Morko Morane - Lapland War Autumn 1944, kitbash 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Finland was brave during WWII. They protected independace in Winter War after Soviet attack in 1939 (though lost some part of land), then (hoping to take this land back) joined German agression on Soviets (named in Finland The Continuation War), but in September 1944 made a separate armistance (which for sure protected them of became under Soviets in post war time). German army, who was present in Finland, was suppouse to step back via Northern Finland (Lapland) to occupied Norway, however in their return Germans started to destroy bridges and so on. This made that next war stated. This time against Germans, so called Lapland War, which lasted till first days of April 1945. Such change of alliances happend  in many countries during WWII (starting from France, Italy and Bulgaria, Romania ...). This is interesting to observe it on war machines used. Initally Finnland have mostly Allied equipment (French like Morane, British like Gladiators, Gauntlets, Hurricanes, Blenheims, American like  Brewster Buffalo, Dutch like Fokker D XXI & CX, Koolhoven FK 53 but also Italian (Fiat G-50) . They have also own constructions (Myrsky, Pyry...). After starting allians with Germans the Me 109, Ju 88  and Do 17 appeared as weel as some ex French Hawks and Moranes MS 410. However the support of repairing parts for all Allied countries was stopped. They were able to buy some needed engines in Sweden as well as  repaired captured or bought from Germany captured Russian airplanes. This kept the Finish aviation alive - by the way with the incredible loses to wins ratio about 1/10! One of such modification was Morko Morane - the reconstructed original Morane 406/410 fighter where instead of original Hispano Suiza engine a Russian Klimov engine was installed, together with more slim nose, new prop, oil radiator from Me 109, new glicol radiator and some miner changies. Those Klimov engines were obtained from Germany (who captured and repaired them) and some 40 old airframes of MS 406/410  were modified in 1944/45 to newer standard.

Some years ago I've bought Maquette Morko Morane kit (1/72). This is basicly old Frog Morane 406 with new fuselage. It is very basic so I've immediately bought also a Hobby Boss MS 406 intending to mix them to get one model of Morko Morane. Meanwhile RS issued a genui Morko, but I ignored it keeping original idea. So the model is kitbash of Maquette Morko Morane, Hobby Boss MS 406 and some scratch work. Dimed Finish Swastika (introduced in Spring '44) and removed yellow markings are typical for time of Lapland War. Those decals are by Techmod. 

This MSv-624 was one of first Morko and was scored with one win but in end of war against  Soviets. It was one of three of this type who took active role in Lapland War.

Many thanks to people from  Finish Museum of Avaiation who helped me in getting all this data in discussion here and in PMs.

Here is results:

38661698240_a97aaf0789_b.jpg

40472325241_ebc4b94d0f_b.jpg

40472326381_5e5642f711_b.jpg

40472328241_5d8329fa6e_b.jpg

39761769314_3395a64130_b.jpg

40428811812_bb5c1eda3c_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S.

I was unable to upload photos from Flickr with Chrome, after installing Firefox it went OK :)

Anybody had similar problem?

Edited by JWM
  • Like 19

Lovely job! Swapping out the engine and radiator makes the Morane slightly more attractive (IMO). A have a sneaking affection for the MS 406, so I might follow you with one of these, especially as the Morko is merely ugly, as opposed to downright hideous as its parent was!

• Like 1

Hello Jerzy!

You have built a nice "Mörkö-Morane" from an interesting era! I especially like the colours you have used; they look very good. The aircraft from Lapland War and from the immediate post war years are rarely seen as models. They would make an interesting collection. For example there was a Bf-109 G6 based at Utti AB still carrying it's original German camouflage and carrying blue swastikas on wings and the new roundels on fuselage sides! Imagine that...

A few comments on the history part. Soviet Union started also the Continuation War by bombing Helsinki (capital city). Weapons became available for purchase from Germany but with a price; Germany expected Finland to fight alongside it's armed forces against the SU. Indeed the opportunity to win back lost areas on Carelian Isthmus was too good to miss. In the summer of 1944 the Soviets started an extremely heavy attack against all Finnish positions and many cities as well. During this time a detachment of the German Luftwaffe was sent to Immola AB in the eastern border to reduce the pressure on Finnish ground troops. The detachment was called "Osasto Kuhlmey" ("Detachment Kuhlmey") named after it's commanding officer. During the campaign Det. Kuhlmey lost many aircraft as well as their air crew members. It is possible that without this help we Finns might have lost the battle and the war with it. Then came the time of peace negotations with the Soviets. One of their first demands was that all German forces had to be forced out from Finnish territory very quickly. At first the Germans retreated in good order but after a while and pressure from the Finnish government war broke out between Finnish and German forces in Lapland.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

You’ve built something I’ve heard of for a change!

Thanks, Pete. Sorry for dissapointing :)  - next is Fokker CX with Pegasus engine also from Finland. Almost finished. I am affraid that it will be also known one...

33 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

You have built a nice "Mörkö-Morane" from an interesting era! I especially like the colours you have used; they look very good. The aircraft from Lapland War and from the immediate post war years are rarely seen as models. They would make an interesting collection. For example there was a Bf-109 G6 based at Utti AB still carrying it's original German camouflage and carrying blue swastikas on wings and the new roundels on fuselage sides! Imagine that...

Anttii, many thanks. This Messer must be from first days of April 45 I think.

Colours from top are  Humbrol enamels, black (33) and green 1:1 116+117, bottom 1:1 65+34. Propeller is Humbrol 91 in role of RLM 70. Actually currently I am doing a series of Finns. Blackburn Rippon in last Autumn, then Pyry a month ago, now Morko, almost finished Fokker C-X from Winter War and I alredy started Myrsky and Fokker DXXI. On shelves there are Junkers K43, Lysander and Buffalo.  In stash there is still Gamecock and not decided yet to be done in Finish markings Gauntlet...

And perhaps something of ex Soviet captured...

Thanks for  historical addition.

29 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Swapping out the engine and radiator makes the Morane slightly more attractive (IMO). A have a sneaking affection for the MS 406, so I might follow you with one of these, especially as the Morko is merely ugly, as opposed to downright hideous as its parent was!

Mitch, thanks! I remeber your build of Croatian Morane 406 or 410. It was very nicely detiled and was a great result. Perhpas doing Morko Morane it is better to use RS kit rather then such kitbashing but I was alredy a kind of hostage of own past decissions - what I have in stash obliged me to do...

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Hello Jerzy-Wojtek!

As I use Humbrol paints myself I will try your "mixing formulas"; thanks for the tip:)

You have quite a collection of Finnish AF aircraft coming off from the production line. Myrsky is of special interest of mine. Did you knew that one is being restored here in Finland? You can find more information on Suomen Ilmailumuseo (Finnish Aviation Museum) website. One Myrsky dived into a field some years after the war some 15 kilometres away from my current house. The wreckage and pilot (or what's left of them) are still buried some seven meters deep...

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

You have quite a collection of Finnish AF aircraft coming off from the production line. Myrsky is of special interest of mine. Did you knew that one is being restored here in Finland? You can find more information on Suomen Ilmailumuseo (Finnish Aviation Museum) website. One Myrsky dived into a field some years after the war some 15 kilometres away from my current house. The wreckage and pilot (or what's left of them) are still buried some seven meters deep..

Antti, the WWII Finish airplanes have very attractive schemes with all those colours. And there was a lot of types used there. I have not heard about restoration of Myrsky, but I've seen in net Bufflo and Ripon.  And in Krakow mueseum there is now going on restoration of Caudron 714 from Finland. 

I was in Helsinki twice, each time for few days only. First time in 2009 second in 2016. During first time I visited Museum of Aviation - I think it is the small one perhaps near airport. My friend Jussi took me there by car.  During second time we were planing visit to this main museum in the middle of country but when I arrived it appeared too difficult to fit in time - both time I was in a duty trip from my work...

Cheers

J-W

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm liking this a lot Jerzy, I think I've found what I want to do with my RSmodels Morko, this is a neat scheme, & beautifully done. :)

Steve.

Steve, many thanks. I am sure you'll get a lot of joy with contruction :).  

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Very nice build and thanks for the historical details (which I am still reading).

It is wonderful to be educated while also looking at someone's great handiwork.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice build and thanks for the historical details (which I am still reading).

It is wonderful to be educated while also looking at someone's great handiwork.

:goodjob:

Thank you! :) 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Another interesting subject and great build J-W :thumbsup:

I am just trying... Many thanks 

Regards

J-W