D-Day: 75th Anniversary of Normandy Landings chat

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:52, Andrés S. said:

Of course, I'll leave it standing until the Group  Build starts.
Thank you so much for everything Robert Stuart.
Cheers.

That is lovely work - I'm looking forward to see how this progresses - Good Luck with the rest of the build - Steve

• Like 2

Rules difference

The Tiger Tank STGB starts on 18th May, a few weeks before the D-Day group build... and Tiger tanks formed a significant part of the German defence.

@Ozzy and I have had a chat and decided that

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

If your D-Day build includes a Tiger it can be built [in the Tiger STGB] it will be under the 25% started for the D-Day GB, your Tiger can then be added to any D-Day diorama. e.g. Tiger v Sherman Firefly or Typhoon v Tiger or a mixed Tiger, Panther unit. Hopefully you get the idea, only your Tiger build will go in [Tiger STGB] gallery.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the chat thread or PM one of hosting team and we'll do our best to get you sorted.

Posted here:

The idea is to encorage people to take part in both builds, without too much pressure (or too much cross posting).

Of course, if you want to build a Tiger tank as an exclusivly D-Day build - that's fine with me

• Like 1

I have been patiently waiting for the green light on this one. Hope there is no fog, bad weather or someone going to their wife’s birthday party instead...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I have been patiently waiting for the green light on this one. Hope there is no fog, bad weather or someone going to their wife’s birthday party instead...

:)

Hope not.  I gather we only have a waxing cresent moon (geting brighter, https://moonphases.co.uk/ ), but even lack of a full moon shouldn't stop us ...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, Valkyrie said:

Does my wedding anniversary count?

It's actually on the 5th ( but then so was D-Day meant to be ) but I've got a "pass out" to go to the Daks over Duxford D-Day event so I might need to spend the 6th away from the modelling bench and TV watching The Longest Day and Saving Private Ryan.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Does my wedding anniversary count?

It's actually on the 5th ( but then so was D-Day meant to be ) but I've got a "pass out" to go to the Daks over Duxford D-Day event so I might need to spend the 6th away from the modelling bench and TV watching The Longest Day and Saving Private Ryan.

Well if you are getting a pass to see the Daks I guess you can’t complain, research too. I think there are some of these coming into Prestwick next Saturday as a staging point from US etc so will likely be flying overhead. I hope they will be D-Day’d liveried up, do you know at all Craig?

Longest Day already watched as well as all portions of documentaries re D-Day. Saving Private Ryan for the 5th June, whisky, snacks, few beers and if not sozzled make a start on entry 1.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I hope they will be D-Day’d liveried up, do you know at all Craig?

Sorry mate no I don't, it would be good if they were.

I think a fair proportion of airworthy Daks around the world are painted in D-Day livery, especially in the US, so hopefully there will be a good number marked up for it. Mind you I'm happy just to be seeing around 30 of them at the same time, hopefully see a large formation too.

• Like 1

@Valkyrie, are you aware there is a Daks over Prestwick event on the 24th and 25th?

Apparently there will be around 12 of them there, the first has already arrived at Duxford fro the States;

http://warbirdsnews.com/airshow-news/d-day-squadron-update-clipper-tabitha-may-arrives-duxford-others-depart-goose-bay.html

Also answers the colour question.

• Thanks 1

Good morning

I guess this info will be interesting  https://www.daksovernormandy.com/aircraft/

I really hope that the weather conditions will be good in the first days on june because several parachute drops are scheduled in the Caen area 

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/normandy/commemorations/2019/agenda

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Discussing commemoration sites with a friend this morning, she mentioned the Normandy Memorial Trust https://www.normandymemorialtrust.org/

Leading up to the D-Day anniversary, they are publishing 75 stories covering events around D-Day; one story per day.  Picking one story at random - The crew of Lancaster ND467 was made up of aircrew from New Zealand, Australia, Canada and America.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

@Valkyrie, are you aware there is a Daks over Prestwick event on the 24th and 25th?

Apparently there will be around 12 of them there, the first has already arrived at Duxford fro the States;

http://warbirdsnews.com/airshow-news/d-day-squadron-update-clipper-tabitha-may-arrives-duxford-others-depart-goose-bay.html

Also answers the colour question.

Goodness there are already here. I might see if SWMBO would enjoy a nice summer evening drive tonight after her steak bbq dinner, though she’d need to drive after I had an ale in this glorious sunshine after cutting the grass, so I don’t have to do it during the blitz build this weekend. You can get really close to ac at Prestwick so if I can try tonight il head out there. Defo be there for 24/25th the Craig thanks for the heads up 

• Like 3

Keeping D-Day Fresh/Current Here is a photo of the Local Library Display with Models built by my club ,Three Rivers IPMS, Pittsburgh. Aircraft are all my builds. Display will be available from 15 May through 15 June 2019.spacer.png

Cheers

Bill D.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In keeping with tradition I have a pile of suitable candidates cluttering up the stash so I went and bought something else just because it fit my  theme straight from the box. I really don't think I'm doing GBs right, but I'm having too much fun to care :D

Andy

Nearly there

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

In keeping with tradition I have a pile of suitable candidates cluttering up the stash so I went and bought something else just because it fit my  theme straight from the box. I really don't think I'm doing GBs right, but I'm having too much fun to care :D

Andy

Nearly there

No that’s right. Build one buy 5.. as someone once said. What did you get?

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1

Just now, Valkyrie said:

No that’s right. Build one buy 5.. as someone was said. What did you get?

I'd like to keep it under wraps as long as possible, but per my initial post, it's Tamiya, 1/48 and Polish which narrows it down a lot. Even better, it wasn't officially on strength, but a few found their way into service anyway. I think it must have been something  like "It parked, we painted badge, is ours now", as you do.

Andy

• Like 2

Man alive it would have been better had you not responded as now my nose is really bothering me aaaarrgghhh 

I can’t think what it can beeeeee

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Man alive it would have been better had you not responded as now my nose is really bothering me aaaarrgghhh 

I can’t think what it can beeeeee

It's one of these, although you'd never know from the the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humber_Armoured_Car

Never officially issued, but a few snuck into the infantry brigade HQ of 1st Polish Armoured Division where they were used in non-combat roles. Or so my reading and Tamiya's markings would have us believe. I'm convinced.

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Sounds pretty standard for a GB to me  ...

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

I'd like to keep it under wraps as long as possible, but per my initial post, it's Tamiya, 1/48 and Polish which narrows it down a lot.

At this stage I was thinking along conventional lines - Spitfire?

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

It's one of these, although you'd never know from the the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humber_Armoured_Car

Ok, not a Spitfire then ...

I like your choice Andy, and look forward to your build

Just come back from a week in Normandy, took my dad to visit the various beaches , museums etc , it opened my eyes soo many interesting subjects that can be built that I had not even thought of everything from USS Nevada to  dummy paratroopers via  German'rebadged' French Hotchkiss H39 Infantry Tanks ,  but  I will still be building something with wings , engines and was based in Essex therefore the MPM 1/72 D-Day Havoc kit in my stash fits the bill nicely 

• Like 2