1/72 Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K1 Emily

Here's my third completion for 2018, Hasegawa's new tool H8K1 Emily:

DSCN6897.jpg

DSCN6899.jpg

DSCN6902.jpg

DSCN6904.jpg

DSCN6906.jpg

DSCN6908.jpg

I bought the H8K2 when it was released last year; when they released the H8K1 some months later I had to get this one as well - to be honest if I'd had the choice at the outset I would only have bought the H8K1 as I prefer 'clean' aircraft unemcumbered by the radar array that, for me, spoil the look of the later versions of the Emily. It's the same kit with a couple of different sprues including a new nose section and with the majority of the cannon armament of the H8K2 replaced by what appear to be VGO machine guns.

The kit transfers were used to represent an aircraft of the 802nd Flying Group based at Rabaul in 1942 - these aircraft were initially used alongside the older Kawanishi H6K Mavis flying boats and undertook some seriously long-range penetrations including attempts to launch bombing raids on Pearl Harbour and Northern Australia. As with the H8K2 kit I built earlier this year the undersides were finished in Alclad Semi-matt Aluminum with the doped fabric parts represented using Citadel Runefang Steel; the uppersurfaces using Colourcoats ACJ01 IJN D1 Deep Green Black, with the doped fabric surfaces painted using the same colour mixed with a little ACJ18 IJN Interior Olive Green. One thing I did differently this time was to spray the leading-edge ID markings in Colourcoats ACJ19 ID Yellow rather than use the kit transfers, as I had a little trouble getting them to conform last time. The floats were rigged using Infini Lycra thread which was also used for the r/t antenna wire.

Finally, here's a couple of pictures of her with her younger sister:

DSCN6910.jpg

DSCN6912.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 30