D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No sadly no kit to give. However i have an abundance of free time. That and i am willing to help research your subject matter. 

Hi Dennis,

You are overly kind - Thank you !! I think I'm safe (hopefully) with the Dragon kit but will definitely seek assistance if things change :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

I'm torn between one of the two nemesis of the German forces, a Hawker Typhoon or a Sherman Firefly.  I have Typhoons covered off kit wise but the Firefly does appeal, who makes a good and reasonably priced Firefly Vc in either 1/72nd or 1/48th?

3 hours ago, Wez said:

I'm torn between one of the two nemesis of the German forces, a Hawker Typhoon or a Sherman Firefly.  I have Typhoons covered off kit wise but the Firefly does appeal, who makes a good and reasonably priced Firefly Vc in either 1/72nd or 1/48th?

Aye up Wez,

Tamiya do a very nice 1/48th Firefly Ic which can be had for around the 20 to 25 quid mark. Plastic Soldier Company do Vc Firefly's in 1/72nd which are not too pricey. 2 per box I think and are intended for war gaming so detail is a bit basic. Nice models can result with a bit of work though.

Regards

Steve

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Wez,

Tamiya do a very nice 1/48th Firefly Ic which can be had for around the 20 to 25 quid mark. Plastic Soldier Company do Vc Firefly's in 1/72nd which are not too pricey. 2 per box I think and are intended for war gaming so detail is a bit basic. Nice models can result with a bit of work though.

Regards

Steve

You actually get 3 kits in the PSC Firefly @ 1/72.  I built one as my 'very first tank' - if you enjoy 'improving kits' they make a great starting point, but Steve says - a bit of work' on them pays dividends.  I still have 2 left and intend to return to them as my 'skills' improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Wez,

Regards

Steve

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

You actually get 3 kits in the PSC Firefly @ 1/72.  I built one as my 'very first tank' - if you enjoy 'improving kits' they make a great starting point, but Steve says - a bit of work' on them pays dividends.  I still have 2 left and intend to return to them as my 'skills' improve.

Thanks for the tips chaps, I'll keep my eye out for them.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 9:04 PM, BIG X said:

That's right - 2 batteries - however many that is :blush:

I've been looking for alternative identities for the Tamiya "Achilles". The decals in the kit a well known KO'd vehicle that was destroyed in an encounter with a Pz4rp7n4oa.jpg

And subsequently photographed by both German and Allied photographers as the battle moved around the destroyed duo.

Despite me trying various entries into Google, I'm struggling to find anything. Even just a name and number would do as I suspect that the configuration of these vehicles didn't vary as much as (for example) a Sherman so no great pitfalls?

Anyone got any pointers?

30 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Despite me trying various entries into Google, I'm struggling to find anything. Even just a name and number would do as I suspect that the configuration of these vehicles didn't vary as much as (for example) a Sherman so no great pitfalls?

I did the 1/48 Tamiya for the M4 group build in January. I have some in action shots, and interior photo’s if i can help i will ? 

Dennis

Posted this link on Rumblestripe's stand alone thread about his question on the Achillies, but it can be used for other Allied armour as well:

Chelsea and other known Achillies (M10. 17) can be found on this pdf file.  Once you load the page, use your browser 'word find' function to weed out the listed M10. 17

http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/tables/Vehicle_Names_V4.pdf

regards,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Despite being in too many GBs already, I'm very tempted to join with a Contrail General Aircraft Hamilcar glider, vacform + stripes, what's not to like ?

cheers Pat

Go on Pat,

A vacform glider would be a great build

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

You are very welcome Greg, any idea what you'll build?

I have an Italieri 1/48 Typhoon with D Day markings, which is a strong possibility. I will have a dig through the stash and see what else there is. 

cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

A Typhoon sounds fine Greg, is that a re-pop of the Hasegawa kit?

You're in Rafwaffe

Yes it is the Hase mould. All the markings on the kit are for D Day machines so it was an obvious choice.

Cheers Greg 😁

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 7:15 PM, Robert Stuart said:

{edit 30 Oct 2018}

Build dates

D Day                                          Thu, 6 Jun 2019                       Sun, 29 Sep 2019

{/edit}

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but 2019 will be the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the Normandy landings.

{edit}

Note  23 Feb 2018:

The period covered by this GB is open to discussion

The period covered: 5th June - 30th August

Operation Overlord (6th June - 30th August),

plus Airbourne Operations (Operation Tonga?) between 5th and 7th June https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tonga

{/edit}

What do you think guys?

Interested Modellers:

1. Robert Stuart - host
  2. Sabre_days
  3. zebra
  4. TempestMk5
  5. PlaStix
  6. SimonT
  7. Corsairfoxuncle
  8. MarkSH
  9. Arniec
  10. Shatters
  11. Beard
  12. bootneck
  13. SleeperService
  14. CliffB
  15. fatfingers
  16. spaddad
  17. Grey Beema
  18. Ozzy
  19. JackG
  20. Ted
  21. Valkyrie
  22. Basilisk
  23. modelling minion
  24. Hewy
  25. Big X
  26. Wez
  27. RJ-WobblyHands
  28. DaveyGair
  29. trickyrich - co-host
  30. Erwin
  31. jrix
  32. uncletommy
  33. wimbledon99
  34. Jockney
  35. Greg Destec
  36. Rafwaffe

I am a Late Comer o the Thread. I am doing a display at the local Library Along with others from Three Rivers IPMS in Pittsburgh. I am currently working on a Airfix B-26 and have finished the models below:

Io4IZZb.jpg?1

and 

uq6sPYF.jpg

As there are 7 pages on postings it may take me awhile to catch up.

I will be looking around a show in Richmond for a Waco Glider this weekend.(Wings were made at Heinz in Pittsburgh during WWII)

Cheers

Bill

• Like 3

Hello Will, your models look beautiful.

When it happens, I hope the library's visitors appreciate the Three Rivers Club's D-Day exhibition.

I took a look at the Three Rivers IPMS site -hope that's right?  Didn't see many models, but lots of information about the club's forthcoming competition, and support for visitors.

You would be very welcome to join our build, which starts on June 6th.  Models should be unstarted - or no more than 25% complete.

Take a look at some of our other group builds, for example our current builds

17 minutes ago, Wdedig said:

I will save something for starting on June 6

Thank-you Bill

(sorry, I wrote Will before)

17 minutes ago, Wdedig said:

is it permissible to post ongoing D-Day builds up to May?

One (or, at a stretch, two) a month would be helpful - it'll keep this thread fresh and remind people that this build is coming up.

Cheers

Robert

• Like 1