New Airfix 1/48th Sea Fury, 803 NAS, Royal Canadian Navy, 1948.

Hiya Folks,

Here is the new 1/48th scale Airfix Sea Fury and on the whole I was very happy with it as it is light years ahead of the older Hobbycraft and Trumpeter kits and really does look every inch a Sea Fury too,....... but the fit of the cowling parts was a bit off and required plastic shims to be placed along the seam lines of the engine access doors which need to be bulked out so that they match the dorward cowling ring and rear engine ring. 

The model was brush painted using Tamiya and Polly Scale acrylics and had a nightmare with the gloss varnish,......initially used Humbrol 35 varnish but the brush shed some bristles and the dog must have had a good shake nearby as the varnish dried,......because the model ended up almost as hairy as Chewbakka from Star Wars!!! The varnish was carefully sanded smooth and polished,..... with Kleer floor polish and the decals added,......followed by a watercolour wash to add some panel line detail. The markings came from an excellent sheet by Mike Grant Decals,.....here is the partial WIP from the painting stages onwards;

Here is a WIP pic showing the Mike Grant sheet;

39554605544_d1304167bb_k.jpg

And here is the finished model;

26628574028_f4d524adc4_k.jpg

25628830297_10f21f4af8_k.jpg

40499687461_bf702f9be7_k.jpgDSCF2534_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

25628828527_6f6bfd7733_k.jpgDSCF2538_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26628615548_85e8954dc2_k.jpgDSCF2530_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

25628833517_526036c66d_k.jpgDSCF2529_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here is the old Hobbycraft kit that it has just replaced in my cabinet!;

40499685611_b65ba257de_k.jpgDSCF2540_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 49

Oh yes. Lovely job Tony. Looks just the part. That low demarcation paint scheme is definitely the best. The old one is nice too mind!

Over the weekend I picked up a 1/72 Special Hobby one. Will compare & contrast with the Tumpeter kit in my stash, and then we'll see which way to go...

Justin

• Like 1

On 27/02/2018 at 9:26 PM, CJP said:

Nice work on the Airfix kit - is there no room for the Hobbycraft Sea Fury too as it looks nicely done too?

CJP

Cheers,.....no I`ve had to stick the Hobbycraft model into the `reserve collection' in the cellar! It does look rather ropey alongside the new model!

Tony

• Like 2

Hello,Tony - We really enjoyed seeing you at Huddersfield Show. Another joy to behold here as well.This Sea Fury looks the business,as do all your builds.Great work as always.I’m tempted to go for this kit and park her alongside my RN Phantom.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Tony - We really enjoyed seeing you at Huddersfield Show. Another joy to behold here as well.This Sea Fury looks the business,as do all your builds.Great work as always.I’m tempted to go for this kit and park her alongside my RN Phantom.

All The Best,Paul.😉👍

It was lovely to meet yourself and your lovely better half Pam again too mate,..... always is. Glad you like the Sea Fury mate,.....it is a corking model and you`ll enjoy it if you get one.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

I have a question, but first let me say what wonderful job you did on the new kit. Great result! Well done! An inspiration for those of us about to embark on our own versions. My question. Is the pilot's name on the Lt P Carmichael? Getting on towards my three score and ten years my eyesight isn't quite what it once was! If so, is the same Commander peter Carmichael who shot down the Mig in a Sea Fury during the Korean War, or just an amazing coincidence, or simply my rubbish eyesight playing tricks on me!

PS - another question. It looks from your great photos that the kit can be posed with wings up or down, without committing to either. Is that the case? I haven't actually received my kit yet.

David