D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

14 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm not sure about the time-line for the airbourne operations, did they land before, or after mid-night of 5-6 June?

Was planning a take off diorama, so that would definitely be 5th.

Phil

12 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'm not sure about the time-line for the airbourne operations, did they land before, or after mid-night of 5-6 June?

Good afternoon Rob 

May be this could help you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normandy_landings

Personnally I think that this Gb should take in account all the air and sea operations undertaken in preparation before DDAY ..

Patrice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Rob 

Personnally I think that this Gb should take in account all the air and sea operations undertaken in preparation before DDAY , and don't forget that commandos forces were already in Normandy for several days working with the French Resistance ..

Patrice

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shatters said:

Was planning a take off diorama, so that wojld definitely be 5th.

Phil

42 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Rob 

Personnally I think that this Gb should take in account all the air and sea operations undertaken in preparation before DDAY ..

Patrice

Phil, your take-off diorama is directly related to D-Day, and I'd love to see it built.

More generally, I'd like to hear from the BritModeller community, and see what they have to say about dates. 

@SleeperService, thanks, that's very useful :)

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Please count me in too. I fancy a Crusader AA tank or SP AA gun. Or a Horsa. Or a Sherman BARV. Decisions. Decisions.

You are in, and very welcome :)

Sorry, I was being a bit slow on the up-take earlier

• Thanks 1

I was going to enter the last D-Day GB with the Miles Messenger that Monty used to make his first visit to Normandy.  Unfortunately the kit remains unbuilt in my stash ;)

I forget the exact date of Monty's visit, but if it fits within what's agreed for this GB I'd be happy to have another go.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

I was going to enter the last D-Day GB with the Miles Messenger that Monty used to make his first visit to Normandy.  Unfortunately the kit remains unbuilt in my stash ;)

I forget the exact date of Monty's visit, but if it fits within what's agreed for this GB I'd be happy to have another go.

Cheers

Cliff

You are very welcome Cliff

I'm pretty sure Monty will have arrived within our time frame (whatever we settle with ;)) so I hope you'll be able to build the Messenger here

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spaddad said:

What, all of it!

I have, in 1:1200 scale and in 1:350 scale I have the Spud pontoons and some bridges to the shore.  I am scratchbuilding more bridges as I need them.

Mike

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I have, in 1:1200 scale and in 1:350 scale I have the Spud pontoons and some bridges to the shore.  I am scratchbuilding more bridges as I need them.

Mike

Man that's mental, got any pikchas?

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

I wouldn't mind joining in on this.  I would do a Seafire III from the spotting pool.  Lt Cmdr M Crossley shot down a BF109 just after D-Day whilst spotting the fall of shot for the Royal Navy..

Hello Grey Beema, you are very welcome

22 hours ago, spaddad said:
22 hours ago, bootneck said:

Man that's mental, got any pikchas?

Here is a view of a dry-fit layout I did for some of the 1:1200 scale harbour.  The table is 9 feet wide and these took up all of it. The LST pier spud pontoon can be seen in the centre of the board.

P1130426_eastern_breakwater_dry_fit_1280

Another view, with small craft added to the sunk blockships and caissons, the LST pier is centre-left with a vessel either side.  The board is just a base to test fit my builds.

P1130438_eastern_breakwater_with_various

The 1:350 scale version just concentrates on the area surrounding the  LST pier plus a few of the vehicle bridge spans to the shore.  Here is a view of one side of a bridge span being constructed

Bridge_span_spars_resized_800.jpg

The complete bridge span before painting

bridge_spans_cut_11_resized_800_wide.jpg

The finished item.  There were three road bridges to the shore, each having approx. 33 of these bridge spans connected to make the roadway :frantic:

bridge_spans_cut_13_resized_800_wide.jpg

The ambulances are produced by L'Arsenal.

There is also a set in 1:144 scale that I am messing around with.

Mike

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...