D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

Gathering my materials (both written and physical) for my P-47 build and am still torn between 2 schemes, and before the usual suspects chime in I've only got one model!

Also been seriously side tracked by other build possibilities which I know I shouldn't start due to other GB commitments and the fact that they are bigger, namely an A-20G havoc and a B-26 Marauder. Oh dear............

• Like 3

Those are all fine subjects, Craig! Let's all hope for a cold and rainy summer to keep us indoors and building :hmmm:no, that's not a good thing to hope for, but the probability of it happening anyway must be high!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Those are all fine subjects, Craig! Let's all hope for a cold and rainy summer to keep us indoors and building :hmmm:no, that's not a good thing to hope for, but the probability of it happening anyway must be high!

I don't mind a bit of "modelling weather" as long as it doesn't coincide with airshow visits, and lets be generous and add other peoples airshow visits as well :) .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Indeed. We have the main annual air show of the Finnish Aeronautical Association this year at my local airfield, at the mid-June weekend about two weeks from now. https://www.airshowturku.fi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=105

My summer projects: Ju 88, Bf 109, another Bf 109, Kittyhawk and a B-17. Will try Tamiya rattle can paints for the first time with the Fort. I guess that's enough 🙂

• Like 1

That little lot should keep you busy for a while VP, it certainly would me.

I think the rattle can is a good idea for the B-17, I used a white one for my Coastal Command one.

I hope the weather is good for your airshow, you certainly have a lot of very important anniversaries this year and deserve the good weather.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig, this is actually the third 100th anniversary air show in a row, 2017 it was for the independence of Finland, 2018 for the 2nd oldest Air Force in the world and now for the association...

The Ju 88 is half finished, first Bf 109 is the seventh AZmodel kit I build so should give me no nasty surprises, the second and the Kittyhawk :wicked: more of that later... But the B-17 will be my first Academy one. Fortunately many of us built them in the B-17 STGB and I can go and take a look at their build threads :thumbsup:

V-P

• Like 2

I didn't plan to enter this but D-Day has always been a huge interest of mine so I'll enter with either a Spitfire Mk IX or a Tempest. Either way the kit will be Eduard and probably OOB. 

• Like 2

Wow, the one we’ve all been waiting for is here. Got Band of Brothers on right now air dropping in pre-invasion and a great line up films and documentaries left for the weekend and run up to the green light at midnight. First thread is up with Maj. Kurt Bühligen’s Fw 190 which will be followed by Priller’s and possibly his wing man. A Bf 109 G from the invasion and up my sleeve a little silver P51 with invasion stripes..See how we go with Bühligen and Priller for starters. Already the GB is building and there are some really diverse subjects, going to be a great few months on here 

• Like 4

On 5/30/2019 at 1:35 PM, trickyrich said:

On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Can I get a ruling on this B-25? Paused it a few weeks ago, one of the decal options I have is stripy 

47964813636_0d37a9eebc_b.jpg

Hmmm that may just be a wee past the 25% ruling.............maybe closer to 50%! :whistle:

In this case I'd have to say no. You still have the option to build her in this GB. but she will not be eligible to go into the gallery!

...so does that mean I have the option to finish this Mk IX? -  but not put up any gallery shots.

rGPbHx9L6B4HKXxdKQHNSvWPzE_Gm15tkOAQP0Zo

well beyond 25%...

a9KMHosy4saCphdvU0yQQAu46XrJPdtKvKmBTA4g

I want to do a little vignette with this and it would nicely compliment the Fw 190 I'm doing.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R

So I actually went and pulled some kits out of the closet for closer inspection of the decals.  I do have a Spitfire & Mustang from ‘44 w/ stripes.  I need to do further research to see if the squadrons actually participated over the beach though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

So I actually went and pulled some kits out of the closet for closer inspection of the decals.  I do have a Spitfire & Mustang from ‘44 w/ stripes.  I need to do further research to see if the squadrons actually participated over the beach though.

Chris, your build does not have to have been "over the beaches".

We are being a bit more flexible than just D-Day, and looking at the Overlord campaign, which ended on 30th August '44.

HTH

• Like 2

To the moderators,

I have a D-Day Typhoon in the shelf of doom since 2015. I've gone through several false starts and there are still no two parts that have been glued together:

May I enter the GB with this build?

Thanks

Jaime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Chris, your build does not have to have been "over the beaches".

We are being a bit more flexible than just D-Day, and looking at the Overlord campaign, which ended on 30th August '44.

HTH

10-4.  I kinda deduced that from the earlier posts, but I just want to make sure the depicted squadrons were actually deployed over occupied territory during the campaign window.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave_R said:

...so does that mean I have the option to finish this Mk IX? -  but not put up any gallery shots.

rGPbHx9L6B4HKXxdKQHNSvWPzE_Gm15tkOAQP0Zo

well beyond 25%...

a9KMHosy4saCphdvU0yQQAu46XrJPdtKvKmBTA4g

I want to do a little vignette with this and it would nicely compliment the Fw 190 I'm doing.

Dave.

yeah, she'll be in the same boat, it'll just miss out in going into the gallery, but feel free to build her, your plans sound interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Two cents.. All Operations including Pathfinders landed on the Continent on the 6th of June 1944. Based on readings of a "few" books and magazines and published details.

Second Comment..

My contribution to the Group Build will be an Honor Aircraft for 1st Lt William L Mushrush,

1st Lt William L Mushrush , 394FS of the 367th FG. This young man was flying a P-38J that crashed into the channel on 20 July 1944, resulting in his death.

I will use the kit pictured with Resin Interior and Eduard Photo-etch upgrades.

As I do not have the particular details of this Pilots Aircraft I will do a aircraft with natural metal, Lower Invasion stripes( July 1944) and 394th Squadron markings. I will include his name or initials somewhere in the markings. 

spacer.png

This model ,when completed will be given to a local Scout group who is supporting a museum display for this pilot who is from the local area.

Comments?

Bill D

PS ....I am doing all to Wait for next Thursday and the Starting gun.😳

spacer.png

Edited by Wdedig
  • Like 4