HMS Invincible R05, 1981

Paul E

• 2 weeks later...

Great flight deck work.  I masked mine (1/350, mind) so I completely understand how getting straight lines makes your brain hurt.  Yours looks mighty convincing (not that I am remotely surprised, since it's you!)

Lovely job.

Just picked up on this thread. Some impressive work there. Getting 1/700 ships to "look right" is a very skilled art IMHO, and you certainly seem to have it!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly my apologies, this build is taking a lot longer than it should.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, Martian Hale said:

That flight deck looks amazing!

Martan

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

Outstanding workmanship Sir!

I will echo the Martian here, that flightdeck DOES look amazing! Nice work with the decals.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great flight deck work.  I masked mine (1/350, mind) so I completely understand how getting straight lines makes your brain hurt.  Yours looks mighty convincing (not that I am remotely surprised, since it's you!)

Lovely job.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, Terry1954 said:

Just picked up on this thread. Some impressive work there. Getting 1/700 ships to "look right" is a very skilled art IMHO, and you certainly seem to have it!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Terry

Thank you guys, your comments are very much appreciated.

Having completed the flight deck markings I have turned my attention to the boats. These have proved quite a challenge getting them to look right.

42553885881_b68028755a_h.jpg

The Huntress Fast Motor Boat moulding needed quite a lot of hacking around to get it to look anything like representative.

41652032375_c81bca5d8f_h.jpg

41061336000_738f393bcf_h.jpg

I also had a go at the photo etch davits by trying to thicken them up in profile by painting plastic filler to the reverse side.

42823530152_ab27c5cb6f_h.jpg

It seemed like a good idea but it needs quite a few coats to get anywhere near representative. The davits also needed a bit of trimming to fit. I have now fitted the boats although there are one or two minor details left that I still need to do to finish them.

42264324165_f43ddbcd95_h.jpg

42450649584_d05f381521_h.jpg

Apart from the boats I have also been adding some small scratch built extra bits of detail

41067753380_5bd199d040_h.jpg

Like these sights and signal lamps located on the bridge roof.

42269494825_3a1fa993ca_h.jpg

And that is it for the moment.

My next job consists of fitting the hull to its base and fitting the remaining railings and flight deck nets.

Until the next instalment.

:thanks:

• Like 12

Minor detail question, but are you sure that the bridge roof guardrails are collapsible (i.e. have black horizontal bars rather than grey)?  That Huntress is a vast improvement.  Nice work.

21 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Minor detail question, but are you sure that the bridge roof guardrails are collapsible (i.e. have black horizontal bars rather than grey)?  That Huntress is a vast improvement.  Nice work.

Good Point! but after a quick google; bizarely it appears as though the guard rails around the bridge roof are indeed collapsible. Which I must admit is a relief! I am currently struggling to work out if I should be fitting guard rails around the outboard side of the aircraft park forward of the island or not.

Brilliant work. Your attention to detail is superb.

Stirs me up to pick up on my 1/700 Ark Royal IV conversion from the old Fujimi kit, to her seventies fit prior to last cruise. I got as far as cutting a new flight deck shape. I became less inspired when I learned Atlantic Models have brought one out!

Terry

On 7/6/2018 at 8:56 AM, Paul E said:

I am currently struggling to work out if I should be fitting guard rails around the outboard side of the aircraft park forward of the island or not.

Assuming the ships and our use of them didn’t change radically post-1990 (when I last flew from a CVS), I’d say not.  Often used as a ground running spot - and the AEW cabs even operated from there (“Spot 0”) occasionally.  Nets, not guard rails

On 06/07/2018 at 08:56, Paul E said:

I am currently struggling to work out if I should be fitting guard rails around the outboard side of the aircraft park forward of the island or not.

That area had both safety nets and guard rails; however, as Crisp as already confirmed, the rails were usually removed due to being at constant flying stations, so nets were the main feature at that time period.

Here is an official layout plan and this shows the safety net location ahead of the bridge.

hms_invincible_1981_layout_1280.jpg

Close in view

hms_invincible_1981_spot_0_1280.jpg

As can be seen in this view, the guard rails are vertical stanchions with horizontal chains running between them.  These rails were removable, for flying stations, but the safety nets were a fixed fitting.

hms_invincible_1981_spot_0.png

This post-1982 view shows the guard rails to good effect.

hms_invincible_1981_spot_0_1000.jpg

HTH

Mike

• Like 2

Thank you Mike and Crisp,

Your guidance and help is much appreciated. My take away from this is that it isn't hard and fast whether the railings were rigged or not although mostly not when the ship was at flying stations.  

I have decided to go with not having railings on the outboard side and have the railings forward rigged on account of the potential of my 1/700 scale grubbers using the Yokohama fenders as a bouncy castle for yellow gear!

:thanks: Paul

On 21/05/2018 at 17:20, Paul E said:

I know it has been since I last posted on this build, things are still progressing even if it is a glacial pace, so thank you for your patience.

Fitting the railings into the hull openings is a slow and laborious task with the PE rails having to be cut carefully to size to fit into each of the openings. Once cut to size the railings were carefully glued in place. Not very exciting I’m afraid.

42228783131_cd8c210ad5_k.jpg

I have also added the photo etch to the island superstructure:

42228778541_1c35874d62_k.jpg

Before I can fit the superstructure to the hull I need to address the issue of flight deck markings. The Jecobin plans that I have are not very helpful on this front. I did however find this very useful photograph in one of my books:

28355653658_d7fb4d4334_h.jpg

The kit decals are somewhat lacking with regard to the flight deck markings, providing only the thick black and white flight line and none of the white lines.  My fix to this was to purchase some 1mm with white line decals from Fox Transfers:

42228787041_47293315bb_h.jpg

41507016764_94e731a6cd_h.jpg

Applying the decals is quite challenging, particularly trying to keep the lines straight.

28355711288_de6c57089d_h.jpg

I am not too happy about the kit supplied flight centreline decal, it is too short and the white bands either side of the black line are uneven. Had I known before hand I would have invested in more decals from Fox Transfers and done my own. Any way although I still I have a way to go, I think you can see where I am going with this.

The next update will have the flightdeck markings complete. Soon I hope.

Thanks for looking :thanks:

Paul

Great what you have done with the flight deck markings,this has always held me back, from going this class ,because they were so poor ,what comes with the the kit.Already on Fox Tranfers  site.Thanks 

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:49, Paul E said:

41061336000_738f393bcf_h.jpg

I also had a go at the photo etch davits by trying to thicken them up in profile by painting plastic filler to the reverse side.

It seemed like a good idea but it needs quite a few coats to get anywhere near representative. The davits also needed a bit of trimming to fit. I have now fitted the boats although there are one or two minor details left that I still need to do to finish them.

Hard to believe that that Huntress is 1/700 scale.  Superb detailing.

The problem with the davits is a common one I find with PE.  Sometimes it is just too thin.  Whilst I acknowledge that I normally work in 1/600 rather than 1/700, I usually take the kit supplied items and thin those down rather than try to thicken the PE

But great work. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Chris Hewitt said:

Great what you have done with the flight deck markings,this has always held me back, from going this class ,because they were so poor ,what comes with the the kit.Already on Fox Tranfers  site.Thanks 

Thank you Chris,

My apologies for not answering earlier. The decals that come with the kit are the black flightdeck centreline, the spot numbers, the distance marker numbers, the big letter N and the pennant numbers. Every thing else came from the Fox transfer sheets posted in the pictures.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:25 AM, Chewbacca said:

Hard to believe that that Huntress is 1/700 scale.  Superb detailing.

The problem with the davits is a common one I find with PE.  Sometimes it is just too thin.  Whilst I acknowledge that I normally work in 1/600 rather than 1/700, I usually take the kit supplied items and thin those down rather than try to thicken the PE

But great work. 

Thank you, I had considered your suggestion but the plastic davits provided with the kit are totally the wrong shape.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:58, Paul E said:

Thank you, I had considered your suggestion but the plastic davits provided with the kit are totally the wrong shape.

Fair comment!

• Like 1