Aussie P-51K AIRFIX 1/48

2 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

G'day mate, 

thats a  bloody nice Mustang,  great NMF, congrats for your model!

I see it has the uncuffed props so technically it is not a D model but a K

have a good one

cheers

Just to be pedantic - the D & K could both use both cuffed & uncuffed propellors (and did)  although all K's were I think delivered with the uncuffed Aerproducts props:  Equally so with the  "Dallas" style canopy often taken as being "K" only.  You see them on D's and K's, and often see different canopies on the same airframe too.

The only real difference between D and K models was where they were made. D- Inglewwod, K's in Dallas.  Same for B's & C's: B's Ingelwood, C's Dallas.

Excellent model though - really nicely done!

Jonners

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pierre Giustiniani said:

Thanks Guys

With natural light.

38627282960_21f169958f_b.jpg

Lovely model , what paint did you use for the aluminium finish ?

Technically it is a P-51K-10-NT and that should be an Aeroproducts Prop, but it is a really well done model so who cares on minor technicalities, congratulations

I live about 10 Kms from the former Bohle Airstrip, which was used as a Car Drag Strip up until less than 10 years ago, but today is disappearing under the Urban sprawl

and from the ADF Serials site

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a68b.htm

A68-565 P-51K-10-NT 111-30645 44-12512 Received 6 AD ex USA on 07/05/45.
Issued 84 Sqn 04/07/45, Code: LB-V.
Force landed on takeoff Bohle River QLD 02/08/45.
To 6 AD 27/08/45.
Converted to components 10/09/45.

Highlight for Album: Mustang A68-565

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Thank you for your sweets comments :)

For the paint i used Mr colour super metallic 01 as primer/base (don't use AlcladII directly on Airfix kit's surface, it's too agressive and the finish is matt on some places), followed by an application of Alclad Airframe Aluminium.

For some panels a mix of Alclad Aluminium and dark Aluminium.

Weathering is donne with sepia ink and oil and some touches of rub'n buff.

I've ordered the good propeller (ultracast) and i will change the Hamilton uncuffed.

PS: the tail wheel has disappear on the first picture, i found it and glued it again

Cheers

Pierre

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Just to be pedantic - the D & K could both use both cuffed & uncuffed propellors (and did)  although all K's were I think delivered with the uncuffed Aerproducts props:  Equally so with the  "Dallas" style canopy often taken as being "K" only.  You see them on D's and K's, and often see different canopies on the same airframe too.

The only real difference between D and K models was where they were made. D- Inglewood, K's in Dallas.  Same for B's & C's: B's Ingelwood, C's Dallas.

Excellent model though - really nicely done!

Jonners

Jonners is correct- P-51D's used the cuffed and uncuffed Hamilton Standard prop, with the very late production D's, I think D-30's and beyond, using the square-tipped, cuffless prop; K's used the Aeroproducts prop, but its blades had a curved profile and curved tips.  Almost all of the K's were lend-lease. Due to the vibration issues associated with the Aeroproducts prop, which was only used due to a shortage of the HS props, it was replaced with one of the other two HS props. Australian CAC-built P-51D's had a mixture of HS cuffed and cuffless props. Data from the P-51 SIG and Stuart Wilson's RAAF Mustang monographs.

Mike

I found a photo taken at the CAC factory showing assembly of P-51D's- note that one has the HS cuffless square-tipped prop and the other has a cuffed prop. The first batch of Mustangs, 100, IIRC, were delivered to CAC unassembled, along with 80 Packard Merlin engines. The RAAF also received a couple hundred P-51D's and K's via lend-lease, in addition to the CAC-built Mustangs. I think the K's were used by RAAF squadrons overseas, as I haven't found a photo yet of a K model in Australia.

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information, corrected spelling
  • Like 1