast Ahead! DAM BUSTERS at 75!

Blinkety flipping flip!

"The DAM BUSTERS" , The seminal 1955 Michael Anderson film, starring Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave,  is back on the big screen in the UK, for 1 day only, get your tix now before I "Chastise" you some more- I am so stoked ! :D

http://www.thedambusters75.co.uk

Brand new 4k restoration?

Sounds like Peter Jackson has been beaten to the finish line.

Well he had plenty of time. I doubt we'll ever see it. I Would be interested in reading the Stephen Fry script. 

I'll wait for the full Director's cut edition on DVD :wink:

Rich

It's the chance of seeing it on the big screen with a cinema sound system that is the draw for me. Can't wait.

I shall have to call round and get a couple of tickets.

Even though I know the film word for word, I shall be interested in the restoration . . . .  I wonder if that will include colour ??

Ian

Or the name of the dog! That's a night to be booked up in May

Thanks for the heads up

The film will still be in black and white, there is a teaser trailer on youtube. Have a look for dam busters at 75, its studio canal who have the rights. 

Saw The Dam Busters a great many years ago at the local cinema, will certainly be going to the showing in May.  Can't beat it on the big screen!  Thanks for the heads up on this as I knew nothing about it! :) 

I believe that this film is only being played in London and relayed at the same time to many other cinemas nationwide...............isnt it amazing what technology can do.......

Headed off to our local cinema tonight with family - three generations.  Odd in that I last saw it in the cinema after being taken to see it by my grandparents when it first came out !!

On 28/02/2018 at 20:26, Mancunian airman said:

I shall be interested in the restoration . . . .  I wonder if that will include colour ??

Ian

Ian - better not be - imagine everyone on here arguing about how far back the black goes in the interior and whether the green camo was right shade, pre shading of panel lines and was Trumpeter the advisors on the bomb shape - Oh it could go on for months on here :D 

I'd be interested in a 4K Blurry of the original if it comes out in the end, and it'd be a bit wasteful not to after restoring it.  I've always had a copy of that film on-hand in whatever is the latest and greatest vidya format, so a 4K one would be just the ticket.  The only part of the film that makes the old toes curl up is the explosion effect, which seems to use some footage of churning water cut into the model shot to recreate the plume caused by the explosions.  The rest of it holds up pretty well considering :)

Agree reference the very poor Water Explosion SFX 😯 And  I doubt the've gone and done a George Lucas CGI update on it, but I'll let you know - 

Studio Canal have announced that this new 4K restoration is coming out in June, collectors edition and Blu-ray along with a DVD release.   Ker-ching! 

Dam Busters Blu-Ray

Posted (edited)

Off to Cineworld Gloucester within the hour for this. 

Here is my Dambuster Lancaster

Airfix_Lancaster_DB.jpg

The only Lancaster to ever be hijacked.  Like if you want to hear the story.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

16 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Agree reference the very poor Water Explosion SFX 😯 And  I doubt the've gone and done a George Lucas CGI update on it, but I'll let you know - 

Studio Canal have announced that this new 4K restoration is coming out in June, collectors edition and Blu-ray along with a DVD release.   Ker-ching! 

Dam Busters Blu-Ray

I'm not convinced that's 4k :hmmm: Most 4K movies have that silver UHD banner across the top, but this one doesn't.  There's no mention of it in the blurb either :(

Good point Mike, the cinema version was presented as " A brand new 4K Restoration" but the Blu-Ray looks to be the highest Definition home release. 

The Film was very enjoyable, I would have preferred 30 minutes of the Dan Snow hosted pre-show from the Royal Albert Hall, rather than the hour we got, but the flying sequences looked spectacular on the big screen, and Richard Todd is brilliant as Gibson. 

I would have preferred none of Mr. Snow's ego trip, frankly. It added nothing to the event. 

The film itself more than made up for it, and seeing it like that makes you appreciate it a lot more. It also helps you to notice things like the Canberra sitting in the background of one airfield shot.

An enjoyable evening. 

5 hours ago, Troffa said:

Good point Mike, the cinema version was presented as " A brand new 4K Restoration" but the Blu-Ray looks to be the highest Definition home release. 

Seems a bit of a daft idea not to make some money back on all that expense they went to, but until I see that 4K UHD banner on the top of the Bluray or some other conclusive proof that I'm buying a 4K version of the film, my hand will stay in my pocket :shrug:

Maybe they'll just hold it back a while to maximise the double-down revenue from those that just can't wait.  Mind you, we're still waiting for a 4K SW: The Force Awakens :(

Posted (edited)

Epic film, just wish I'd booked up earlier. I was 2nd row back, with the front gunners - a BIT too close, and looking up all the time.

Agreeing that the pre-show was a bit long winded.

BluRay comes out on 4th June. 

In the meantime, I've had a FREE DVD of the film from the Daily Mail a few years ago.  Should be pence only in charity shops by now.

Just looking over it now, for the first time. No chapter controls, so it's difficult to navigte, but picture and sound quality is just fine for my HDready TV.  And I'm not surrounded by people with popcorn.

I spotted a Lincoln with 4 blade props out on the airfield.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Epic film, just wish I'd booked up earlier. I was 2nd row back, with the front gunners - a BIT too close, and looking up all the time.

Agreeing that the pre-show was a bit long winded.

BluRay comes out on 4th June. 

In the meantime, I've had a FREE DVD of the film from the Daily Mail a few years ago.  Should be pence only in charity shops by now.

Just looking over it now, for the first time. No chapter controls, so it's difficult to navigte, but picture and sound quality is just fine for my HDready TV.  And I'm not surrounded by people with popcorn.

I spotted a Lincoln with 4 blade props out on the airfield.

It’s one of the extremely rare occasions where being stuck at the back in a wheelchair is an advantage!  Really wonderful to see the film in the cinema again, just a shame it was only for one night.

Does anyone know what aircraft is in the background when the Very Senior Officer gets out of his car by Gibson's lanc just before the raid departs?  I caught sight of large white codes on a black surface, but didn't identify the type.