Curtiss P-40L, 86th FS, 79th FG, Italy 1944

My first new-build model of the year is the Hobbycraft P-40F kit built as a P-40L the crashed during the Anzio invasion due to sabotage and is now displayed in the museum at Piana del Orme in Latina, Italy. These markings interested me due to the non-standard insignia, old code repaints and errors (see the right-side fin-flash).

I used Eduard seatbelts, resin wheels, Squadron canopy, Vallejo paints and Sky Models decals to finish this model.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

MhfjwtC.jpg

vvGq76l.jpg

tTmjO2N.jpg

wFDzO22.jpg

• Like 44

Lovely job,..... my favourite USAAF P-40 colours and marking too......ever since `Skipper' was pulled out of the sea in such amazing condition during the 1990`s,

Cheers

Tony

Great job Chris,

Just goes to show that one can produce a great looking model from an alleged 'lemon' of a kit (not by me). I cannot see anything wrong with the kit though mindful of the aftermarket you have included which is not that extensive after all. I was fortunate enough to visit the museum at Piana del Orme a couple of times whilst living in Italy and was always impressed with the display of 'Skipper' in their life-sized diorama section, as I used to describe it. As an aside, for those interested in military (rather then aviation) history, the museum is well worth a visit - it has a huge collection of military vehicles (often hired out for movies) and several life-sized diorama displays charting Italy's military involvement in the former colonies (Ethiopia, Libya etc), WWII and then some of the Allied actions (Anzio etc). Its about an hour's drive south of Rome.

Again, great subject, excellent execution. Well Done, Sir !