Model shops in Hong Kong and Taipei?

DaveJL

You're in the right place , it's quite easy to navigate around . Continental Models is the easiest to find as you just walk along Nathan Rd until you reach the Wing On shopping Centre. It's quite well sign posted .

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, I managed to find all 3 shops although the one on Waterloo Rd was a slight struggle as I went the wrong direction along the road at first. I did however find it difficult to actually look at the kits in the shops as there was not much space between the rows of kits. I also found out that the owner of Continental Models runs the Sincere Hobby web site, saying that he had ordered 1000 of the AMK Tomcat kit. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 24 February 2018 at 7:09 AM, Antoine said:

In Taipei, back in 2014, there were three main Hobby Shops. In fact I found three when I arrived in 2010, and my Taiwanese friends told me the same (but there must be a few more selling gundam and the likes).

I believe they're all still around, hopefully at the same address.

Those three are:

Ji shin (or Jixing)

AFV

MPK

All three are not really near 101, especially MPK, so you'll have to use MRT, bus or taxi.

To Jishin, MRT is the best, as there's a station nearby, Longshan temple (Dragon mountain temple) IIRC.

For the other two, you can setup your trip by bus using googlemap, this works well.

There's a usefull pass that makes the bus and MRT easy, you can get it at any MRT station. Got to remember the name.

You can even use it as a credit card with 7/eleven and the likes.

But taxi is also very cheap, you can indicate the nearest big crossroad to the driver, or the full address.

FYI, I believe that about one taxi driver out of one hundred speak english. Also, do not forget to keep your hotel card with you for the return trip.

taipei11.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

- Ji shin

The smallest, but maybe the warmest shop of the three. Laoban is an ex ROCAF mechanic who used to work on F-86 at Hsinchu (I believe). Doesn't speak english, but most friendly (Taiwanese are, really). His son does. Here you can meet the cream of Taiwan modellers community. Here also, you can order every Hasegawa kit, as long as it's  not OOP... for about half the European price. And you'll get it in... three days!

taipei13.jpg

- MPK

Biggest of the three

taipei12.jpg

- And AFV

taipei10.jpg

I have just been to AFV and Jixin (note the spelling recognised by Googlemap) today and both are very good with lots of stock. Jixin has more decals from Taiwanese manufacturers such as DXM and WandD but i preferred AFV as a shop. They both sell all types of model genres.

Both are exactly where it says on the maps but AFV is in a basement. Look for the web address above the shop awning. That's the only way i spotted it.

Lastly, MPK has closed down according to googlemaps and when my hotel called, there was no answer either. 

thanks for the info

Andy

Thanks for the tips

andy

Edited by Red Dot

• 1 year later...

I recently found an excellent model shop in Taichung, Taiwan. It is called Magic House and can be found on GoogleMaps. Lots if local decals and resin plus many kits at low prices

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Any hobby scale model kits shop to recommend in Hong Kong?
I only know of Continental Model, Challenge Model, Wang Kee model shop, Hobby Hobby, UML Hobby and RX88.
Any more that I missed out on?

Thanks!