Boeing B-52D Stratofortress - 1/48 Sanger

Hi folks,

I've found a new job 300 miles south of my place.

I'm trying to sell the house , and I have packed everything even remotely related to modelling.

As I hope to move this summer, I'm afraid there won't be any update before a month or six, sorry.

And I think I'm going to redo quite a lot of things I'm not satisfied with (ie 92,7% of it).

Thanks for your support, sorry to let you down...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hello Sebastien !

Nice place... Best wines of France !!

Best wishes in your new job !!

Enjoy, and we are waiting for "The BUFF is back... And he's angry" movie !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

As I said, all my stuff is stored away from the house (anyway, I'll bin about everything I've done except maybe the center spar structure).

But the computer isn't.

So I went back at the wheels, and I'm rather satisfied with what I did (if you see problems, tell me before I send the models to a printer!)

The outer side:

spacer.png

And the inner side:

spacer.png

Now I'm going to tackle the outrigger wheels, then I'll do the cockpit.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

And the outrigger wheels.

The only info I had on hand being the overall diameter, I can't guarantee accuracy (but it looks good, so...).

spacer.png

spacer.png

And now, the instrument panel and its quingigillion of dials...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

Hi Sebastien - good to see you still plugging away. 

The wheels look great - from the images the main wheels look a little thin in terms of tyre width, but I’m not clued up on CAD drawings so feel free to ignore. 

How are you planning on getting them done? Will you be producing resin copies? I know someone who may be interested :whistle:

Edited by tomprobert

11 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Hi Sebastien - good to see you still plugging away. 

The wheels look great - from the images the main wheels look a little thin in terms of tyre width, but I’m not clued up on CAD drawings so feel free to ignore. 

How are you planning on getting them done? Will you be producing resin copies? I know someone who may be interested :whistle:

Hi Tom,

I know the wheel halves look thin, but if I correctly read the document there: http://www.triplanebuilder.com/uploads/specs/Compendium_of_A.C._Tire_Applications__1_.pdf, the wheels are supposed to be 16 inches thick.

I still can correct this, so...

I'll have the wheels printed, assembled and then cast in resin. You'll have your set, of course.

What is the CAD software you are using?

David, I use FreeCAD (and its quite an embuggerance, or maybe the problem sits between the chair and the keyboard).

To be continued...

S.

3 minutes ago, Sebastien said:

Hi Tom,

I know the wheel halves look thin, but if I correctly read the document there: http://www.triplanebuilder.com/uploads/specs/Compendium_of_A.C._Tire_Applications__1_.pdf, the wheels are supposed to be 16 inches thick.

I still can correct this, so...

I'll have the wheels printed, assembled and then cast in resin. You'll have your set, of course.

The fact I know absolutely nothing about CAD and 3D printing means you shouldn’t pay too much attention to what I say, but they just looked a little slim. It could also be the angle of the image that exacerbates this of course. 

If you're able to do me a set I’d be forever in your debt... 

No problem!

Don't forget I made wheel halves (so far, I have been quite dissatisfied with the results I got from printing whole wheels).

Cheers,

S.

1 minute ago, Sebastien said:

No problem!

Don't forget I made wheel halves (so far, I have been quite dissatisfied with the results I got from printing whole wheels).

Cheers,

S.

Oh I see! That makes sense then! I didn’t realise you’d modelled them in two halves - apologies. 

I’m currently bogged down with scribing my version as the panel lines are rough in places and many need filling and redoing in the correct position. In hindsight, I should have done this before I added the wings as handling it is proving to be a nightmare. My advice to you would be to do any surface work before you get the wings on! 

I can’t wait to see you get back to yours... it’s lonely doing mine all alone :(

I still intend to have the wings removable, so...

And don't mention it.

I have found a house with a 20 sq meters room just for me and the models.

Can't wait for September...

S.

• Like 1

I've started the instrument panel.

I printed the B-52D flight manual relevant pages and with a ruler, pencil, and some very elementary math, so far I'm there:

spacer.png

This is gonna be long.

Very.

Cheers,

S.

Good job on the  CAD work so far. I've been playing with doing a photo etch version even though once buttoned up you can't see it. I remember a old build that Darius Albara did of his B-47 using  the wheels from a 1/48 Scale Bearcat for the outriggers. I have to check the dimensions on the wheels but they are very similar in look. I thought about using them.

• Thanks 1

The instrument panel is a bit of a chore, TBH.

But I'm making (excruciatingly slow) progress.

Not my fault, though: Amazon Prime's Good Omens was released on Friday, and...

Anyway:

spacer.png

Cheers,

S.

I'm following progress on these 1/48 BUFF builds whilst looking nervously at my own two kits from Sangar.

I would also be very interested in resin wheels and/or cockpit details..........

Good luck !

Keith, UK

3 hours ago, Keith T said:

I'm following progress on these 1/48 BUFF builds whilst looking nervously at my own two kits from Sangar.

I would also be very interested in resin wheels and/or cockpit details..........

Good luck !

Keith, UK

You bought two BUFFs too?

I'm glad insanity is catching!

Well, I might buy two more, you know (F&G).

I can send the 3D models for the wheels and you can have them printed if you like.

I'm working on the D instrument panel, the H panel is a bit different.

I'll try and do the central console next.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1