1/48 Yakovlev Yak-28P

Bjorn

Finished this a while ago, but can't remenber posting any pictures.

26416530879_e22f4a998a_c.jpg

This must be the coolest looking aircraft in the world! Flash Gordon would have loved it! :)

38193469391_37755c36e5_c.jpg

The red missiles were test missiles, I am not sure if this very individual carried any red ones, but could not resist painting them red, making the whole model even cooler.

26416652259_c54cf48f67_c.jpg

Built mostly OOB. It is a rather strange model, mostly brilliant, partly pretty poor. Engines were pretty difficult to get a good fit, especially the rear part where they meet the wing. Some sink marks had to be filled. The worst thing IMO is the soft plastic, similar to that used in recent Trumpeter/Hobbyboss releases. Decals were thin and great - however I think that the real ones did not have red stars with white/red outline (just red).

37482794694_0d121f4459_c.jpg

I added seatbelts (made from foil from a whisky bottle) and a few details in the cockpit, the rest is OOB.

38161126392_57deb1d353_c.jpg

And of course I would love to build the Brewer in the future. I just have to forget some of the shortcomings of this kit first... :)

38193544861_b58eb5f401_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 53

This must be the coolest looking aircraft of the world! Flash Gordon would have loved it! :) ....

and  Batman  too  !!!

Very beautiful aircraft , I do not even realize how Russians could made such aircraft...  

One question : was the finnish natural metal or dope like F-105s ?

Tonka

• Like 1

On 2018-02-24 at 04:13, Tonka said:

This must be the coolest looking aircraft of the world! Flash Gordon would have loved it! :) ....

and  Batman  too  !!!

Very beautiful aircraft , I do not even realize how Russians could made such aircraft...  

One question : was the finnish natural metal or dope like F-105s ?

Tonka

Thanks - and thank you all!

As far as I can see from pictures, the finish on these were natural metal - at least originally. Many Soviet aircraft were painted with a thin silver dope, but I don't know if this happened a certain year, or if they were painted after a couple of years in service. But my reference photos clearly showed a NMF aircraft.

Great looking model of a great looking aircraft - So futuristic, as others have said.

I'm fortunate enough to live and work in Estonia right now and there is a similar example of this beast (A Yak-28 PP I think) in the 'local' Aviation Museum at Tartu (2+ hours from Tallinn). I got 'up close and personal' last summer to take reference photos for my own build of this impressive and unusual aircraft.

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1