This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mick4350

What music are you playing ? Part IV

Lili was Here.  David A. Stewart featuring Candy Dulfer, 1989.

The Mrs and I went to see Nils Frahm at the Cambridge Corn Exchange a couple of days ago. An excellent concert. I ended up listening to a few other artists from the Erased Tapes label when we got back, like A Winged Victory For The Sullen and Olafur Arnalds.

Also Abandoned Cities and The Serpent In Quicksilver by Harold Budd and Departure Songs by Hammock.

Listening to Gregorian and Alan Parsons Project on You Tube, some would say strange choices but i like em.

ATB 

jim

It's been a night of my old Tangerine Dream LP's: 

Force Majeure

White Eagle

Exit

and now Thief.

:)

14 hours ago, Gorby said:

Force Majeure

White Eagle

Exit

and now Thief.

Nice one. Exit was the first TD album that I bought back in the 80's. It was a tape, but then I upgraded it when those new fangled compact disc things came out. I believe that it was recorded in your neck of the woods.

John.

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice one. Exit was the first TD album that I bought back in the 80's. It was a tape, but then I upgraded it when those new fangled compact disc things came out. I believe that it was recorded in your neck of the woods.

John.

Now that downloading digital music is the new way, being one step behind everyone else, I'm gradually replacing my LP's with CD's. That's why I'm playing them to decide which to get and the ones that I'm not that fussed with. Last nights conclusion was 'Yes' to all except 'Force Majeure'.

Currently listening to 'Rubycon'. Lined up for later:

Stratosfear

Phaedra

Encore

A playlist of Morrissey's setlist from the Newcastle gig I was at on Friday! Suedehead all the way!

Earlier today, not playing but listening to the kid next door doing a good job of pretending to be Neil Peart playing drums in Rush's 2112....:thumbsup:

Thanks to this weather that we're having, my management insisted that I work from home rather than risk my neck on the daily 100 mile commute.

Great! This means I get to sit in front of a computer, in my pants, working my way through a stack of classic vinyl... Well, it's old vinyl, some may consider it not to be classic.

So, the eponymous first album and "Ha!Ha!Ha!" By Ultravox! (Exclamation mark used to be in the band title), "Human's Lib" by Howard Jones, "One Eyed Jacks" by Spear of Destiny, "The Works" by Queen, "Waiting for the Floods" by the Armoury Show, "Script for a Jester's Tear" by Marillion and a Jethro Tull compilation.

More vinyl delights await tomorrow...

IanJ

The wonderful Caro Emerald doesn't so much cover Lady Gaga's Bad Romance as completely re-invent it:

18 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

"Ha!Ha!Ha!" By Ultravox!

Still one one of my favourite albums nearly 40 years after first hearing it.

Going to listen to one of my old records tonight. Ages by Edgar Froese and I believe it is better than the remixed edition some years later when released on CD. May also line up, Epsilon in Malaysian Pale, Aqua and Macular Transfer, all on vinyl and don't have those on CD yet.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, Gorby said:

Now that downloading digital music is the new way, being one step behind everyone else, I'm gradually replacing my LP's with CD's. That's why I'm playing them to decide which to get and the ones that I'm not that fussed with. Last nights conclusion was 'Yes' to all except 'Force Majeure'.

Currently listening to 'Rubycon'. Lined up for later:

Stratosfear

Phaedra

Encore

I have many of the old Tangerine Dream albums on vinyl and many on CD, but I'm not getting rid of the vinyl as the covers are designed by the late Edgar Froese's late wife Monique of which are much better on the coverslip of the record when compared to the CD.

19 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

I have many of the old Tangerine Dream albums on vinyl and many on CD, but I'm not getting rid of the vinyl as the covers are designed by the late Edgar Froese's late wife Monique of which are much better on the coverslip of the record when compared to the CD.

I rarely play vinyl now, but for some reason I'm more emotionally attached to them than my CDs. I've nearly got rid of them on a couple of occasions before, but not gone through with it. So I have the silly situation of having the LP and CD for some and only playing the ripped copy 99% of the time.

Time to get rid I think. :sad:

Funnily enough, vinyl never went away in our house.

We have between us quite a collect of CD's and vinyl, but the vast majority of music purchased by us now a days

is vinyl.

We now regret giving away some of the vinyl we didn't think much of at the time and have since, in some cases, re-bought it!

The vinyl thing is more of an "event" that leads to greater enjoyment for us. Album covers, coloured vinyl etc.

But it's the good old SD and MP3's for the car now, as modern cars no longer seem to have a CD player!

That was a shock when I went to play a new CD in the brand new car last year! Especially as it was an "Upgraded" version of my last car's HiFi.

Sigh, progress.

Off to have a quick blast of Frank Turner, on vinyl of course!

Turn up the Denon and exercise the Kef's...

Rick.

Wakey wakey next door!

6 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Epsilon in Malaysian Pale

I was playing that on Friday during my 7 hour drive up through France. Made the time go quicker.

As to the vinyl topic; I have over 400 of them going back to my first purchases which were Johnny and the Hurricanes, and In Style with the Crickets. My daughter has told me in no uncertain terms, that I am not to get rid of them as she wants them left to her in my will. Naturally, I will obey.

John.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, Gorby said:

Force Majeure

White Eagle

Exit

and now Thief.

Its been awhile since I listened to Force Majeure. Also Trans Harmonic Nights, Peter Baumann 1979. Pressed locally in Australia Festival Records.

5 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Its been awhile since I listened to Force Majeure.

It was quite awhile for me as well and I wasn't particularly impressed. It's not on the list of CDs to buy. 

Buckcherry.. the down and dirty rock n roll has helped me through a tough time lately.. especially one song and I cannot reproduce the full title ...'say F___ it' 🤘