Red Arrows, Now and Then - Airfix Gnat and Hawk 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Now that is looking better, much improved

(You won't forget to fill the joints will you? I know you are in a rush to get something else boiling)

Out of whack?

I remembered the scenes in the movie but couldn't remember the movie's name 

Then ten minutes ago whilst looking at the improved model the words 'Friends of Carlotta' sprang? Sprung? Arose, to mind

The great silver haired genius Steve Martin 

So I looked him up and voila, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Brilliant movie if you've an hour or so to spare for fun

Out of whack, mmm

Thanks Bill - filler on its way (see below) and 'Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid' added to my watchlist :)

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Those two are coming together nicely looking forward to seeing them in colour!

Roger

Thanks Roger - primer will be on soon. I'm still thinking (OOB) whether I should use white primer (OOB!) and mask the white stripes (for goodness sake OOB!), especially considering the warning Bill gave about the transfers. :hmmm:

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Just had a peek at that one - think I've looked at it before in relation to different shapes at the rear end....

....but anyway, a quick search revealed he's completely replaced both coamings - the phrase 'wrong shape and size' was used in relation to the Airfix representations!

Bash away! Methinks I'll just stick to the old-generation version, with suitable additions and mods - I have a certain number of them! The two new-generation ones I have were charity shop finds for a few quid each - as were the two Gnats. The old generation of those, is, of course, a different matter!

Thanks Andy :) There two are not really 'my theme' so they're not getting as much love as they may deserve...

You 'have a certain number'? Is it nine by any chance?

I thought I'd share some clean up tips but then I had the dressing changed on my neck so I need a lie down (poor little Bunny).

Things have been filled though and both are ready for sanding:

40589744072_5915641a6d_z.jpg

Not much required, to be honest.

I think I'll sand and polish then stick on the pointy bits before the primer. Later :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm still thinking (OOB) whether I should use white primer (OOB!) and mask the white stripes

I would. It's very OOB to me :whistle: :wink:  :D

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're looking great Ced, the Gnat is tiny.

Yes, masking the stripes will be much easier than using decals.

OK GUYS, I THINK HE BELIEVES US!

Ooops, I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud.

No, really it probably would be easier Ced, I'd just worry a little about painting the red over a white primer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

just worry a little about painting the red over a white primer.

Why? I always use white primer when painting red - am I doing something wrong?! :shrug:

(although if I paint a model Ferrari red, I always follow their prototype practice & use pink primer!)

Airframes are looking tidy Ced!

Keith

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Why? I always use white primer when painting red

Same here, as I do for yellow (unless I want shade/tone variations). 

36 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

:rofl: Probably better this way?

Ciao

• Like 3

Actually, I need to rephrase what I said above: I use a white coat before spraying red or yellow, but the white coat on top of a grey primer. But this is mostly because ... I don't have/use white primers :).

Painting with acrylics only makes the need for a white undercoat even more important, especially for vynil based ones.

HTH

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/03/2018 at 2:01 PM, Biggles87 said:

Yes, the Mk2 bone dome. Don't forget the lumps and the yellow ' G-stop ' bar. ( but not for the Hawk ) I use to know someone who wore one in his early RAF career who told me that they were uncomfortable and heavy. He reckoned that you could spot a fast jet pilot of the period by his well developed neck muscles.

S'true for any period really.  When I stopped flying FJ's I lost over an inch from my neck and went down two shirt sizes - and the last bone dome I wore was the lighter U.S.version :) Been scrawny necked ever since.  Don't pull a lot of 'G' as a lawyer........

On 04/03/2018 at 11:57 PM, CedB said:

Like you I'm not feeling the love much for this, can you tell? (Sorry Steve!)

Strange - I'm loving this build at at once removed........P'raps the Airfix Hawk's is just more fun when built by someone else?

23 hours ago, CedB said:

I thought I'd tracked it down here on page 12, just above the picture of the handsome young aviator (and further down the page, his even better looking passenger) but no, that's just where he improves the vents.

Nah - I did some measurements from a photo to try and fix the dimensions - all the way back at post # 35 on page 2 here.

Dunno who the yoof in the photo is - I don't remember ever having been that young..............

Airfix made a bit of a mess of the whole cockpit really.  Perfectly good for the ceiling tho' :)  The pilot looks a bit to big for the seat to my eyes.  His head shouldn't stick so far above the seat head box.

I s'pect the answer for the ceiling is that he's leaning forward and pushing himself up out of the seat (harness unlocked) to improve his look out :)

Onwards and upwards Ced - a Hawk on the ceiling is worth 2 on the bench.........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy :)

Thanks Giorgio, Stuart and Cookie (great link!) BUT I've been looking at the wrong reference shots! This kit is the 50th anniversary one and I don't think I can mask and paint this:

39939661844_6d227b2efd_z.jpg

and I also don't think I could use the fin transfer and match the white, so transfers it is - sorry :)

Thanks Cookie, Keith and Giorgio for tips on the primer. White would be OK then. I was thinking about grey to get some variation / panel detail but a ) these are the Arrows and variation would probably be polished out, lovingly and b ) the panel lines are deep enough I think to show up anyway!

Thanks Roger - OOB, OOB! :)

Thanks Johnny - the Gnat's a pretty nice, easy kit apart from the wing fit at the front and the blasted fin thing on the bottom that is almost certainly going to get bent :)

Thanks Steve! Pleased to hear that you're enjoying the build kit bash and thanks for the extra info... good enough for the ceiling, as you say! :)

Sanding, bit more filling, then fitting the back fins. Not only do they wobble in the slots, they just fall out. There they go again. The slots are too big so support required (Blu Tak) and the angle-of-the-dangle diagram cut out of the instructions and used as a template:

40607232392_10e5afc36e_z.jpg

I'll let that dry, check for other sticky out bits and then blast on some primer.

I'm out to lunch (it's been said before) with a mate today and have some work to do for Mrs B before I go so probably not until tomorrow now.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I was thinking about grey to get some variation / panel detail but a ) these are the Arrows and variation would probably be polished out, lovingly

Actually Ced, you might be surprised at how much weathering you could get away with - I know my mate & I were surprised how shabby the jets were getting when up close to them at Fairford last year;

DSCF5342 - Copy

DSCF5345 - Copy

DSCF5351 - Copy

The light conditions were pretty bad, but I think that helped the weathering show up better, as they'd probably look much better in bright sunshine! The jets are getting on now though & they're pretty hard worked, so I guess they have the right to start showing some 'patina'....!!

However, I think this is one of those times in modelling that if you finished the kit to look right, it would actually look wrong!

Keith

• Like 3

Yes, get a good shine on the gloss, there's always good reflection going on with these, and maybe something to pick out a little panel lines details.

I came across some discussion about the seat height. Apparently the"seat" bit is adjustable, and Revell at least have produced them in the up-max position, as they're often left.

If airfix have done the same, that might be why Red One sits  so high .

By-the - by, I remember a radio - control model some years ago that consisted of 4 airframes on a frame in a diamond 4.

Red-One had the engine, Two +Three had the ailerons function, and RedFour was elevator. 

Fast and furious would sum it up neatly.!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

This kit is the 50th anniversary one and I don't think I can mask and paint this:

39939661844_6d227b2efd_z.jpg

Ahh Ced, c'mon mate I'm sure you'll find something weird and wonderful on evibay...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1