D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

I'm already in, but I've just acquired a Revell 1/35 LCM3 for a very good price so I'm keen to add that to the mix. It comes complete with a Jeep and trailer but I may have to get a Sherman and do that too.

• Like 3

On 13/10/2018 at 14:42, MarkSH said:

I'm already in, but I've just acquired a Revell 1/35 LCM3 for a very good price so I'm keen to add that to the mix. It comes complete with a Jeep and trailer but I may have to get a Sherman and do that too.

Sounds good Mark, with either Sherman or Jeep.

On 13/10/2018 at 14:57, uncletommy said:

Count me in on this also if you please.  Not completely sure what I'll bring to the table but I do have a couple of ideas.  :idea:

You are in, and very welcome

• Like 1

Good morning Robert

We just need to know when this GB will take place ...

On April 20-21st 2019 a small model show will take place in Mondeville near Caen ..

Cheers

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

We just need to know when this GB will take place ...

A start date of 6th June may be appropriate?

• Like 5

The group build moderator decides the dates, but before that can happen, this GB has to be voted through to make it to next year's GB calendar.  That occurs next month I believe?  All that is certain now is we have made the poll among other entries.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JackG said:

The group build moderator decides the dates, but before that can happen, this GB has to be voted through to make it to next year's GB calendar.  That occurs next month I believe?  All that is certain now is we have made the poll among other entries.

regards,

Jack

Jack,

Whilst that's normally the case, I've got a feeling that this one will be in come hell or high water!

• Like 5

oops I forgot I put my hand up to Co-Host this one! :doh:

Luckily this one starts right at the end of my GB.

Unfortunately my 1/32nd Typhoon won't be eligible for this one, I may have to bring a german AFV to this one....will have to see what shows up.

• Like 2

No matter TR, I think the dates were fairly predictable for this one.

We'll see what you build when the time comes

OT, I'm reading this ATM ...

51VPfoK82BL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a memoir presented as a novel, very good if you can find an affordable copy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to join this one please. It's a big Anniversary so I've just acquired a big kit.

I've never built a 1:24 so I've thrown caution to the wind and purchased an Airfix Hurricane from the 'For Sale' section. Not sure whether to feel :cool: or :facepalm:. Time will tell :wink:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'd like to join this one please. It's a big Anniversary so I've just acquired a big kit.

I've never built a 1:24 so I've thrown caution to the wind and purchased an Airfix Hurricane from the 'For Sale' section. Not sure whether to feel :cool: or :facepalm:. Time will tell :wink:

It's not a 'bad' kit - but if you chose to pop the engine in watch out for 'nose droop'.  I closed mine up - after I had figured out how to pop the exhausts in.  There is a really cool instrument panel available - but other after market products are very few on the ground for these older 'super kits'.  I  really hope you enjoy it.

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, Steve. Are you referring to the Yahu panels? I can see them on a couple of websites and they do look nice!

Actually, after having a scoot about the internet, can someone confirm if this model is suitable for the D-Day GB? It would seem that the Hurricane is more suited to the Battle of Britain though it does say that many took part during D-Day. My query is that that they seem to be mostly MkII's and I'm hoping there would have been some MKI's also :unsure:

• Like 2

Hello @wimbledon99, and welcome to the build

Hurricanes on D-Day are a possibility, but, unlikely to be front-line aircraft.   You will have to do some research, and, maybe, upgrade the kit.

There are some suggestions in this thread (OP is a different Robert, not me):

Post 10 and 12 in that thread show some possible candidates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello @wimbledon99, and welcome to the build

Hurricanes on D-Day are a possibility, but, unlikely to be front-line aircraft.   You will have to do some research, and, maybe, upgrade the kit.

There are some suggestions in this thread (OP is a different Robert, not me):

Post 10 and 12 in that thread show some possible candidates.

Thanks Robert. Looks like a couple without cannons so maybe it will fit. I'll see what I can find by way of decals.

P.S. How do you put a post within a post like that?? :coolio:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I see Revell are releasing a 1/72 aircraft gift set for the anniversary I assume it will contain both their mustang and thunderbolt tooling, but given the price must have something else, wonder what it’ll have in it.....

Think it has a couple of armour kits included. 

More details can be found here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Thanks for the info, Steve. Are you referring to the Yahu panels? I can see them on a couple of websites and they do look nice!

Actually, after having a scoot about the internet, can someone confirm if this model is suitable for the D-Day GB? It would seem that the Hurricane is more suited to the Battle of Britain though it does say that many took part during D-Day. My query is that that they seem to be mostly MkII's and I'm hoping there would have been some MKI's also :unsure:

Yeh - Yahu - I couldn't remember this morning - I bought one for mine and the Hurry cockpit is quite 'open' in a lot of ways - so you can actually see it - unlike a lot of panels that just seem to vanish into darkness once you close them up.  I  really hope your research turns something up and you pull it off.

Off Topic

On 17/11/2018 at 15:09, wimbledon99 said:

P.S. How do you put a post within a post like that?? :coolio:

Copy a link to the post ... either from the address bar at the top of your browser, and paste into your reply.

Or, if you want a specific post, right-click the number at the top right-hand side of the post (the #115 in your post above), and again, past into your reply.

p.s. as far as I know, the trick only works for posts on the same site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Off Topic

Copy a link to the post ... either from the address bar at the top of your browser, and paste into your reply.

Or, if you want a specific post, right-click the number at the top right-hand side of the post (the #115 in your post above), and again, past into your reply.

p.s. as far as I know, the trick only works for posts on the same site.

Thank you!! :thanks:

• Like 1

I saw this GB in list and thought great I will sign up , I have the Eduard Longest Day Spitfire IX duo kit or the MPM A-20G D-Day Havocs kit to build ....  then realised I was already signed up threatening to build my 1st armor piece for 40 years !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

:)  why not build all four kits?  Any of those would be great

Now that sort of response is familiar...   ...are you sure you're not @Enzo Matrix in disguise?

• Haha 1