1/72 Airfix Phantom

T8247741

I have 2 boxings of the Fujimi RN/RAF Phantoms, one cost £20 and the other £10, so an average of £15 each. Both at shows in the UK and neither were second hand. So no need for the Airfix kits for me. The current cost at HLJ is just over £16 but they are out of stock and that risks the dreaded import fees.

thanks

Mike

31 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

Even if you do happen come across one on ebay (that you win) they are still more pricey than the Airfix new-tool 2018 release. I've never paid under £28 for any of my Fujimi stock!

I've got a few on the shelf, never paid more than £20 for any of them.  

Even brand new on EBay they are around the £25 mark.

I always go for the older release (second wave early '90s) though and have never had fit issues, they really do fall together in my experience.  Decals are poor though, so need tp factor in the cost of decal sheets.

Actually I was hoping that a load of the old Fujimis would emerge from the woodwork, but that doesn't seem to be happening!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

If I'm not careful I'll start to well up over the golden age of Esci next

Now you're talking! They were £2.75 when introduced, build well and look right (and I still have 30+ {unmade} in the loft and decals for them all).

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Actually I was hoping that a load of the old Fujimis would emerge from the woodwork, but that doesn't seem to be happening!

Same here :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

that's my point. When was the last time you actually built one ?  Even if you do happen come across one on ebay (that you win) they are still more pricey than the Airfix new-tool 2018 release. I've never paid under £28 for any of my Fujimi stock!

Funnily enough I'm kind of  in the middle of one, well I was last year as it's now in the shelf queue due to life getting in the way. But  I bought 3 of them second hand from this 'ere forum for less than £15 each in the last year or two. Yeah you're right though, the decals are shambolic, always have been, thank god for Modeldecal. Fit can be ifffy too but then most F4s are, especially around the intake. I've seen some postings of poor fit on the Airfix kit too.

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

Now you're talking! They were £2.75 when introduced, build well and look right (and I still have 30+ {unmade} in the loft and decals for them all).

Don't start me thinking about the 72nd F4, F100, F104, F5, A4. I'll shut up now otherwise I'll be hijacking this thread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

But I did like their Tanky Wheely things.  Decent looking and chunky enough to survive the wargames table.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 4:18 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

But  I bought 3 of them second hand from this 'ere forum for less than £15 each in the last year or two.

I'd certainly get some more at that sort of price...but the cheapest currently on Ebay at 'buy-it-now' is £28.99 going up to £34. The cheapest 'auction'  (FG.1  25th anniversary) is £12.99 with 3 days left....

..and I've just now pushed up it to £21..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

The cheapest 'auction'  (FG.1  25th anniversary) is £12.99 with 3 days left....

That will more than likely go for much more as it is a 'Royal Collection' limited edition which came with PE fret and white metal bits.

Just for info, boxes H-06 to H-09 had less features than boxes H-17 to H-20 which had separate ailerons, airbrakes, aux air doors with detailed orifice and jacks, and there were other minor improvements. 

I've never seen the latest issue 'British Phantom II Silver Jubilee' boxing, but believe that is based on the improved molds

Fujimi are not without issues - leaving aside the lower fuselage outline, I got an FGR2 kit a few years ago (2004 Alcock and Browne issue) that had the FG1 weapons sprue (for the AAMs) instead of the one originally included with the FGR2 - of course that sprue also has the double extending nose leg!

• Like 1

Eduard are releasing enhanced detail/correction sets in March and April. I don't know any further details as to what's addressed, but I do know that I'm a little peeved about the omissions in the kit, and that extra money needs to be spent to bring it up to the same level of detail as kits from 25+ years ago. I find it baffling.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

... I'm a little peeved about the omissions in the kit, and that extra money needs to be spent to bring it up to the same level of detail as kits from 25+ years ago. I find it baffling.

I agree entirely. I'm curious to see what aftermarket enhancements will be released for the Airfix kit - the list of candidates is annoyingly long - but I also resent paying more for what was well within Airfix's ability to provide in the box.

• Like 2

I think there is a grey area between an omission and enhancement. And to be fair, Eduard do seem to issue multiple photo etch and resin detail sets for just about every new kit on the market, irrespective of whether they are really needed or not. It is not necessarily a guide or indication of deficiencies in the base kit, mainly these are required as percieved "enhancements". A few years ago I purchased the Wolfpack Design resin "Flaps Down" set for the Fujimi Phantom F-4K. I didn't percieve that as an omission from the base kit but an enhancement I needed - this is of course something that is now included in the Airfix kit as standard.

Eduard announced sets

Eduard Undercarriage set

Are detailed airbrake door interior linings an omission or not... hey I've bought them anyway!:shrug:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, RichG said:

I think there is a grey area between an omission and enhancement. And to be fair, Eduard do seem to issue multiple photo etch and resin detail sets for just about every new kit on the market, irrespective of whether they are really needed or not. It is not necessarily a guide or indication of deficiencies in the base kit, mainly these are required as percieved "enhancements". 

I think that is emphasised by Eduard releasing upgrade sets for their own range of kits.  PE is fair enough, a bit necky to release replacement main wheels for their own models though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichG said:

I think there is a grey area between an omission and enhancement....

Rich

You're right, Rich. In my comment above I really meant 'aftermarket replacements' or 'corrections'. I'm still miffed though that what Airfix have provided so capably in other kits (such as undercarriage doors with detail on their inner faces, adequate detail in undercarriage bays, pylons with scribed detail, or even vents etc) are completely lacking in their Phantom.

On 2/25/2018 at 5:06 PM, FalkeEins said:

The cheapest 'auction'  (FG.1  25th anniversary) is £12.99 with 3 days left....

Did you win this? It went for a snip at £22!