Boeing B-52D Stratofortress - 1/48 Sanger

Well, it's 1/48 B-52 season...

I'll try and finish this one (then I'll finish my Shackleton, and my Stratojet).

The H version will wait, I'll start with my D.

My inspiration is of course Tom Probert's build (which will be a masterpiece, as always). And a Japanese build of ID Model's BUFF: http://fg786.blog87.fc2.com/category178-63.html

Check it, it redefines awesomeness. And while you're at it, check the 1/48 XB-70. And weep.

So, back to my Stratofortress.

My new friends are there:

b-52d019.JPG

I'll start with building bulkheads. The fuselage halves aren't quite symmetrical, so I'll build halves that I'll glue later on.

How?

First, I copy the fuselage interior shape:

b-52d010.JPG

Then I draw the contour on cardboard. That way, I'll be able to reuse the bits on my next B-52('s ?go figure).

b-52d011.JPG

The cardboard bit is cut and adjusted to the fuselage quarter (yes, I know).

b-52d013.JPG

The cardboard is copied on plastic card, which is cut and finely tuned with a heavy duty file.

b-52d015.JPG

A bit bored with the blukheads, I assembled a fuselage half. I've seen cleaner assemblies...

b-52d016.JPG

b-52d017.JPG

No doubt Milliput will help.

I discovered something quite annoying for those who want to build their BUFF with the gear out.

Gear doors are staggered, and end or start with a rectangle. The rectangle s the place where the gear leg will protrude from the fuselage.

The rectangles have to be exactly symmetrical (lengthwise) for the gear legs to be aligned.

Well, guess again...

b-52d018.JPG

Feces happen, but fixing that will be entertaining.

Instead of sulking, I decided to proceed with the cockpit floor. Two halves, a plastic strip to stregthen the assembly, all this glued to the first bulkhead:

b-52d022.JPG

Fitted to the right front fuselage quarter:

b-52d024.JPG

b-52d025.JPG

The B-52 flight manual will be invaluable (and for 10 bucks, it's a bargain). Here is a page of said manual with the front structure assembly:

b-52d026.JPG

And the front structure assembly fitted to the fuselage:

b-52d029.JPG

More fun to come, swear words to be said, plastic bits to be stomped again and again.

I'm glad I bought a dozen 20"x24" 1mm plastic sheets.

To be continued. I promise.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 13

So Gerald managed to sell one to someone else then? :D

I'm really pleased you've started this - we can hold each other's hand through the trials and tribulations ahead...

I think the nose shape is off for the early versions at the radar - the cockpit windows and upper radar dome nose profile should be more or less in a straight line (you can see this in the plans on your manual) but the kit has the more pointed nose for the G/H versions... this may be somewhat remedied with the fitting of the clear parts. If so, it means I've got a lot of work ahead re-profiling the nose for the H version... I'll be interested to see what happens as you progress.

I'm still plugging away with the engines on mine - I'll update my thread at some point soon but progress has been slow due to the numerous difficulties I've encountered so far. I'm glad you started with the fuselage as I can see any pitfalls you find, and hopefully I can return the favour by starting with the wings and engines first - although your engines will be different to my version of course.

Are you going to open up the bomb bay? I think I'm going to try on mine but may change my mind when I get that far!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

So Gerald managed to sell one to someone else then? :D

I'm really pleased you've started this - we can hold each other's hand through the trials and tribulations ahead...

I think the nose shape is off for the early versions at the radar - the cockpit windows and upper radar dome nose profile should be more or less in a straight line (you can see this in the plans on your manual) but the kit has the more pointed nose for the G/H versions... this may be somewhat remedied with the fitting of the clear parts. If so, it means I've got a lot of work ahead re-profiling the nose for the H version... I'll be interested to see what happens as you progress.

I'm still plugging away with the engines on mine - I'll update my thread at some point soon but progress has been slow due to the numerous difficulties I've encountered so far. I'm glad you started with the fuselage as I can see any pitfalls you find, and hopefully I can return the favour by starting with the wings and engines first - although your engines will be different to my version of course.

Are you going to open up the bomb bay? I think I'm going to try on mine but may change my mind when I get that far!

All the best,

Tom

I'll check the nose shape.

I'm interested in what you do with the engines, I have a H version waiting on a shelf...

I think I'll open the bomb bay but I might have an attack of sanity, so...

I intend to have removable wings (a bit like the Japanese gentleman did on the link I provided). This should be entertaining too...

Thanks,

Sebastien

2 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

You are clearly insane.....!!

I can't wait to see this one develop - I salute your dedication.

Phil

You say such nice things...

Thanks, I just hope the dedication will stay.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

Well, back in saddle again.

The inner structure goes now back to the front wheel well. The wheel throughs have been removed (more about that later):

b-52d033.JPG

The bulkhead seen from the wheel throughs (I know about the print, a red haired gentlman from Miami has been very keen to interview me aboutit):

b-52d031.JPG

b-52d032.JPG

The front fuselage:

b-52d030.JPG

And now the irksome part:

b-52d034.JPG

The starboard wheel through is too far back by about 0.4 inch. I'll have move the striped part outwards to have a smooth skin, outside as well as inside (smart solution just given to me on a French forum).

I'm irked.

To be continued,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
Somebody had a brainwave for me.
  • Like 5

The second fuselage half has been assembled today.

It went (a wee bit) better than the first.

b-52d035.JPG

I moved the wheel throughs forward by 0.4 inch, but it was a dirty job (I'll clean it later on).

Rear wheel through:

b-52d036.JPG

Front:

b-52d037.JPG

I know, it's ugly.

Now, I'm thinking about the wings. I'd like to be able to remove them (like Darius Aibara did on his fabulous 1/48 C-133).

My inspiration is the Japanese modeler who built ID Models NB-52:

SANY0011_convert_20150428214615.jpg

1 sq cm wood bits going through the fuselage from one wing to the other.

My plan is to make 11mmx22mm plastic card tunnels that will go through the fuselage.

The penciled areas are where the four tunnels are supposed to go:

b-52d038.JPG

If anybody here has a better idea, please tell me before I do aything stupid (anything stupider than starting this kit, I mean).

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The rear bulkhead of the front wheel well is glued to the front well ceiling and goes with the front structure:

b-52d039.JPG

The first spar tunnel just put on the right fuselage half:

b-52d040.JPG

The same, now in place through the left fuselage half:

b-52d041.JPG

Same, seen from the outside of the fuselage:

b-52d042.JPG

The four spar tunnels will be joined by two 2mm plastic plates and will be glued to a structure above the bomb bay ceiling.

If you have a better idea, I'm afraid it's a bit late.

To be continued,

S.

• Like 6

I'm blushing.

But the really inspiring people are well known around here: Tom Probert and Darius Aibara (I can't even begin to thank them enough).

And don't forget this Japanese gentleman whose name I can't find (if there's a Japanese reading modeler around here, I'd love to be told that name).

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

It's so good to be on vacation...

My spar tunnels are ready:

b-52d043.JPG

The part is quite strong. I can stand on it, the whole 230 lbs of me.

I need to lose weight, but this is neither the topic nor the right forum.

The spar tunnels in place, with the inner front structure:

b-52d044.JPG

b-52d045.JPG

As seen from the outside of the fuselage:

b-52d046.JPG

The tunnels will be cut level with the fuselage.

Back to heavy duty modelling!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Loving this spar idea... am taking notes ready for when I get to mine. All the internal bracing going in looks impressive too, but I suppose it needs to be for something this big!

Tom

• Thanks 1

Sebastien, great idea on the SPAR!

I too have the Sanger kit and am now following both you and Tom's builds on this.  The question I have for you on your SPAR Box is, due you intend to build your BUFF flaps up or down?

I agree with most of the observations on the kit so far that areas are not quite where they should be in position, especially for the G/H Model Nose.  I am really scratching my head on trying to figure a way to correct it myself to make the later variant H.

But I am going to continue following both of your builds with enthusiasm to see how you overcome your obstacles.

Cheers,

Michael :D

• Thanks 1

Hi Michael,

I do intend to build my BUFF with the flaps down. I don't think the box will interfere, as the protruding bits will stop at the fuselage. I'll make spars in the wings that will go through the tunnels in the fuselage..

But that's quite another story?

So far, I've added a 7 inch long and 2 mm thick ceiling for the bomb bay, and the bulkhead between the bomb bay and the aft wheel well.

b-52d047.JPG

I'v made parts the spar box will be glued to:

b-52d048.JPG

Inside the fuselage, you can see the box resting on the part above the wheel bay:

b-52d049.JPG

And the fuselage is closed and the assembly is remarkably clean(ish):

b-52d050.JPG

Now, a pause to rid my work bench of all the dust and plastic cards scraps and bits.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

That spar idea is one that is definitely growing on me... I'm always worried about having a too-visible join when the wings are removable (especially with vacs) so I'm interested to see the results.

Tom

41 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

That spar idea is one that is definitely growing on me... I'm always worried about having a too-visible join when the wings are removable (especially with vacs) so I'm interested to see the results.

Tom

Oh, I'm worried sick about that too.

If the friction between the spars and the tunnels is enough, I think (hope) the parts won't sag once inserted.

So if I succeed in making a good mating surface, Bob should be my uncle.

Or something like that...

• Like 1

Now I have a wheel well question.

The Japanese gentleman whose name I still don't know scaled up Monogram's 1/72 BUFF parts for the whell bay ceilings.

There are hexagonal holes in the ceiling that are supposed to allow the wheels to be stowed in flight:

SANY0010_convert_20150513205246.jpg

I've looked up what I could find about the B-52 wheel bays. I can see a whole lotta mess in the front bay, but no hexagon hollowed out of the ceiling, and the wheel stowage areas look much smaller than what Monogram dir.

The question is: do I need to get my labrador replaced, or did the guys at Monogram have a smoke of something entertaining but illegal in most states?

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do you have Danny Coremans Uncovering the B-52H Book?  It has some really great reference photographs that will be generally good for the wheel wells and such.  I know you're doing a earlier version but this book will give you a lot of detail information in color that most books won't.  I know for both Tom and myself it's going to be the best for what we need.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

P.S.  Great work so far!:D

• Thanks 1

Stunningly ambitious project!

I love the NB-52A in the Japanese gentleman's blog.  I have a huge admiration for you Vac-Form chaps, I struggle with plastic! lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The front structure (from the nose to the rear wheel well front bulkhead), and the rear fuselage sutructure (from the rear well rear bulkhead to the spar box for the fin and the tailplanes):

b-52d051.JPG

It's messy downstairs, I know...

The rear structure in the rear fuselage:

b-52d052.JPG

Top: the junction between front and rear structures. The part will have two 2mm plastic card beams glued to ensure it' strong enough.

Bottom: what will become the ceiling of the rear wjheel well, once I've done cruel and unusual things to it.

b-52d054.JPG

The internal structure complete (-ish):

b-52d056.JPG

In the left fuselage half:

b-52d055.JPG

I'm almost done with the easy part (a couple bulkheads, some strengthening where the landing gears will go left).

Then, I'll have to deal with what frighten me most: cockpit, wheel wells, bomb bay and landing gear.

To be continued.

S.

• Like 9