D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

On 05/06/2019 at 14:40, trickyrich said:

as the gorgeous Co-Host :D welcome along to your first GB.

It's great to have you along for your first GB, they're lots of fun and a really great way to make new friends and learn new modelling tips. Plus feel free to ask questions about the build or others builds, you'll find everyone here more than happy to help.

As Robert said there's no problems at all if you want to build the same model as someone else. Your build sounds interesting as I don't know much about these aircraft in this form.

So good luck with your build, look forward to following it and seeing her completed in the gallery.

Hi, Tricyrich!

Many thanks for you warm words. I hope to share the first pictures of my model soon. I also hope not to disappoint you. And, of course, follow your works.

Miguel 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mihajlo said:

I hope to share the first pictures of my model soon.

Please, we'd like to see :)

2 hours ago, Mihajlo said:

I also hope not to disappoint you.

Don't worry about it - if the model is good, we can learn from you, if not, well, maybe we can help you improve?

Note: photographs will pull out issues in models that you may not have know about, and are a good way of checking your own work.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Note: photographs will pull out issues in models that you may not have know about, and are a good way of checking your own work.

So true! Pictures can be brutal in revealing imperfection not noticed before and are a great way for a final check  :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to see your build here Miguel.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Hi,
Rooster closed? Still allowed to enlist?

I have Eduards 1/48 Hawker Tempest (I & II) where the only thing I managed so far is to break the fragile cockpit cage (twice, both kits).
Second option would be a 1/35 WC 57  Command Car branded AFV-Club. It is referred to as Patton's car but I am pretty sure I have a reference picture where Gen. Bradley is seated in one. 

Anyway, I know its l8, and regardless I am looking forward to see your builds in this GB.

BTW - anyone seen a Hawker Hurricane dressed up with Invasion stripes?

Zack 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zack said:

Hi,

I have Eduards 1/48 Hawker Tempest (I & II) where the only thing I managed so far is to break the fragile cockpit cage (twice, both kits).
Second option would be a 1/35 WC 57  Command Car branded AFV-Club. It is referred to as Patton's car but I am pretty sure I have a reference picture where Gen. Bradley is seated in one. 

Anyway, I know its l8, and regardless I am looking forward to see your builds in this GB.

Zack 

I'm sure there'll be a host along any minute to confirm but I would say welcome aboard, start up a thread and dive in. Personally, I'd love to see that WC 57 built.

As to striped Hurricanes, there's one on this set: 2 TAF Aircraft

Andy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zack said:

Hi,

Zack 

@Zack, roster only closes when the GB closes - sign up and get building.

Tempest sounds fine - if you can handle the cockpit cage - as does the Command car.

Re Hurricane, there was discussion earlier in this thread this should throw up the posts? https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=hurricane&type=forums_topic&item=235034214

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I'm sure there'll be a host along any minute to confirm but I would say welcome aboard, start up a thread and dive in. Personally, I'd love to see that WC 57 built.

As to striped Hurricanes, there's one on this set: 2 TAF Aircraft

Andy

Maybe a couple of hours ... :)

• Haha 1

On 11/06/2019 at 16:44, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Miguel... welcome i don't think its really possible to disappoint us ? If you try thats all thats important.

Abso-flippin'-lutely!  :D   The whole point of groupbuilds is to join in and enjoy the experience.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 04/06/2019 at 17:07, Mihajlo said:

Hi, Guys!

If I'm still on time, I would appreciate if you let me join this GT. I think it is a unique opportunity to build a D-Day model.

I check Britmodeller forum every day but, frankly speaking, I only wrote a few messages. I'm sorry. 

I found out about this GT because of my friend Andres who has already joined to this GT too (Hi, Andres!).

I would like to build a 1/72 Hurricane assigned to a ADLS (Air Despatch letter service). I saw that Erwin will build another ADLS Hurricane. If he has no inconvenience, I will go ahead with my little Hurri. Same aircraft but different markings.

Cheers!

Miguel

Hi, Miguel Ángel

Welcome !!!

I'm anxious to see the advances in that Hurri. I'm sure it will be spectacular.

A hug my friend.

Utah

On 05/06/2019 at 18:55, RJ-WobblyHands said:

and where the film 'The Longest Day' was slightly incorrect this is a 'Rupert' or Dummy paratrooper , not sure a small Hessian sack with a stick of fire crackers would have been believable in a film :) 

erlKHTj.jpg

Hi.

Possibly you are right. I do not think that for a night operation (where the only thing that can be seen is the parachute) they made dolls as detailed as they appear in The Longest Day.

However, in the bar-museum on Utah Beach, where they had many objects recovered from the battle, such as an MG42 machine gun, they also had one of the supposed paratroopers that was used as a decoy on the night of D-Day. I took several pictures of the place, including these, on a trip I took last year.

Regards.

48063666956_09c3b5e2ea_b.jpg

48063754527_ff22a2bce5_b.jpg

48063755957_970f958da1_b.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Is it just me or is there a lack of Normandy mustang decals available? Though given I have  few airfix mustangs in the stash I’d look for some as I wasn’t sure I have a stripy mustang (turns out I do) 

Hi.

Well, I do not think it's a total and absolutely serious problem not to have specific decals. If a P-51 was in May of 1944 in the ETO surely one month later it would take them.

Regards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Is it just me or is there a lack of Normandy mustang decals available? Though given I have  few airfix mustangs in the stash I’d look for some as I wasn’t sure I have a stripy mustang (turns out I do)

5 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

Well, I do not think it's a total and absolutely serious problem not to have specific decals. If a P-51 was in May of 1944 in the ETO surely one month later it would take them.

Regards.

Heres a unit by unit listing of the 8th Fighter command F.Groups. The yellow lines indicate arrival in theater ?

4OStjsb.png

It shows when they each had P-38's, P-47's, and P-51's. It also shows when they transitioned from one type to the next. For example the 20th did not have mustangs until late July 1944. So they still operated P-38's on D-day. This should give anyone an idea if Mustangs were operated in June, July, or August of 44. 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It's touch and go if my second build for this GB will even make the starting line as still mired in a protracted house move (the joys of working from home and needing uninterrupted internet access means there'll be almost 4 weeks between getting the keys and completing the move). The last kit is now in the country though. I know this because I've been stung for customs on it - the fee isn't too bad at £3 but the £8 the Post Office are wanting for collecting is a bit wince inducing. Still, we've all been there I suspect, and when I have the parcel in my sweaty mitts all that will be forgotten.

Andy

Between stools

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello @Foxbat

Hope you can go ahead with your second build, but I understand some of the difficulties in moving.

The Post Office fee sounds a bit steep, what kit is it that had to come through customs?  Can you say?

Happy to; it's a 1/35 leFH.18M, the interim lightened model with the muzzle brake and big wheels. The original gun is easy to get hold of in several scales and the 18/40 with small wheels and tubular trails is also quite easy to source.

So of course I wanted to build the other one because i found a great reference picture. It has only been kitted once, as a limited edition which is long out of production. I eventually found three in the US, and justified it as a house warming present to myself. 

It was this build that inspired me to ask about jackboots recently. Got some really nice crew in the post.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi all,

just wanted to say (modelling time a bit short and time to comment/like on the gb even shorter this week) a lot of fantastic builds going on.  Keep up the great work folks!! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HELP !!! ... Im not an RAF Color expert ? Im using xtracrylic paints on this right now but can switch to Tamiya. I sprayed the Medium Sea Grey on the bottom of my Tempest but it seems awfully dark ? More like a dark gull grey ? 

JiwAPNK.jpg

Here is the Tamiya bottle to show the difference ? This is what i thought medium sea grey looked like not that ? 

a8vsnBC.jpg

Any ideas if which is correct ? I can repaint its not to late so please help ? 

Dennis

EDIT: I eventually decided i couldn't live with it and resprayed it using the Tamiya. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, folks!

I'm sorry to say that I will not finally participate in this GB. These last two months have been very stressful in my job and family matters have not allowed me to spend time with my models kits. I'm sorry I can not participate in this group that I joined with great enthusiasm. I continue following the amazing works that you are sharing.

I apologize to everyone :(

Best regards.

Miguel

• Sad 2

Hello @Mihajlo, sorry to hear about your worries at work and at home.  I hope they come right for you .

No appology is needed - many people sign up for group builds, but, for whatever reason, do not take part.

Group builds are meant to be enjoyed, but, for any of us, real life can take over.  

Don't worry too much that you couldn't take part in this one, but feel free to join another when you can.

Best regards

Robert

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

saw this at RIAT last week, not sure if @Robert Stuart has seen many requests to build one of these.

{snip}

Not that I can remember, but, if you can produce reliable evidence that it was available and served during Operation Overlord, then you are welcome to build one here.

• Haha 1