This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mick4350

What music are you playing ? Part IV

58 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

White Eagle. Tangerine Dream. '82.

Finished the evening with Cyclone.

Not exactly music (although there is some).

6c466223-76ca-4eea-957a-13ee65766174.JPG

I'm working though my dad's collection of Goon Shows – 20 CD's with a total of 40 hours play time. Some of it is a bit dated (who would have guessed?) but I'm surprised how often I'm laughing out aloud.

Wonderful stuff – that Milligan bloke was a genius.

1 minute ago, Gorby said:

6c466223-76ca-4eea-957a-13ee65766174.JPG

I'm working though my dad's collection of Goon Shows – 20 CD's with a total of 40 hours play time. Some of it is a bit dated (who would have guessed?) but I'm surprised how often I'm laughing out aloud.

Wonderful stuff – that Milligan bloke was a genius.

Nice !

2 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Nice !

That it most certainly is.

This morning I was feeling a bit :raincloud:

But after just an hour of audio sillyness I'm feeling pretty :P

On 3/7/2018 at 19:46, Max Headroom said:

Music stopped at the end of the 90’s. Discuss!

On 3/8/2018 at 10:22, Vince1159 said:

Have to disagree with you MH,i think real music stopped at the end of the 70s....

No, that's when you two stopped listening to music and closed your minds! :tease:

On 3/8/2018 at 12:12, Gorby said:

You bunch of old farts.

Music is alive and well - it's just hiding.

Spot on Gorby!:yes:

Well the first part of the quote anyway!

There's plenty of good music out there and you don't have to look too far to find it...   ...I'm with Lightningboy2000, 6Music in the BBC is a great place to hear new stuff, along with some good old stuff too!

Right now I'm listening to my Spotify on random play, music ranging from the 50's to now, currently though it's Thomas Dolby's "I scare myself" from the 80's

Edited by Wez

1 minute ago, Wez said:

No, that's when you two stopped listening to music and closed your minds!

I do like R.E.M. and Coldplay tho!

Trevor Smashy

27 minutes ago, Wez said:

No, that's when you two stopped listening to music and closed your minds! :tease:

Maybe Wez but then we didn't have to listen to music (debatable) churned out by X Factor/Pop Idle and the rest,give me TOTP and Old Grey Whistle Test any day....

Edited by Vince1159

43 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Maybe Wez but then we didn't have to listen to music (debatable) churned out by X Factor/Pop Idle and the rest,give me TOTP and Old Grey Whistle Test any day....

And you don't have to now, I certainly don't. :fraidnot:

As for TOTP, there was some highly debatable stuff back in the day, the equivalent of X-Factor etc has always been there, just went by a different name.

Currently listening to Yo! My Saint by Karen O and Michael Kiwanuka although I see next up is John Cale's sublime Fear is a man's best friend, both of these are an aural treat, one very current and another from the 70's.

I’m having a bit of a Floyd phase at the moment.

Trevor

19 minutes ago, Wez said:

And you don't have to now, I certainly don't. :fraidnot:

As for TOTP, there was some highly debatable stuff back in the day, the equivalent of X-Factor etc has always been there, just went by a different name.

Currently listening to Yo! My Saint by Karen O and Michael Kiwanuka although I see next up is John Cale's sublime Fear is a man's best friend, both of these are an aural treat, one very current and another from the 70's.

To me there's not much difference these days between anything...

I agree with you about TOTP but would L'anachie Pour l'UK even get airtime these days in case it upset someone,not just the Sex Pistols but there were groups back in the 70s that today people would walk away from (which is a shame)...

I'll have a listen and let you know...

9 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

To me there's not much difference these days between anything...

I agree with you about TOTP but would L'anachie Pour l'UK even get airtime these days in case it upset someone,not just the Sex Pistols but there were groups back in the 70s that today people would walk away from (which is a shame)...

I'll have a listen and let you know...

There was stuff that rightly deserved to be walked away from then as now, I get aggrieved that some old timers who were frankly a load of pony and trap back then are revered now just because they've managed to stay alive long enough!

The equivalent of Anarchy for the UK (or L'anarchie pour l'UK) is still out there, it just takes a different from.

Anyway, this thread has got far too much prog on it and as the man himself says "Never trust a hippie!", so we'll have something from Mister Lydon (even if he himself is a Pink Floyd fan)...

Touch Dance. Eurythmics. '84.

My personal favourite from Annie and Dave.

Victorialand by Cocteau Twins and The Moon And The Melodies by the Cocteaus and Harold Budd.

Budd is my favourite pianist by a country mile. The fact that he has worked with both my favourite band and Brian Eno just makes him even more awesome!

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:26, Gorby said:

You do get Ray Ellington and Max Geldray. The Goons are timeless. My 6 year old Grandson likes them. His favourite phrase is "Oh, he's fallen in the water" and he even gets the Blue Bottle voice correct.

John.

Ages. Edgar Froese. 1978, 1997.

I have it on vinyl and think its the better than the remastered edition in '97. Have not heard the remix from 2005.

Just about to embark on an evening of red wine and King Crimson

Why not?

SD

11 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Neurovision by Telex. Pure gold from Belgium circa 1980. Perhaps I shouldn't love it, but I do.

You're right you shouldn't...

...it does remind me of Devo, which is not a bad thing (and far less proggy than much of this thread)!

I picked up the cassette version of Neurovision a few years back, gave it a quick play, and pretty much dismissed it. Last week I gave it a second chance, and now I can't stop listening to it! Some very catchy tunes laced with some Belgium dry wit and humour. I'm afraid I'm hooked! 

I particularly like the story behind their 1980 Eurvision Contest entry. Write and submit a fairy naff song sort of mocking the contest along with a burning desire for last place. Unfortuantely, I read that they got beaten to the last place by Portugal. Never mind lads! I must have watched that one too as a kid. Eurovision seemed to be a bit of an event in our house. I can only imagine there was nothing else on.

(Edit: I read the other day that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top digs Telex, so I guess I'm not entirely alone!)

Edited by fightersweep

On 17/03/2018 at 5:28 PM, Wez said:

I've never heard the original, but I have heard Billy Bragg's version of Fear is a Man's Best Friend on the NME compilation tape, Department of Enjoyment.

YouTube clips of The Fall for me lately, plus Junkyard by The Birthday Party.

Edited by JosephLalor

22 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I've never heard the original, but I have heard Billy Bragg's version of Fear is a Man's Best Friend on the NME compilation tape, Department of Enjoyment.

YouTube clips of The Fall for me lately, plus Junkyard by The Birthday Party.

Bragg's version of Fear is a Man's Best Friend was my first exposure to that song, likewise, Siouxsie and the Banshee's version of Gun, was my first exposure to that song, surprising considering what a big fan of the Velvet Underground I was...

...prefer Cale's versions of both these days

Edited by Wez