1/48 Tamiya Lanc landing gear

mikey builder

Hi, I bought a set of 'white metal' struts to replace the plastic, as I heard the latter collapsed after standing for some time.

its a #48043 kit. I'm really struggling getting the damn things to line up! Has anyone used these before?

Should I stay with the standard plastic parts?  I'm building a Mk1 'Piccadilly Princess, is it possible to buy painting masks/stencils for the main upper body & wings? I've blown up the images to correct scale but its a nightmare trying to join up the sheets of A4 paper! :think:

Thanks, Mike

FWIW, my Tamiya Lanc Dambuster has been sitting on the original plastic landing gear and still is, from when I built the kit, out of the box,  in 1987... still looks good to me.... no sags, no collapse...... even with 6 inches of dust on her ! LOL... seriously the stock plastic landing gear on MY kit is holding up very well....

I guess you mean Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal legs?

If so, my experience with them is...

1. They appear to be direct copies of the kit components, offering no improvement to any errors that may appear in the kit supplied items
  2. Tend to arrive bent despite being protected by the packaging
  3. In the case of my 1:48 Tamiya Mosquito FB.IV, the process of straightening, the white metal must has weakened as the retraction rams snapped. 

With them being manufactured in white metal, I also have concerns as to whether or not they are capable of supporting the weight of a large aircraft, especially if a lot of aftermarket, has been added.

I therefore avoid them at all cost unless there are brass replacements available (G Factor/Eduard) and tend to either use the kit parts and where possible, strengthen these or even scratchbuild my own from brass rod and tube!

• Like 2

Thanks...I'm going to use the standard parts: the metal parts are slightly different size, and very bendy, as you found!

I won't be buying any more soon, this kit for the Lanc cost over £20, waste of money :blahblahblah:

Has anyone got a link to the kits to make the bomb bay true? I want the Cookie red brackets, 11x 500lb bombs and slips. if possible, thanks

21 hours ago, mikey builder said:

Hi, I bought a set of 'white metal' struts to replace the plastic, as I heard the latter collapsed after standing for some time.

its a #48043 kit. I'm really struggling getting the damn things to line up! Has anyone used these before?

Should I stay with the standard plastic parts?  I'm building a Mk1 'Piccadilly Princess, is it possible to buy painting masks/stencils for the main upper body & wings? I've blown up the images to correct scale but its a nightmare trying to join up the sheets of A4 paper! :think:

Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike

Whose decals are you using?  I ask because I built the same subject using Albatros decals, and they have some mistakes with the decals and the reference artwork.

The kit landing gear is fine.

0ter6gAh.jpg

Cheers

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was planning to use the standard decals, but if there's better ones available I'll get them: some tiny details on the standard decals are incorrect, 

I am looking for stencils or suchlike to mask up the fuselage and wings etc. to make painting easier! Also still looking for the kits to mount the correct bomb layouts: Ideally I'd like to keep the Cookie cutter but anything that matches one of the original ones will be great :D

Edited by mikey builder

HI Mike

I am not aware of any pre-cut masks for the camouflage pattern, but really it is not that hard to paint.  I did mine freehand and it is easy because you don't have to worry about coming down the sides of the fuselage or doing the vertical fins.

As for decals, not sure what you mean by standard decals, so I cannot comment on that.  It seems you are not using Albatros, so I can't tell you much without seeing the decals and associated artwork.

I really encourage you to check out the Belcher Bits website, as Mike Belcher has released corrected resin cowls, main wheels and two sizes of cookies.  I used all his stuff on mine and they make a difference for the better.

Cheers

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall the kit decals ( If you have the PO-S version ) have their faults , these being the Red is far to bright ,and the upper wing roundels

are too small. A quick visit to Hannants web site will tell you all whats is available for the Tamiya Lancaster plus the other scales too.

Mikey

You dont need to mask for camouflage surely if you are hand painting . . . 

29831768763_ce9f95abdf_z.jpg

as for the wing roundels being to small . . .  paint them on yourself  . . .

21887785118_530cc05f17_z.jpg

22179757931_e81c5d75ff_z.jpg

You can save money and take pride in the fact its all your own work :idea:

Ian