Blenheim 1F Nightfighter - 600 Sqn

This is at last a model of something from the Blenheim nightfighter thread from some years ago.

It is the 1998 Cooperativa boxing of the 1969 Frog kit. The plastic is the same but an etched fret is added and the decals are different. I used some of the etch - cockpit interior and wheel hubs - but not the decals.

40389914232_63cae0d8e6_b.jpg

Why use this ancient model kit? Well it was a Christmas gift from one of my colleagues and perhaps a challenge to make something decent from it. Having done this and an early Airfix Mk.IV bomber my next Blenheim builds will be the newer Airfix kits.

As has been said, these were the RAF’s state of the art nightfighters and their pugnacious appearance with radar, flame damping exhausts, sinister overall black finish and five forward firing guns belied their general ineffectiveness. Sure there were some kills but their main usefulness was to expose crews to a new form of night fighting they would put to good use in Beaufighters and Mosquitos.

38622930050_cc3e7b5984_b.jpg

It is pretty much OOB although an engine was missing from the sealed box so I substituted some resin engine/cowling sets. Additions were landing lights, flame damper exhausts from an early Airfix Mk IV and the ventral gun pack from a newer Airfix kit – both the Frog and older Airfix are the larger Mk.IV pack. The blast shield was scratch built. The four sets of radar antennas (nose, engine nacelle and above and below port wing) were also scratch built. The Cooperativa kit includes etched ones but they are too flat to look convincing.

This is the aircraft almost invisible in the picture in Post #85 of the thread above. It is BQ-W and good detective work by Selwyn has identified it as L1647 in Post #96. Thanks!

The decals were a combination of a couple of Owl sheets (reviewed here)

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/decals/owlds72076reviewer_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/decals/owlds72079reviewer_1.htm

and MSG serial numbers by Ventura decals. BQ codes on rear fuselage both sides are a common theme in 600 aircraft.

Paint was Mr Surfacer 1500 Black followed by a coat of Future applied with a large brush followed by several sprays of Dullcote.

The official night fighter finish for winter 1940 was RDM2 but I suspect that they might have been a bit polished to improve their performance and appearance (600 Sqn remember). Radar antennas were a mix of gunmetal with a touch of blue.

38622930960_cc0ae1782a_b.jpg

40389916982_0cb323213e_b.jpg

38622932680_29356f535f_b.jpg

38622929340_e5830ebdc7_b.jpg

40389914842_680547c574_b.jpg

This aircraft was one a of a multitude lost in non-operational flying training with all of its crew. These many, many un-heroic deaths were a great tragedy but an unavoidable consequence of the war effort. It’s hard to say they did not die in vain but they should be remembered.

• Like 37

Hi Ed,

That's quite a nice and unique model of a Blenheim. Does look quite sinister. From you post, it sounds

like it was not as effective, but as a stop gap, helped give RAF night fighter crews valuable experience, for

later on.

I quite like it:D:yes:

Thanks for sharing your build with us and help us remember these great men

Regards

Alan

59 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

It is pretty much OOB although an engine was missing from the sealed box so I substituted some resin engine/cowling sets.

Apparently somone was trying to do Master II ;)

Ed, that must be kind of heroic work on Frog (not complete) Blenheim Mk I . Nice to see it, thanks for sharing. Any chance of proper gunpack view?

Regards

J-W

Gunpack views as requested

A. On the model above

38660156030_beee5d215b_z.jpg

B. Comparison of what is available

1. Early Airfix Blenheim IVF

2. Frog Blenheim IF

3. New Airfix Blenheim IVF

4. New Blenheim IF

40470640641_f24d746116_b.jpg

With a bit of plastic card, a plan and basic modelling skills one can make any sort from scratch but most of the Airfix Blenheims seem to have two anyway.

• Like 1

Very nice, Ed.

If I may point out one small issue. You have painted the prop hubs a metallic colour. These should be the same colour as the prop blades. No RAF aircraft at this time would have had unpainted prop hubs. Even imported/Lend-lease aircraft had painted hubs. The only Blenheims I can find, after a few years of searching, that had unpainted hubs were Mk.V's or Bisleys.

Chris

Thanks guys

(M)ichael - The newer Airfix kits capture the look of the gunpack pretty well I think. The photo of the restored Blenheim you refer to has a shadow on the side, it is flat. The small bulges on the bomb bay doors are in the newer Airfix kits and replicate the bulge in the picture quite well. They are not in older Airfix or Frog kits.

Chris - You are correct about the spinners. The evidence is in the picture of BQ-G in the thread referred to. They have been repainted!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Very nice indeed , good to see these old kits still being built . If i recall this was the better option at the time for a Blenheim , the Airfix kit suffered from

engine cowlings being to long over the wing , and the tail being the wrong shape plus thousands of raised rivets. The trick was to cross kit the Frog with the Airfix kit to produce a decent MKIV.