MD.450 Ouragan - Heller 1:72 - (2013 release, 1980 mold)

Already having the some of the "Dassault" family.. namely the Mystere IVA, Super Mystere and Super Etendard, I thought it would be great to continue the "Dassault family" by adding on the older brother.. the Ouragan.
I bought this kit because it is the only kit with decent  "Patrouille De France" markings!
This 2013 release is a reboxing of the 1980's kit. Same mold. different box & markings. Same artwork.

IMGP0067c

Raised panel lines :poop:

IMGP0072

Thick clear parts :poop:

IMGP0073

Glossy but thick decals. Decals are blurry on the edges (out of register)

IMGP0071

Out of register roundel. red circle outside blue circle.

IMGP0070

Four Decals options. PaDF, FAF, Indian, Israeli.

IMGP0074c

This will be the decal option for me. Bought it just for this!

IMGP0075

Ironically.. i already have this kit, just made in 1980's, but i don't care for any of the two markings. PaDF markings are crap and minimal. Also decals are yellow.

IMGP0077c

IMGP0078

Comparing the 2 kits. 20 years in between. just different coloured plastic.

IMGP0079

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 4

Prior to construction the parts were all re-scribed! This is my third attempt at re-scribing. scribing before construction was something i tried for the first time. I must say its almost impossbile to scribe a straight line on a fuselage, nose or tail!!

IMGP0080

Jet pipe, cockpit and intake installed.

IMGP0081

Ladies and gentlemen we have what looks like... an Ouragan!
I must say a very bad fitting kit! it will need a lot of sanding, filler and 'shaping' :poop:

IMGP0082

IMGP0084

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Adrian

If yo notice closely on the Israeli AF decals you have the right sharkmouth only in the latest issue, as the one on early issues the mouth and the tongle have colors inverted

Best day

Armando

• Like 1

The re-scribe has already vastly improved the look of the kit and with the chosen colour scheme it should look fantastic.

Martian

On 3/10/2018 at 5:47 PM, RAGATIGER said:

Hi there Adrian

If yo notice closely on the Israeli AF decals you have the right sharkmouth only in the latest issue, as the one on early issues the mouth and the tongle have colors inverted

Best day

Armando

haha yes i realized something was seriously wrong when comparing both 1980 and 2013 decals!
They even got it wrong on the box artwork. they put the tongue at the top and top part of the mouth at the bottom!

On 11/03/2018 at 2:19 PM, Martian Hale said:

The re-scribe has already vastly improved the look of the kit and with the chosen colour scheme it should look fantastic.

Martian

Im not too happy with th panel lines. They are too thick and the ones on the fuselage look like swiss cheese! anything but straight or square. The wings on the other hand.. came straight.

Panel lines are a bit too thick. i used the Trumpeter scriber. Wing p.lines came out the best!

IMGP0086

The fuselage panel lines are horrible and look like swiss cheese! Many came out slanting and wobbly. Scriber has a tendancy to "wander off"

IMGP0087

Primed up using Revell acrylics

IMGP0089

IMGP0090

Blue parts were painted with Revell acrylics French Blue.

IMGP0094

z

Not at all happy with the results! :rain::swear::poop:
The Alclad "polished aluminum" came out very 'dotty', very grainy and patchy (dark and light patches). Almost like normal aluminum paint. This is my third NMF model and ive never had this problem. Also airbrushing pattern-lines show up. The black primer was quite smooth and i also gave it a soft sanding session before.
Also the panel lines are way too thick! and all my seam lines and 'mistakes' (sciribing) which i covered up with filler/liquid filler.. then sanded.. showed up like a sore thumb!! :blahblahblah:
On the other hand.. the blue paint was the most positive part! Sprayed on and layered on like a dream. i  LOVE :wub: revell acrylics!

IMGP0107

Panel shading on airbrakes and gun area was utterly random.

IMGP0108

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Canopy masked and sprayed. Unfortunately some black primer seeped under the masking tape. Hopefully some acrylic cleaner will rub it off without damaging the plastic.

IMGP0103

Rudimentary ejection seat. Seatbelts were made with masking tape.

IMGP0106

• Like 1

Heller truly are a disaster! :poop:
Not only is it a bad kit but....Their attention to detail is minimal and it seems the instructions were not proof read before printing.
There were many decal reference numbers on the instruction sheet which were WRONG or mixed up with others. Some decals didnt even have any reference! So i followed other decal options.  to make life worse... on the most complex part of the decalling stage.. they forgot to give reference numbers on the wing tip fuel tanks. Just TWO tanks are made up of EIGHT decals!  :rage:

IMGP0075cc

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The NMF doesn't look too bad from here but if you are unhappy with it, mask off the blue and sand the finish back a bit and re-coat. You will never be happy with your model otherwise and that would be a shame as this build is looking very promising indeed.

Martian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

The NMF doesn't look too bad from here but if you are unhappy with it, mask off the blue and sand the finish back a bit and re-coat. You will never be happy with your model otherwise and that would be a shame as this build is looking very promising indeed.

Martian

Too late! Ive almost completed decalling and it really made the model POP & distracts you from the NMF. Im just stuck with figuring out the fuel tank star decals. But decalling has been going very well and fun.

• Like 1

Decalling has been completed and i must say i did enjoy it. Decals went down really well and with zero silvering. The stars on the fuel tanks were put on based on what looked "right" to the eye.
After decalling the model was washed and a Klear coat was applied to decals, with a brush.
After... the model was given a wash using artists water colours:

IMGP0125

The wash sank nicely into the panel lines.

IMGP0126

• Like 2

Wheels bays painted aluminum.

IMGP0127

Unfortunately... this model was a "tail sitter"! :rage: My only option was to place a few lead pellets into the gear bay. IT WORKED!

IMGP0002

This is the way i do it...

20180330_133826

20180330_134029

20180330_134321

Wheels broke off so to strengthen them i had to drill holes and insert copper wire.

IMGP0004

Hole drilled into wheel bays...and...

IMGP0005

The drill bit came out onto the other side!! :poop::rain::worry::swear::swear:

IMGP0006

• Like 2