1/48 CAC-27 Avon Sabre

Hello good people,

It's been a while since I posted something so why not honour the moment with something if not British so at least from the commonwealth. To me the finest Sabre manufactured, the CAC-27 Avon Sabre.

HBsOzajybyw8-AC02mXPFutthPBiooNEuAgBMoz-

I used Red Roo Models/High Planes conversion together with Hasegawas F86F-30, Eduard wheels, PE and bombs. I also attached a Quickboost bang seat. Alclad2, Ammo and Gunze paints was used togheter with a light Ammo weathering.

HGMVLO5RZsTalkFlcc6v_32fFIYvAkOnrw-6-6KF

The detailing of the conversion is excellent but the fit was not that great. I cannot say that it was an easy build but rather a long story of putty rescribing, primer and sanding. Still, I really enjoyed the challenge.

NlpSZtf4oXpS7Jbya-w-_lIJ80_Psef479uN5h6U

I wanted an early look with the black cockpit, so I choose the subject A94-971 from RAAF 3 Squadron presented as a bomber during the Malayan Emergency. I only read about the Avon Sabre being used as a bomber, never finding any pictures, so the bomb racks are improvised.

Io7JNs3IS720FleORCZKqT1WogpnVC0FYGhWtP2q

The conversion kit decals where excellent, but the decal instructions Was hard to interpret as pictures and text doesn’t match. I have only found one pictures of half the plane and I have never seen an Avon Sabre IRL (though I’d love to), so I hope I have not made too many mistakes.

5TUFnCPgWVzdBfZDStUdc0B1EFv5WRZxLh2X_8hK

Thank you for looking :-)

Cheers!
/Fred

Edited by CanDid
New pictures with corrected hard pionts added  
  • Like 45

On 2018-02-24 at 8:10 AM, Tony Edmundson said:

note: you have your speedbrakes on the wrong sides, RH & LH should be reversed as they are upside down at present.

:rolleyes: Tony, thnx for telling, sorted :innocent:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alan P said:

I can only see the last two photos, but I like what I see!

Alan

Hi, i don't know what went wrong, I could see all five all the time.

Nevertheless, I have now changed the links so I hope they work now.

/Fred

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, DennisTheBear said:

Nice! My understanding is that bombs were carried on the outer pylon stations. Not an expert so could easily be very wrong.:D

DennisTheBear

You might also be very right, I can’t argue since I don’t know. I only found text saying she could carry up to 1000lb bombs.

I opted for 2x500lb of British origin, don’t even know if that’s truly correct, but at least bombs used by the Canberra, i.e. where the Avon Sabre got the engine idea from.

I would be glad for a picture better than the one I used since is from a Korea Sabre http://acepilots.com/korea/georgia-peach-3.jpg

Hi Fred,

This is beautiful! The Avon Sabre is one of the best IMHO, and you have really done it justice, well done indeed.

I especially love the surface finish and very fine and subtle weathering.

I'm working on a 1/72 version at the moment somewhere here as a WIP. I don't think it will end up looking this good!

Cheers

Terry

On 3/19/2018 at 12:13 AM, DennisTheBear said:

Nice! My understanding is that bombs were carried on the outer pylon stations. Not an expert so could easily be very wrong.:D

DennisTheBear

I've never seen a CAC Sabre with bombs, and definitely not on the inboard Sidewinder pylons.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice job, great photography

Like Tony, I have never seen an Avon Sabre with bombs, and i'm of an age where I saw just about all of them, I lived as a child in Malaysia, and my father served in the RAAF as an Engine Fitter

Saying that, I would never say never.

some photos of your bird, including in that colour scheme are on ADF serials

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sabre-A94-971

If you want to see a real one, the nearest one to you could be at Kbely in the Czech Republic if it's still there, A94-923, still a long way away though.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sabre-A94-923

They did for a time use underwing rockets, but I think by the '60's they had given up on those

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sabre-A94-979/JP_2A94_979

I clearly remember as a younger child when we lived near Williamtown AFB in the late '50's when I think 16 of those fell off an aircraft about 2 kms from our house, didn't explode though as they had been wired up incorrectly, which is why they all fell off in one go.

More common on that would be the Sidewinder, uncommon to see a Sidewinder mounted on a Sabre in Australia, but much more common to see them in Malaysia, where your model was.

On 2018-04-05 at 11:43 PM, Graeme H said:

Like Tony, I have never seen an Avon Sabre with bombs, and i'm of an age where I saw just about all of them, I lived as a child in Malaysia, and my father served in the RAAF as an Engine Fitter

Saying that, I would never say never.

More common on that would be the Sidewinder, uncommon to see a Sidewinder mounted on a Sabre in Australia, but much more common to see them in Malaysia, where your model was.

I fully trust you all with your info. As I mentioned I have never seen an Avon Sabre live (though grown up to the sight and sound of Avon powered Swedish Draken interceptors) one day hope I will. Thank you for the tip :)

To make the model a bit more correct she is currently back on the cutting mat for some surgery (new pictures will follow). The bomb racks I first made have been removed and new ones scratched, right now being primed and prepared for paint. Some paint and weathering touch ups on the airframe will be added. I will also move the new racks outwards since at least thats where the U.S. planes carried their bombs.

The whole bomb idea comes from this text found on: http://www.3squadron.org.au ”Due to the absence of air threats in the conflict, 3SQN became primarily a ground attack squadron, targeting communist guerrilla infrastructure in support of the Malayan and Commonwealth troop presence on the ground.  3SQN carried out its first operation against communist guerrillas on 13 August 1959.  In a joint bombing raid with 77SQN, six Sabres from each squadron took off with 500lb high-explosive bombs underwing, and destroyed three terrorist training camps.”.

/Fred

Well there you go, as I said, never saw them, and I was in Malaysia at that time, although living on Penang Island, and Butterworth is across the water on the mainland and Dad and all the RAAF personnel  had to do a daily ferry ride across to the base.

However given the source that info would have to be correct, and they would definitely been US type racks, might send off an email to 3 Sqn to see if they have any photos 

Late Edit

While surfing the 3 Sqn site, I came across this photo, which may be a help for you

40369695885_02cb60dcf9_b.jpg3sqn_armourers_malaya60-bg by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

The bomb on the RH side of the photo even has the pylon

Edited by Graeme H
additional

That is just brilliant my friend. Thank you for sharing feed-back, knowledge and help. Without your doubts, perfectly based on your own experience, I would probably never seen this picture :) 

This is why I love the hobby and this forum, you will always get help and constructive feedback, no matter if it is the subject itself or the techniques used. This way, things that are not real (but better or worse interpretations), gets a place in history portraying what once was. 

If I may share a little story. I have mentioned growing up with J35D Drakens flying above, I alwas was impressed by their bombload as a young boy. The memories of the sun reflecting on the two bare metal bombs under the belly as the planes turned for landing just above the school yard. Well, they are not bombs but external fuel tanks...but that is something I learned very much later :D

• Like 1