Red Arrows, Now and Then - Airfix Gnat and Hawk 1/72

CedB

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Ced before I pop off to beddybyes they are all like that

Bent I mean, I have not looked down the tailpipe of the Gnat in my cupboard

Thanks Bill, kind of you to look :) I can now proceed with confidence!

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

IT looks like it's too late to change the Gnat,back seater now, but I seem to remember seeing the ground crews in white at Farborough in the late '60s.

John

Thanks John - one for the 'proper modellers' though :) I did have a little tug on the back seater but he's in there for good now.

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm glad that you got the neck sorted Ced and that things are on the mend.:thumbsup:

Thanks Tony :) Getting better every day, thank goodness. I'm hoping soon to be able to rotate my head more than a few degrees!

7 hours ago, andyf117 said:

An observation, if I may, hopefully before the Gnat's canopy gets attached - the chaps in the red romper suits appear to be lacking a certain something on their bone domes....

IMG_0274-1.jpgIMG_0265.jpg

The first set of chaps were actually blue-suiters - perhaps explaining why the groundcrew wore white?

1418828181_team-pilots-1965-first-team.j

Thanks Andy, great reference shots. I'm not sure I can paint numbers that small though :)

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Yes, the Mk2 bone dome. Don't forget the lumps and the yellow ' G-stop ' bar. ( but not for the Hawk ) I use to know someone who wore one in his early RAF career who told me that they were uncomfortable and heavy. He reckoned that you could spot a fast jet pilot of the period by his well developed neck muscles.

John

Thanks John. Repeat after me, OOB, OOB :D

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Me too!

Hi Dermot and welcome :)

Progress:

40553003622_d75067395c_z.jpg

That was easy. I had a Berna on the back to start with but then, typical new Airfix, something went 'click' and the small gap disappeared. Nice.

No cockpit shots (OOB remember) 'cos I'm not that pleased with it and think I may have the i/p transfers (shock, horror) too low down? They're shaped at the bottom the same as the plastic so they're 'down there'. Sorry guys but, as it's not really my theme, I'm moving on.

Oh, the canopy fits really nicely by the way. I think.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, andyf117 said:

or is he sat a really long way forward?

Perhaps he has very short legs....:whistle:

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I did have a little tug on the back seater

Once upon a time that would have warranted a fair few 'fnaars'...!! :winkgrin:

K

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, andyf117 said:

or is he sat a really long way forward?

Serious this time, I do think andy is right Ced, also he looks to be sat a bit high to me - have you tried to fit the canopy over him?

K

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great progress Ced. Looks like a nice easy build. :P

John

Thanks Jont - that's the idea, OOB, but you know this crowd... always wanting a model, cuh! :)

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Perhaps he has very short legs....:whistle:

Once upon a time that would have warranted a fair few 'fnaars'...!! :winkgrin:

K

He's been 'addressed', see below. I'm tending towards re-releasing my Finbarr Saunders alter ego... sometimes you have to stand up for the majority (snurf snurf) :wicked:

53 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Serious this time, I do think andy is right Ced, also he looks to be sat a bit high to me - have you tried to fit the canopy over him?

K

38 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

dunno about the seat, looks wrong but checked the build photos of the one I’ve did recently and doesn’t look any different. Guess we will see how the canopy goes on

Oooo, tough crowd. After some nice wine I decided to see if I could sort him out...

No Ced, leave it, it ain't worf it mate!

Out you come:

38791300820_3fc0c89012_z.jpg

Just glue on the bottom, but that was trimmed off, as was the inner thigh flash. I also checked the seat location although only an idiot could get that wrong (so worth me checking):

26729571538_8e478b22a1_z.jpg

They look OK. Back he goes, then a canopy dry fit:

39890239474_ba51a6fb3e_z.jpg

Fine then. he's obviously having to sit up to see the instruments...

Night all :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

the old front seat appeared to fit in the gap directly behind your new seat...

I believe in 'real life' the seat would have to be hard up against that front bulkhead, as the ejection rails are on it. So it looks like there's something amiss with the spatial arrangement in that there 'pit Ced....

• Like 2

Thanks Andy - useful details :)

Thanks Keith - hmmm, remember this bit:

26710395538_1275bb57c8_z.jpg

The seat has a slot that fit over the lump in the bulkhead so alignment is easy... even though it may be wrong! :)

Before more progress, does anyone else have one of these?

40566321022_2c69545fb1_z.jpg

Daylight saving? Pah! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've had it for ages and I think it was a free gift from Staples, or one of that crowd. It's been on my desk for ages. See the 'satellite dish' in the top right hand corner? That shows it's connected to its radio source, a highly accurate clock, allegedly. For ages it didn't connect so I just got used to setting it manually. Recently (ish) it's been connecting to something and re-setting the clock an hour fast. Dammit. I've turned off the 'wave' but it keeps turning itself back on and setting the clock wrong. Not even right twice a day.

More Hawk bashing.

The coaming doesn't fit:

25739219767_9a68045c2f_z.jpg

Fouling on the rear i/p. Luckily that came out pretty easily and had 'a bit' chopped off its bottom:

38800000970_ef03eee327_z.jpg

Kit bashing at its best. Now stuck back in and coaming fixed OK.

This confused me:

38799549310_055bf04b0d_z.jpg

... until I realised '35' is a transfer. Inside the intake. I made a note to apply those later, then went about assembling the bits and realised they won't be seen anyway. Hah! Wings together:

26738283158_e95458751e_z.jpg

Another page turned :)

• Like 5

It will

I think it will I'd best go and look at mine, I remember there being a bit of a faff to it

Call ya back laters

It is the white extension inside the intake for the nose stripe

Of course, up on the ceiling, who knows?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

To wit

P1010054.jpg

P1010051.jpg

The unpleasant truth

It shows

My least favourite model aircraft to date

And there have been many candidates for that accolade  :(

I did not and could not feel the love

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

The coaming doesn't fit:

Ah, of course -  so the front of that ill fitting coaming is actually forming the bulkhead behind the front seat - I get it now! :banghead:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

does anyone else have one of these?

I have a similar one (also shows the phases of the moon!) and it's always connected to a radio (atomic?) clock with no problem. However I do have a Samsung tablet that appears to have a faulty internal clock as it's the only 'puter I've ever used that needs to have its time reset every time it's turned on. Really annoying!

K

• Like 1

Yes I know it's OOB but surely that rear coming is too long. If the poor blighter in the front had to eject from there he'd be chopped off at the knees by the front coming.

Ooh nasty ( in my Sub Lt Phillips voice )

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldnt think so, surely the leg restraining straps would pull the feet into some semblace of tidy when an eject began

26738283158_e95458751e_z.jpg

The bulkhead and coaming distances tally nicely in this shot, don't they

• Like 3

Ced I hope my pictures add strength to the fact that the transfers in the kit are thin and orrid, a stiffening coat of a varnish might be a good idea

They fell apart in the water, yes it happened to me too, extra varnish would have been useful

:(

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill, kind of you to get your kit off out :D As it's an extension to the side stripe I think I'll apply it with the others so I can get them, gulp, lined up. Like you I'm not feeling the love much for this, can you tell? (Sorry Steve!) I'll watch out for the transfers and yes, I WILL be glossing first!

Thanks Keith - I think you're right about the coaming, but it gets worse (see below) :) Automated clocks? Meh...

Thanks John :) I'm not convinced by the 'pit positioning, especially now the rear bit doesn't fit (see below). I would pop over to Steve's thread and see what he did but that would just make me feel inadequate...

Thanks Johnny - wine and modelling are sometimes a good idea :)

Thanks Ian - I can't set a time zone on the clock, sadly :(

A bit more before bed. Looked as though it was going well:

38812545570_d120106586_z.jpg

... and then:

40622196541_8da137c275_z.jpg

Hmmm. drafty. My first thought was that the cockpit had been inserted wrongly, or that the rear bulkhead was out of position:

38812573260_9114b234e6_z.jpg

No then. I think the rear join needs attention so that the back of the part lines up with the panel line? there was some flash on the fuselage.

• Sad 2

He better not try to eject with that seat stuck under the fuselage panel

Definitely something out of whack with that

Out of whack

Two free brownie points if you can remind me which movie I remember that sentence in

:)

• Like 1

Thanks Bill :) Out of whack indeed... another weird phrase that the internet doesn't really help with, especially regarding the film. :hmmm:

I said I wouldn't look at Steve's thread during my kit bash but, when you're up against the wall bulkhead, consulting the Oracle is often the best way.

I thought I'd tracked it down here on page 12, just above the picture of the handsome young aviator (and further down the page, his even better looking passenger) but no, that's just where he improves the vents.

The modified part gets fitted on page 54 here and there's some of the usual perfect @Fritag modelling and reference material there. Beautiful work, just beautiful.

I am not worthy. :weep:

Managing my expectations and lowering my standards, I continued the kit bash ( sorry Steve :) )

A bit of sihrsc action to open up the hole in the fuselage back to the panel line:

39734137345_4f5f24801b_z.jpg

Steve warns that fiddling with this area may effect the canopy fit so that was plonked on for a quick reference:

26758388208_54f079d743_z.jpg

So, the offending part needs to come over the bulkhead to meet the canopy (even though Steve says it should be behind). Bash bash...

The shape of the part at the front matches the back of the canopy perfectly:

39734137155_82dd17b546_z.jpg

... so I can't do anything there. Is it possible I fitted the bulkhead back to front and the slope on that is the wrong way around?

26758387358_22e0872d13_z.jpg

Maybe. Hard to tell. If that was the case, I need to trim off the slope so it's parallel to the fuselage edge:

39734137035_b27b609140_z.jpg

... but then when I reached the top of the seat, decided to chisel something off the inside of the top part:

26758387518_424746cc27_z.jpg

Happy with the fit now:

26758387748_cef8eddcff_z.jpg

Onwards!

• Like 9

Thanks Andy - have a look at Steve's thread, linked to above but here again. He's a proper modeller and is using the kit as a 'basis'. The fitting of the coaming (and ALL the other problems) are being addressed there, I'm just bashing the kit. :)

Talking of which, more nice wheels up bits:

40630641381_a293ceeede_z.jpg

... which completes the attachment of non-sticky-out bits so both are now ready for filling and sanding:

39920361224_11ce5f59b7_z.jpg

Ready for filling and sanding by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Just need some mojo then.

• Like 6

Now that is looking better, much improved

(You won't forget to fill the joints will you? I know you are in a rush to get something else boiling)

Out of whack?

I remembered the scenes in the movie but couldn't remember the movie's name 

Then ten minutes ago whilst looking at the improved model the words 'Friends of Carlotta' sprang? Sprung? Arose, to mind

The great silver haired genius Steve Martin 

So I looked him up and voila, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Brilliant movie if you've an hour or so to spare for fun

Out of whack, mmm

• Like 2