British Caladonian +

Britman

Its the 1970,s and Gatwick has its regular fog in, where to go? No prizes just hope the pictures are useful.

SCAN0098SCAN0097

SCAN0096

SCAN0095

SCAN0094

SCAN0093

SCAN0092

SCAN0091

SCAN0090

SCAN0089

SCAN0088

SCAN0087

SCAN0089

SCAN0086

SCAN0085

SCAN0084

SCAN0083

SCAN0082

SCAN0082

SCAN0081

SCAN0002

Hope you like something.

PS, do not try posting whilst talking to the wife! Some repetition, sorry.

Edited by Britman
Repetiton.
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Where’s the VC10?

Exactly, they had 4 floating around LGW back then...

Great pictures though...........Thanks !

Don't you just love the BCal schemes?!!! The 707 looks particularly good.  Great pics Martin.

That line up of 1-11s... are they at Hurn by any chance?   Eighth image down, can just make out a VC 10?

I must get back and scan some more of mine or sort out the slides already scanned.

• Like 2

That isn't a VC10 in the 8th. Another 1-11. Only one engine and a VC10 is nose down taxiing on its Boots.

Edited by bzn20

23 hours ago, Britman said:

Sorry no VC10 and all shots taken at Manston.  Aircraft over the back on 8 is another 1-11.

Agreed. I had a second look  and can see now.

Sometimes it was absolute mayhem with just a handful of us trying to park something somewhere!  Most of the time it was first in last out. Imagine, its dark and with limited facilities and ops calls up,two more on the way! I loved it. 

• Like 1

I remember a couple of Gatwick diversion days at Heathrow in the 60s, loved them. Loads of 'planes and airlines  we'd never seen before. Had to get to grips with the weird positioning of some of the BUA registrations.

1 hour ago, Swamp Donkey said:

sight at LHR

We might have crossed notebooks.. You ever get down Cains lane/A30 junction or on the grass/Crash Gate opposite near the Pan-Am hangar?

I used to sit on the grass (inside the fence) at the holding point of what would have been 28L. Pan Am and TWA B707F, TMA DC6 etc taxied past - seem like the wings would be over our heads - happy happy days 😁

SD

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

happy happy days

Now you're talking.. One day I decided to get on as many planes as possible so I started with the BOAC Apprentice trainer ,Argonaut G-ALHJ and went in to the Pan-Am hangar, 707 which was quite normal at the time,Crew Chief was ace! I spotted 2 TMA kites,DC-4 and DC-6 being washed down outside Seaboard's hangar so ,I've cycled on the airfield by now ,asked the guys there if I can look 'round. No problem, the usual don't touch anything. Bit scary, they were washing both down with either Avgas or Petrol. Great day out in the Summer Sun ! Lived Airport side of Shepperton BTW about 4 miles, 15/20 minutes tops depending on wind and some heavy tredding !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

I went to school in Langley, and every Friday as we tipped out of school the Aeroflot Tu104 to Leningrad would whistle over. I used OH-KDA as my alarm clock, and the National B747 (to Miami, or was that the Delta?) was a sight and sound to behold!!! Swissair Coronado’s disappearing in their own smoke, the fabled TAP jumbos........I could go on for hours!!

• Like 2

But back to the thread...

didnt do a lot of flying on BCal, did a 111 back from FRA, B747 (G-HUGE? Would need to look it up) to DXB (when DXB was fun),and back from ATL on G-DCIO, but that was BA by then

SD

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, Swamp Donkey said:

G-HUGE

Yes that was a BCAL 747, November 1985 worked on the delivery C or D Check