Red Arrows, Now and Then - Airfix Gnat and Hawk 1/72

CedB

55 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Steady, guys. Next thing you know we'll be out skip-diving round the back of hospitals!😂

I already have done, scissors and forceps...

Handy things.

Simon.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I hope never to know what that thing below the tweezers was used for but I hope your neck is getting better.

Thanks Simon - getting better thanks but still stopping me from 'operating' properly. To ease your mind the scissors were used to cut my hair so that the dressing stuck :D

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Must have been used somewhere in the neck of the woods ... OK OK :coat:  :door: 

:rofl: 

Ciao

:rofl2:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

They are stitch cutters I think.

When I had my in growing toe nail removed they provided me with a sterile dressing packs.

Each one had a pair of plastic tweezers in them.

Handy addition to the tool box .

I/we hope that you are soon able to sit at the bench again.

Simon and Lady R.

Pretty close - according to the pack, they're 'Conjunctival scissors'... I like your idea better! They're going to be really useful for cutting rigging lines :)

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Steady, guys. Next thing you know we'll be out skip-diving round the back of hospitals!😂

5 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I already have done, scissors and forceps...

Handy things.

Simon.

Gah! I hope they've been sterilised :shutup:

I'm hoping the tweezers are going to be 'just the thing' for removing canopy masking. Watch out for the in future posts :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - getting better thanks but still stopping me from 'operating' properly. To ease your mind the scissors were used to cut my hair so that the dressing stuck :D

Neck beard trimmers... I need some of them.

• Haha 2

Thanks Simon :D Don't forget the mirror, or a helpful partner!

Some progress on the Gnat:

39674452485_eb21144879_z.jpg

Nonsense on the internals by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Bobbed with Liquidex ink on a cocktail stick - do NOT zoom in!

I've not glued the rear bulkhead and i/p together as I wanted to test fit and check the angles. Hmmm:

39674521525_55794fe1b5_z.jpg

Like most new Airfix, wiggling and twisting got the position right and TET was applied:

26697692818_ea132482fa_z.jpg

I'll let that dry, slide the rear seat in and close up soon(ish). Then fit the crew. Or maybe vice versa...

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

Good looking innards Ced

(Bet they all say that...)

😇

Agreed :clap: 

Oh, wait ... :D

Ciao

• Haha 3

Thanks Bill and Giorgio - too kind :D

Crew saying 'does my b*m look big in this?':

39859512594_12230364f6_z.jpg

It's not your bottom boys, it's your chunky thighs. All those pies. Trimmed off the inner leg flash and, maybe, a little bit higher and wiggled them in:

40570180351_0231539592_z.jpg

IMHO it's better to fit them before close up rather than (as the instructions say) at the end. YMMV.

Canopy checked and it clears the crew and is the right width so no reason not to proceed.

Wheel bay 'doors up' - yay!

40528139452_9f2ee331db_z.jpg

Nasty flash on 13A by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I thought it was flash on the outer edges when I took that photo but later realised it may be hinges? Whatever, it stops a good fit so the bottom of the fuselage either side of the gap was glued:

39860417164_c58d565aa2_z.jpg

... and the back. Why not, it was pretty close:

38760705810_1d7575d18b_z.jpg

While that was drying, looked at the wings. Nice mould design with the top bits slotting into the bottom just at the LE:

39860731534_4bf7034d46_z.jpg

Pity it's attached to the runner with THICK connectors. Carefully sawed off, nub sanded and then top bits glued in:

39860832724_0a7947f611_z.jpg

Using up the Liquid Poly on this job. 'Spot pegs' just to be sure but probably not needed - lovely fit.

Back to the wheel bay doors. Wiggle, wiggle:

40528948062_d50a3d4ff2_z.jpg

Easy to push back out from the inside but I found that the hinge needed taping down. Rest of the bottom glued:

40571661351_5c0e3b1ec0_z.jpg

Nice join but a bit of warpage, hence the tape.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I can foresee some sanding along those joints, but nothing dramatic after all. 

Pilots look very "relaxed" now that you've made them fit into the 'pit :):D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Small lawyerly type smart-aleccy point to ease myself unobtrusively back in so to speak......

If there are two red grow bags in this one gnat.......who's flying number 9?  :whistle:

I'll try and muster something more sensible and/or constructive when I've actually given Ced the courtesy of reading what I have no doubt is a suitably Cedpressive thread........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Small lawyerly type smart-aleccy point to ease myself unobtrusively back in so to speak......

If there are two red grow bags in this one gnat.......who's flying number 9?  :whistle:

I'll try and muster something more sensible and/or constructive when I've actually given Ced the courtesy of reading what I have no doubt is a suitably Cedpressive thread........

He's back! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

As I understand it Red 10 is known to wear the red growbags too, possibly hitching a ride.

Red 10 flies the spare don’t (s)he? and (s)he’s on the ground for the display ain’t (s)he?

Anyroad up I wouldn’t suggest it was impossible for 2 redbaggers to be in a Jet together - just not typical.  Not untypical to see a blue suited ground crew in’t back  tho’

’course I don’t remember wot they did in the far off gnat days anyways.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

From my extensive research files over the years it must be said that m'learned colleague has it, as we say, bang to rights

But I didnt want to throw a bucket of neg vibes all over Ced's nice little double act, see

Second seater is usually a Blue I recall

• Like 3

7 hours ago, giemme said:

I can foresee some sanding along those joints, but nothing dramatic after all. 

Pilots look very "relaxed" now that you've made them fit into the 'pit :):D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - just the glue to get rid of really. i'll probably use my 'Fritag scraper Ninja thingy' to avoid losing any of the nice detail :)

6 hours ago, perdu said:

relaxed

:)

all the time they are saying OUCHHHHH

Thanks Bill - well, if you want to be a Red Arrow, you have to make sacrifices and a little inner thigh fat is a small price to pay :D

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Subtle

I bet no one notices for at least...........ten........nine.....eigh      😊

5 hours ago, giemme said:

He's back! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: 

Ciao

Welcome back Steve! Hope you had a good trip and are all in one piece :D

Thanks for the trouble making on your first post back information... as you'll read though this is an OOB relaxing build after my Boultbee Spitfire and Wacky Wabbit. And an 'Easy Assembly' Airacobra. Ha! Did you see those? 3D printer, vinyl cutter, Colourcoats, Ultra Mask... lots of catching up to do!

Who else posted. Blah blah Red 10... blah blah blue suits... :shrug:

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Or in the early Gnat days perhaps white.

Thanks John - they used to wear white? then what happened? :wicked:

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Could be a new team member under instruction during the preseason work up

Roger

Could be Roger... or just Airfix getting it wrong :)

Anyway, with our learned friend back in the room (I can't wait to see what he says when I start kit-bashing the Hawk :giggle: ) we can progress.

The warpage / bad workmanship has left a small gap at the rear requiring some unusual Berna action:

26702172538_361c90c187_z.jpg

All this bashing and the fin thing is still on the 'wheels up' bottom:

40531657132_1a981f019e_z.jpg

Miracle. Although, to be honest, it has been bent, straightened and TET'd twice now. Finally, the front was glued and other parts readied:

26702718248_d9d22c8913_z.jpg

Going well eh? OOB! I just can't... er... believe... WHAT the heck is THIS supposed to be!

39863798604_c141e12d6b_z.jpg

Needs work! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll not be buying any AM for this but I might see if I can find some slide tube. 'orrible.

Then, before you can say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious* there's a Gnat ready for a bit of filling, sanding and canopy framing:

40536017232_0c7474e200_z.jpg

I think I'll put it aside and get the Hawk to the same state (look away Steve!)

* One of my favourite Siri 'Easter eggs':

40578612751_613a220490.jpg

Siri's sense of humour by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 13

I was going to comment on the passenger, but since I've been beaten to it by a long-lost gent* in a black robe I fear I'd better just stay shtum!

Looking good Ced!

Welcome back Steve!

Ian

*I always give the benefit of the doubt. If wrong, it usually doesn't take long for that to be shown!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 4

Thanks Ian :)

Just as I put the Gnat aside I noticed a nasty piece of flash. IN the tailpipe. Airfix have tried really hard to hide it:

26710334608_23e44444c2_z.jpg

What’s this? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Little do they know, we have surgical instruments!

40581867471_f20c5bfcd6_z.jpg

Done!

Next the Hawk bits were gathered ready for assembly tomorrow:

26710395538_1275bb57c8_z.jpg

Bent? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Uh oh. Other bits look OK, although not up to Fritag standards (or anyone else's for that matter):

40581957081_59f6885698_z.jpg

Repeat after me... OOB, OOB...

• Like 10

Yes, the Mk2 bone dome. Don't forget the lumps and the yellow ' G-stop ' bar. ( but not for the Hawk ) I use to know someone who wore one in his early RAF career who told me that they were uncomfortable and heavy. He reckoned that you could spot a fast jet pilot of the period by his well developed neck muscles.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2