Aussie P-51K AIRFIX 1/48

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I think the K's were used by RAAF squadrons overseas, as I haven't found a photo yet of a K model in Australia.

Just to add a correction, yes the RAAF did receive P-51K's, and they operated in Australia, 84 and 86 Squadrons being formed up here in Australia

If you go to the ADF Serials site http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a68.htm

then scroll down to A68  Mustang the second line is North American P-51K  A68-500-583, if you look carefully most of the photos are taken in Australia, numerous other mentions of them in Australia on that site

I would draw your attention to the crashed A68-545, at Bohle Airstrip, that terrain can only be in Australia, and the former Bohle airstrip is as I said above less than 10 kms from me, the Squadrons formed at Bohle Airstrip, I don't think any went overseas until Post war, I have lent my copy of Southern Cross Mustangs out at the moment, which would have more info.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Just to add a correction, yes the RAAF did receive P-51K's, and they operated in Australia, 84 and 86 Squadrons being formed up here in Australia

If you go to the ADF Serials site http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a68.htm

then scroll down to A68  Mustang the second line is North American P-51K  A68-500-583, if you look carefully most of the photos are taken in Australia, numerous other mentions of them in Australia on that site

I would draw your attention to the crashed A68-545, at Bohle Airstrip, that terrain can only be in Australia, and the former Bohle airstrip is as I said above less than 10 kms from me, the Squadrons formed at Bohle Airstrip, I don't think any went overseas until Post war, I have lent my copy of Southern Cross Mustangs out at the moment, which would have more info.

I stand corrected! That's the beauty of this site- there's always someone out there who has more/better references, and in my case, a better memory! Thanks for the clarification, Graeme! (I probably blocked that tidbit out, as I think the Aeroproducts prop looks OK on a P-39 or P-63, but not on a Mustang!)

Mike

• Like 1

This is a fantastic finish, I always take note of how people do this as I have yet to try a NMF aircraft. You're right Pierre, this is the great thing about this forum, I wouldn't be any the wiser about the different props and canopies, but you learn a lot here! (also makes you research a little bit, just a little bit in my case!)

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

Wow.

Thank you for doing such a brilliant Aussie P-51

I like them in any livery but your version is certainly close to the heart and very much appreciated

Top Stuff!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful model!

Aussie Mustangs are not done very often; in a way they're a forgotten chapter in the P-51 History, much like the Brewster F3A was in the Corsair life cycle.

-d-

• Like 1

• 1 year later...