The Russian Whitley model.

Neil.C

21 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Humbrol; Extra Dark Sea Grey is number 123

Dark Slate Grey is number 224

Available in both enamel and acrylic

Be aware though that Dark Slate Grey is actually a dark grayish green

Just checked out the colours prior to purchase and although 224 Dark Slate Grey is Matt, 123 Extra Dark Sea Grey is satin. :huh:

Any alternative for a matt Extra Dark Sea Grey?

Edit: Being stupid, just checked out the acrylics.

Edited by Neil.C
Being stupid!

Neil,

clear gloss coat before you decal, as well as giving you a nice shiney surface for decals,

it'll pull all the paints together. Satin coat after decals, OR matt if you prefer.

Paul

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Neil,

clear gloss coat before you decal, as well as giving you a nice shiney surface for decals,

it'll pull all the paints together. Satin coat after decals, OR matt if you prefer.

Paul

Thanks Paul. :yes:

10 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Decals for Neil . . . .

26633149448_42d4e9ea1d_z.jpg

I will post them out tomorrow

Ian

Thanks very much Ian, you're a Gentleman and scholar. 

Once I get the Whitley painted up and decals on it will be appearing at a "Ready for inspection" site near you.

Sorry to keep on but what colour would the framing be on the glazed parts?  

Should I just follow the colour predominating, i.e  white at the bottom three quarters and slate/sea grey on the top section?

18 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Usually they follow the camouflage pattern . . . . .

Ah right.

I thought they probably would but didn't want to muck it up with my guesswork.

Thanks MA

Got some camo paint on at last, then disaster!

On trying to clean off excess paint on the frame of the rectangular widow I pushed in the window into the fuselage.:o

Tried to take out the front turret so I could reglue the Window from inside, alas the turret was stuck fast with cement and a fair bit of filler. After a lot of thought I realised the best way forward was to reshape the window and just make it an interference fit.

After a lot of shaving and cursing I managed to get a reasonable fit. Before fitting I thought I'd have a bit of a clear up and guess what? The tiny plastic transparency ended up in the bin!

Going back to my dining room table workshop I couldn't find the part anywhere and realised what must have happened. To be honest I was set on giving up but my tenacious wife had the bin out and found it!

Needless to say I glued in the window and put the Whitley safely away.

I'll have another go tomorrow.;)

OK, I clear glossed the model and left it for 24 hours and today, the moment of truth!

I'm afraid the Russian decals didn't stand up to my efforts and had to be discarded, sorry Ian. :mellow:

Fortunately through the kindness of members I had a colour layout of the camo, decals etc, a pic of the original aircraft and another set of decals.

I realised when I went to add the decals that I had made the camo line too deep so the roundel goes over the line a little unlike the original. Also when setting out where to add the transfers I didn't take into account the fact that the Frog model had four aerials and mine only had three!

I think I got away with it even though the photo of the original looks a little different to mine so I am averring that my version is an homage to a MKVII rather than an exact copy! 

I've still got to scrape away the excess paint on the cockpit, (fortunately that won't fall in when I touch it!) and matt over the top of the plane as apparently it should be satin underneath and it's done.

Thanks again for all the unselfish help I have received over the time of this construction from the fine members here. 

I've certainly learnt a fair bit about Whitley's now.

DSCN3032.jpgDSCN3031.jpgDSCN3030.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Here's the original.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Good job!

My once, build decades before is this:

AW Whitley Mk VII

Used the same decals.

modelldoc

That's really nice.

You've got four aerials!