IWO JIMA LVTA

krow113

Thinking of a way to paint the tracks , I came up with this idea. Cutting shapes from cardboard and filling the tracksets with them:

IMG_3333.jpg

Moving quickly towards painting of a number of models. The LVTA will be first as a little dust in the paint wont be that noticeable!

• Like 6

Thank you , Francis.

Having some fun mixing drywall mud , sawdust , black water paint and Celluclay  to make my base first covering:

IMG_3352.jpg

Slathered:

IMG_3353.jpg

Saran wrap and model placed:

IMG_3360.jpg

Tracks in place nd some smoothing for the tide lines:

IMG_3361.jpg

Later today for some actual kit modelling...

• Like 3

Got the ramp on:

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

Another fitting:

IMG_3369.jpg

I will have to go for it on the tiny bits , grabhandles ,cable hooks etc then straight to the body shop and primer/paint.

Tiny bits start with the easy cutting of the hook clamps for the ramp, posed in their open position:

IMG_3378.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ripaman.

I finally managed to clean up the sparay area blowing out the winters wood stove generated dust.

Black primer begins , the track holders worked perfect , the only thing I would do different is paint the inside of the track first:

IMG_3575.jpg

• Like 4

I had always assumed that the AFVC LVTs came with the indy link tracks, and the separate tracks were an attempt to woo people like me with unbuilt Italeri kits.  I ended up buying 4 sets of them, but am selling off 2 as I'll never get round to building the LVT2 and (A)2.  Hopefully I will get round to the (A)1 and (A)4.

They do look a little daunting to assemble, but IMHO better than trying to wrangle the Accurate Armour resin track strips into shape in hot water.  I like your silicone jig idea, and I might just have to copy it  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  I have an indy link assembly jig I made myself but it doesn't help at all with assembling multi-part links like these.  I've seen a laser-cut plywood version which I intend to get, but it is no better for aiding multi-part link assembly.

• Like 1

Thanks D.A.

And moving through paint , I first blacked in some of the inner areas and an allover mottle:

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

Then lightening:

IMG_3592.jpg

And finally some blues:

IMG_3597.jpg

I modulated a little , just mixing down the XF 18 with light blue , spraying a final all over mist.

Forgot a dozen grab handles, not an armour guy after all...:

IMG_3602.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 7

Thanks Francis.

Weathering will be simple.

This was one of the first engagements of this type, they would be faded a little and not so dirty I would think.

Having said that I dove into the weathering , applying the first greenish wash , pushing it into the corners etc.

BUT WAIT!

Prolly should have some markings prior to the weathering.

So the easiest of the decal options was selected and the decals put on while the wash was still setting. I may have some silvering to deal with but I did slice off the excesss decal material and used the full array of decal products. 

They look ok and I'll deal with any residual issues:

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Also working on the loadout. This set contains a handy resin piece for the gunner to stand on , pretty thoughtful of the manufacturer:

gunfig0001.jpg

Painted , washed , drybrushed & flat cleared:

IMG_3616.jpg

Edited by krow113
  • Like 5

Lovely paint job on it Steve, just watched WW11 in colour on Netfix and in the 13 part of the series there showed these going in to land, you got it spot on, also like the paint work on the stores :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Ripa!

Here the figs get a flat clear coat followed by an burnt sienna oil wash on the strapping , then a green mix oil wash on the uniforms:

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

Almost there , some skin tones and grey drybrushing still to go.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 3

Chris , Francis , Richard - Thank you.

Some accy 's get attention. I drybrushed the guns and a few other details:

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Waiting for oil wash' to dry. A few more paint and weathering treatments and then the fun of the final positioning and embedding in the base.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Getting back on this for the Fall Show , reacquainting myself with the components and getting some work done.

Weld beads added and needing paint , cleaned off the masking from the driver , and cemented in the beginning of the vehicles equipment:

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4167.jpg

And the ramp in place:

IMG_4168.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for looking in.

Lots of work getting done. I painted out the welds and blended them in , which led to an onslaught of black wash and chipping pencils.

A few go-overs later:

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

Interior got it too , first of a few treatments I think :

IMG_4174.jpg

Oooooo and she got shoes on:

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

The tracks fit ok a small battle , mostly my fault , leaving the water baffles at the rear off until the tracks go on would help , or leave the tracks un-connected , I did neither causing myself some grief.

Figs , armaments , a buncha stowage  , and the base all got attention today as well.

Going well and hoping to keep the momentum.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 4

Thanks Francis & Mark.

And I will say that the kit was in perfect shape , some minor warping buy easily dealt with. My belief is that there is a .010" gap in the kit, that is to say whichever way you decide to build it , the gap will show up somewhere. I managed to split it into smaller gaps and dealt with them in a number of ways. One way was to leave one for the end and clamp/glue it , another was covered nicely with a weld bead. Careful prep and numerous dry fits kept the issues down to an easily managed level. I recommend this kit for its fit and the fun you can have building it.

Working steadily and starting to get somewhere.

Figs get some final wash' and detailing:

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

The vehicle itself got a burnt umber wash, over the black wash , got ahead of myself there , and I started to tie things together:

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

The stowage got some more work as well.

These are oil wash' so a day or so to let things dry completely and then back to it as the best part is coming up fast!

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2