D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

I'll throw my hat into the ring too. I have a growing pile of Polish 1st Armoured Division options. They were a little late to the party but joined combat on 8 August assigned to 1st Canadian Army so just squeeze in. Not sure which kit I'll use, but it will be Tamiya and 1/48.

Andy

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:15 AM, Robert Stuart said:

The period covered by this GB is open to discussion

I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if the period is still up for discussion as per the first post. I would like to mark D-day by sticking to my core subject which is rail related. All the bombs and fuel delivered to East Anglia for use in the build up, and on the day were transported by train. Most of them obviously arrived prior to the  6th.

My plan would be to model the elements in a rail siding.  Couple of wagons, a crane and one or two lorries. This scene will have been replicated post 6th June so it probably would be OK. If so add me to the list.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if the period is still up for discussion as per the first post. I would like to mark D-day by sticking to my core subject which is rail related. All the bombs and fuel delivered to East Anglia for use in the build up, and on the day were transported by train. Most of them obviously arrived prior to the  6th.

My plan would be to model the elements in a rail siding.  Couple of wagons, a crane and one or two lorries. This scene will have been replicated post 6th June so it probably would be OK. If so add me to the list.

Resupply was key to the success of the invasion.  Since your scene would depict activity after 6th June, it sounds like a different but appropriate project.  Welcome to the build Paul.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Paul821 said:

A very different slant on things - sounds like a great project and very appropriate.

• Like 2

Well well.  I was just looking at the GB calendar and was reminded of this one.  I'd recently hatched an idea, and this would be a great impetus.

It dawned on me that 402 Squadron (RCAF) was flying Spit Vbs (and some cs) in June 1944, LF.IXs in July, and XIVes in August.  What a great "collection" entry for a model contest, thinks I!  I need to do a bit more research, but I think I'll be going with three successive aircraft associated with the same pilot.  If anybody happens to be a 402 Squadron buff, please get in touch...

bob

p.s. An old family friend who was enjoying the view from his P-47 on the day just died in February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

It dawned on me that 402 Squadron (RCAF) was flying Spit Vbs (and some cs) in June 1944, LF.IXs in July, and XIVes in August.  What a great "collection" entry for a model contest, thinks I!  I need to do a bit more research, but I think I'll be going with three successive aircraft associated with the same pilot.  If anybody happens to be a 402 Squadron buff, please get in touch...

That sounds like a good mix of Spitfires, welcome to the build

• Like 1

As we get closer, I finished my landing craft.

I read a book a number of years ago called the Bedford Boys, for those who have not read it. It's about a group of national Guardsmen from Bedford, Virginia, they were part of the 116 Infantry Regiment 29th Infantry Division. They were also the first wave on Dog Green Sector Omaha beach June 6th 1944, on a visit to Normandy last year I went to Omaha beach for the first time. While the rest of my group were in a cafe, I went down on the beach to get some 100% genuine Omaha beach sand for a build I had started the year before.

I used Italeri,s LCVP D-Day edition, various figures from Dragon and Masterbox with beach obstacles from Tamiya. There are various woodland scenics products used for the water.

Dog Green sector June 7th 1944

image.jpg

Dog Green Sector 75 years on

image.jpg

Some of the men from the Bedford Boys who didn't make it back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My build:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think that shows the dreadful nature of the events of that day.  The photos of the headstones just underline the human cost.

Out of all the beaches I’ve visited, Omaha has the Cemetery overlooking the beaches makes the cost of freedom very real. 

• Like 2

Hi.

I have a Spitfire Mk IX from Eduard 1/72 started in construction. Well, really just the cockpit, and to which I want to expose the engine and the guns. It is not shown in the forum precisely because it is not finalized. I wonder if I could participate with him continuing his construction.

And if I could not be with this little one, I would find something to participate in, looking at the hiding place.

Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

I have a Spitfire Mk IX from Eduard 1/72 started in construction. Well, really just the cockpit, and to which I want to expose the engine and the guns. It is not shown in the forum precisely because it is not finalized. I wonder if I could participate with him continuing his construction.

And if I could not be with this little one, I would find something to participate in, looking at the hiding place.

Cheers.

How far have you gone with your Spitfire Andrés?

Given you intend showing the engine (wonder how you are doing that?), I think it should be fine

Welcome to the build

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

How far have you gone with your Spitfire Andrés?

Given you intend showing the engine (wonder how you are doing that?), I think it should be fine

Welcome to the build

Hi.
With the Spitfire I have finished to complete the cockpit of the pilot and to stick the main parts of the engine.
I have used Eduard's equipment in resin, and I plan to use those belonging to the armament as well as the flaps in fhotoetched.

Is it allowed or only to make the OOB kit ?.
Greetings.

Hello @Andrés S.

Our aims are to build models and enjoy the build as part of a community of modellers - have a bit of fun.

Provided your Spitfire is less than 25% complete, then you will be very welcome to build it. 

How 25% is defined varies from modeller to modeller ...

I generally count the number of parts, and say less than 25% of the parts are glued on, you'd be OK.

There are other modellers here who say if the the fuselage is not closed, then there is a lot of work left to do, so you'd be within the 25% limit.

Given that you have an engine and guns - with lots of pieces, and presumable a fair amount of work to put in, I'd be very happy to see you join with your Spitfire.

If you still have doubts, can you post some images so we can see what is left to do?

Hello Robert Stuart.

I think you're right. I do not think that the work done so far exceeds 25% of the total considering that, in addition to the normal assembly of the kit including its paint, I will have to work the engine, the armament, flaps etc.
To date I have only done the following.

Cheers.

35699850953_d4829f3cea_b.jpg

35673827104_4f64cac077_b.jpg

36340402082_b65bfb99a0_b.jpg

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 2