D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

Among the many photos kindly shared by Mr @Ozzy in post #93 is one of the grave of Lt. H D Brotheridge. From the sign partially visible behind the gravestone it looks like perhaps he is buried where he fell rather than in a war cemetery but I can't tell, perhaps Ozzy can say.

But his name seemed familiar and I found him mentioned in Antony Beevor's history of D-Day. Den Brotheridge was in the very first group of glider borne troops to take off for France. They were tasked with capturing two bridges before the Germans could blow them. Beevor says; "Within moments, the first men out of [Maj] Howard's glider had hurled grenades through the slits of the pillbox on the west side of the Caen canal. The rest of the platoon did not wait. Led by Lieutenant Den Brotheridge, they were already charging across the bridge [...] But by the time Brotheridge's platoon reached the other side, the German guards had got themselves together and opened fire. Brotheridge was mortally wounded from a shot through the neck and died soon afterwards."

These stories need to be remembered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Among the many photos kindly shared by Mr @Ozzy in post #93 is one of the grave of Lt. H D Brotheridge. From the sign partially visible behind the gravestone it looks like perhaps he is buried where he fell rather than in a war cemetery but I can't tell, perhaps Ozzy can say.

But his name seemed familiar and I found him mentioned in Antony Beevor's history of D-Day. Den Brotheridge was in the very first group of glider borne troops to take off for France. They were tasked with capturing two bridges before the Germans could blow them. Beevor says; "Within moments, the first men out of [Maj] Howard's glider had hurled grenades through the slits of the pillbox on the west side of the Caen canal. The rest of the platoon did not wait. Led by Lieutenant Den Brotheridge, they were already charging across the bridge [...] But by the time Brotheridge's platoon reached the other side, the German guards had got themselves together and opened fire. Brotheridge was mortally wounded from a shot through the neck and died soon afterwards."

These stories need to be remembered. 

Indeed Churchill he was probably the first allied fatality of D-Day, he was buried by the local population along with a few others, this was before the cemetery next to the church was laid out, the cemetery houses other members of the Oz and Bucks and members of 9 PARA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Oz and Bucks

Ox and Bucks - the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, my Grandad's regiment, he took the scenic route coming up the beach.

He had an interesting war, Dunkirk, North Africa, Italy, D-Day, Reichswald Forest, Belsen - he was a Colour Sergeant on the HQ Batallion so he moved around within the regiment, usually where there was trouble.  As Colour Sergeant he participated in a lot of burial duties, my aunt says she remembers him being a happy man before the war, my mother only remembers him for being very taciturn after the war but he was always kind to us kids and had the odd flash of mischief.  I guess I understand why he seemed so dour now, these days he would rightly be treated for PTSD.

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 3

On 04/03/2019 at 12:35, bull-nut said:

Hmmm. I could have sworn I'd signed up for this. Never mind, count me in please with something clanky and boxy in SCC2

Whether you did, and I missed it (sorry if I did), or not - you are very welcome.

In the Spirit of keeping fresh.. I just finished this WACO and started my Horsa. I do Promise to keep something for 6 June.

2JZWVyK.jpg

Thanks

Cheers

Bill

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Wdedig said:

In the Spirit of keeping fresh.. I just finished this WACO and started my Horsa. I do Promise to keep something for 6 June.

Thanks

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill

Your WACO looks good

Already signed up a while ago, but have been considering doing the Staghound armoured car.  Was drawing up some decals and when sorting out their placement  on the front glacis, was running out of space along the bottom edge.  Some measuring of photos and comparing to The Bronco kit parts, its seems the hull machine gun mound is oversize, which in turn results in an improper location.  

MrDeWEM.jpg

89AjB6g.jpg

Zdxa96M.jpg

So the measuring done was taking the mg mound width, and spreading it across the glacis three times - note where the measurements end when comparing the photo to the kit part.  Have also taken an angled shot of the model, superimposed it over a period photo:

t3vl1d1.jpg

The red outline is of the mg mound on the photo, and clearly the comparison shows that particular detail on the kit is both too big  in height and width, plus it needs to shifted a bit closer to the hull side.  Really need to get some physical measurements of an  actual vehicle - anyone have a Staghound parked in their backyard?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fix would mainly  be some sanding to reshape and then changing slightly the position it sits - but it would be better to have some accurate dimensions.

I have been in contact with a group in the Netherlands called Taskforce LIberty as they have a restored Staghound.  They messaged back,  via Facebook, that they will pass on some measurements next time they are in their shop.  I hope they pull through on this, as  I was also in contact with a militarty museum in Oshawa, Ontario.  They only offered an invite to come visit and do the measurements my myself - odd that, not your typical friendly Canadian I suppose.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Hi all,

I might have been asked.But I can't find it if it has.

How much, in mm's, are the stripes for a 1/32 nd Hurricane IIc ?

Mail_being_loaded_into_a_Hurricane_Mk_II

Here's my 1/24 th Airfix Typhoon..

arwin-hallem.jpg?w=700

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

Hello @Erwin

IIRC, a Hurricane would have 18" (18 inch) stripes?

18" -> 457.20 mm (Source: https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/inches-to-millimeters.htm scroll down to check)

18" / 32 -> 457.20 mm / 32 -> 14.2875 mm (14.3 mm)

For the full five stripes,

18" * 5 -> 90"

90" / 32 -> 2286.0 mm / 32-> 71.3475 mm (71.3 mm)

These numbers are much too precise for modelling ...

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

How do get the group build art link so I can post the d-day build banner? Thanks 

Good question

To get the banner:

For PC Firefox users ...

Right click on the banner.  Select Copy Image Location.  You can then paste the banner.

PC, MS Edge

Right click Banner, and open in new tab (or window).  You can copy the address from the address bar (at the top), and paste it ... wherever.

PC, Internet Explorer

Right click banner, and copy shortcut.  You can then paste the banner.

Edited by Robert Stuart
Added info for some different browser types
  • Thanks 1

Can’t get that to work, I’ve only ever been able to do the one I have just now as I noticed the link posted somewhere

Would have like the d-day as it’s up soon 

I’m on a iPad