D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive got a Tempest V what units/codes for D-Day ? Or were the Tempests not flying yet ? 

The Newchurch Wing had been active for some time before D-day but the Tempests were retained for ADGB duties so weren't active over the beacheads.

They definitely wore Invasion stripes.

3 Sqn RAF - JF codes

486 Sqn RNZAF - SA codes

56 Sqn RAF - US codes

Newchurch was the first wing to receive Tempests so had a number or MkV Srs.1 aircraft on strength - as ever check photos!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon

For my first build in this Gb I plan to build the Tamiya 1/72 P 47D Razorback in the markings of Silver Lady 61st Fighter Squadron 56th Fighter Group 

190529012231331389.jpg

190529012735618269.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 3

I hate painting d-day stripes despite loving them as a subject, but I will be in with the reissue of the airfix typhoon off the bat, have one put aside for me and to my delight seeing the review of it on here has the stripes as decals. also can I get a ruling on what 25% counts as for an airfix b-25, started one recently but paused it 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

For my first build in this Gb I plan to build the Tamiya 1/72 P 47D Razorback in the markings of Silver Lady 61st Fighter Squadron 56th Fighter Group

Patrice

Just read 61st FS history on Wikipedea - a brief read, but an impressive unit.  Looking forward to your build Patrice.

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I hate painting d-day stripes despite loving them as a subject, but I will be in with the reissue of the airfix typhoon off the bat, have one put aside for me and to my delight seeing the review of it on here has the stripes as decals 

Sounds like Hawkers will be well represented with the addition of your Typhoon - and it sounds as though Airfix's decals will be a help to you.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, motogpMatt said:

Got an airfix 1/72 typhoon in the stash is it too late to put my name down? :)

All the best

Matt :)

Hello Matt

You don't need to ask, you are very are welcome to join in :)

• Like 1

I'll be watching these builds.  I've got too many irons in the fire, and surprisingly nothing in the stash anyways.  I did a quick peek, and Scalemates told me I'm getting damn near 200 kits in the closet...so I really need to try to throttle back on the purchases and instead try to get some builds finished.  

Looking forward to seeing the variety of builds.  Good luck all!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'll be watching these builds.  I've got too many irons in the fire, and surprisingly nothing in the stash anyways.  I did a quick peek, and Scalemates told me I'm getting damn near 200 kits in the closet...so I really need to try to throttle back on the purchases and instead try to get some builds finished.  

Looking forward to seeing the variety of builds.  Good luck all!

Thanks Chris.

If you change your mind, you'll be very welcome to jump in and start a thread

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Chris.

If you change your mind, you'll be very welcome to jump in and start a thread

Absolutely.  I wasn't planning on the Blitzbuild either, so you never know.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Corsairfoxfouruncle

If you plan to build a Tempest I recommend this site

http://www.hawkertempest.se/

Patrice

So I checked out this sight per Patrice's recommendation. Turns out that Tempest V's from 3 Squadron were held in reserve until June 8th. Then they were allowed to roam and perform support missions over the beachhead and Normandy. Here is an excerpt from the site. 

7rbjcgm.png

So if its ok i will enter with a Mk. V from 3 Squadron ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So if its ok i will enter with a Mk. V from 3 Squadron ? 

Dennis

Hello Dennis, yes, that will be fine.

The build covers Opration Goodwood Overlord, which ended on 30th August 1944 - so you have a choice of wing stripes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hello Dennis, yes, that will be fine.

The build covers Opration Goodwood, which ended on 30th August 1944 - so you have a choice of wing stripes

Didn't Op. Goodwood end more than one month earlier than that. By the end of August, the battle for Normandy was over. V-P

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Will this Recce-Spitfire be OK?

S5000112.jpg

...it could be?? do you have any info on the Sqn and where they and this aircraft operated over.....the "Late 1944" is a bit on the vague side.

11 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Didn't Op. Goodwood end more than one month earlier than that. By the end of August, the battle for Normandy was over. V-P

yeah according to the good book Wiki Op. Goodwood ended in July44.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

You are right VP, I should have said Overlord, I've changed my reply above.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...it could be?? do you have any info on the Sqn and where they and this aircraft operated over.....the "Late 1944" is a bit on the vague side.

yeah according to the good book Wiki Op. Goodwood ended in July44.

Scalemates says 541 Sqdn.

Wikipedia says 541 had Spitfire XIX from June 1944-Oct 1946. 

And this link to The Spitfire site:   http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-pr-mk-xix-cold-war-warrior.html

20 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Scalemates says 541 Sqdn.

Wikipedia says 541 had Spitfire XIX from June 1944-Oct 1946. 

And this link to The Spitfire site:   http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-pr-mk-xix-cold-war-warrior.html

Cool, I had a quick wee check earlier, but as long as they were over that area at that time then go for it. They may have only been Recon missions but they were equally important.

57 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can I get a ruling on this B-25? Paused it a few weeks ago, one of the decal options I have is stripy 

47964813636_0d37a9eebc_b.jpg

Hmmm that may just be a wee past the 25% ruling.............maybe closer to 50%! :whistle:

In this case I'd have to say no. You still have the option to build her in this GB. but she will not be eligible to go into the gallery!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Will this Recce-Spitfire be OK?

S5000112.jpg

Been doing a bit of digging, to see if I can help.  This is a bit sideways, and I'm rusty with these materials, but ... here goes.

From the http://www.airhistory.org.uk/ site:

RM643 PRXIX CHA G65 Benson 28-5-44 106Grp 21-6-44 541S 22-7-44 EA 26-1-49 AGT Gatwick refurb and mods 12-1-51 29MU 5-6-51 nea 4-5-53 C5 9-9-53

(Source: http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/_prodn list.txt - Spitfire, the History by Morgan and Shacklady has - more or less - identical information, p463).

Which I interprut to suggest that RM643 was with 106 Group on 21 June, and joined 541 Squadron on 22 July.

The stripes look odd, they are possibly meant to be the style introduced in October 1944?  The instructions have unequal stripes.  IIRC, aircraft had all stripes the same size (18" on fighters?).

As @trickyrich says, go ahead, but ... as it would have been in our time scale (i.e. not after 30 August '44)

hmmm those strips do have me concerned as well. I know a month after the landings there was an order to have them removed, but this initially was for the upper wing strips., it was around the later part of the year that the under wing strips were removed. By 45 all strips should have had been removed.

This is where it gets really hard with some of these transition schemes. From the dates @Robert Stuart has mentioned she may or may not have had underwing strips for the period of the GB as she entered service with 541 Sqd in July 44. Did they know at that stage that the underwing trips were to be removed???

Therefore unless someone has some compelling reason otherwise in this case it'll be ok....just another one of these difficult schemes to decide on.

• Thanks 1