D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

seeing I'm now the proud owner of a MDC 1/32nd Typhoon (big sexy resin beastie) I need a reason to build her and this looks like the perfect opportunity, so count me in.

The scheme I have for her has a shark's mouth!

Big sexy resin beastie HAS to be the title 

I can’t wait to see that getting built 

• Like 3

On 25/08/2018 at 00:59, trickyrich said:

seeing I'm now the proud owner of a MDC 1/32nd Typhoon (big sexy resin beastie) I need a reason to build her and this looks like the perfect opportunity, so count me in.

The scheme I have for her has a shark's mouth!

You are in Rich, with the big sexy resin beastie

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Well I guess I now have to keep that for the title of the build, gosh knows what someone will think seeing the title in the build thread list!!!

:)

If the build goes ahead, it's an option - unless Mike objects

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Well I guess I now have to keep that for the title of the build, gosh knows what someone will think seeing the title in the build thread list!!!

We will all be thinking the same thing

• Haha 2

Hmm, does this mean I could do a sequel to my "Road Hogs" diorama from the 70th anniversary GB? I still have about 1/3rd of the Bailey Bridge kit left, I suppose I could do the other side of the bridge :D

Or I might just go with an easier aircraft with invasion stripes or something (got the 1:24 Typhoon in the stash... hmmm might not be 'easier')

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Hmm, does this mean I could do a sequel to my "Road Hogs" diorama from the 70th anniversary GB? I still have about 1/3rd of the Bailey Bridge kit left, I suppose I could do the other side of the bridge :D

Or I might just go with an easier aircraft with invasion stripes or something (got the 1:24 Typhoon in the stash... hmmm might not be 'easier')

Eitrher would be good @Kallisti

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no worries happy to help out.

Fingers crossed it goes ahead as I may bring my resin 1/32nd Typhoon!! :D

Thanks Rich :)

I've been thinking about it a bit and reckon I should do a diorama with the other side of the bridge with the remains of a BBQ pit with some pork cracking left over :)

(see my previous diorama if you don't understand what I'm talking about)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I've been thinking about it a bit and reckon I should do a diorama with the other side of the bridge with the remains of a BBQ pit with some pork cracking left over :)

(see my previous diorama if you don't understand what I'm talking about)

BRILLIANT IDEA :lol:

• Thanks 1

Ozzy, that must've been quite a trip! Thanks for the pics! I only managed to sneak out for a day in Normandy when we spent a week in Paris. Not bad, though: From Caen to Hill 112 (of Op. Epsom), then to Lingevres and via Bayeux to Arromanches-les-Bains. Back to Caen via Courselles, driving along the coastline. Great day out and beat Disneyland 6-0!

• Like 1

Having never had the opportunity to visit its something I really must address. Very interesting photos of the beaches, terrain and man made structures , but its the stark white of the cemetery crosses that leaves the most striking afterimage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Ozzy, that must've been quite a trip! Thanks for the pics! I only managed to sneak out for a day in Normandy when we spent a week in Paris. Not bad, though: From Caen to Hill 112 (of Op. Epsom), then to Lingevres and via Bayeux to Arromanches-les-Bains. Back to Caen via Courselles, driving along the coastline. Great day out and beat Disneyland 6-0!

Thanks V-P,

it it was a fantastic trip, it was all done by peddle bike which allowed me to stop a will. We stayed to the coast and concentrated on the initial phases, I would have liked to go a little inland. Sounds like your trip to the coast was a welcome break from the razzmatazz of Disneyland.

5 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Having never had the opportunity to visit its something I really must address. Very interesting photos of the beaches, terrain and man made structures , but its the stark white of the cemetery crosses that leaves the most striking afterimage.

It's only been in recent years I'd been, literally someone asked me at work if I wanted to go to France for a week. I jumped at the chance, Normandy is definitely worth a trip I would make a detailed plan of where you want to see as there is loads to look at. The graves are the great leveller to the trip, the crosses are of members of the 116 infantry battalion. They are all from the same town Bedford Virginia, I read a book called the Bedford boys which tells their story. They were the first wave onto a sector of Omaha beach, the photo above with the pier in it that was the western edge of Omaha beach and their objective. The other grave is of Dan Brotheridge, he was a member of the ox and bucks that took Pegasus bridge he was the first Member of the invasion to lose his life on D-Day.

• Like 3

Good morning Ozzy

Thank you for the pics 👍

I would like to give this advice to those who would like to come to Normandy next year: avoid coming in June because we expect the arrival of many heads of state to the different commemorative ceremonies that will take place and for security reasons it will surely be difficult to drive in cars in places like Benouville (Pegasus Bridge) , Sainte Mére Eglise ... and also do not wait to reserve hotel rooms , cottages or camping places.

Cheers

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2