"In the year I was born" GB Chat

Now let's see...   ...the Lightning F.3 entered service in 1964, now there's a possibility.

Put me down for one of those, deciding on unit markings could be a bit trickier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

Now let's see...   ...the Lightning F.3 entered service in 1964, now there's a possibility.

Put me down for one of those, deciding on unit markings could be a bit trickier.

Good morning Wez, that's a lovely choice. ... just updated the list.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

@Rabbit Leader,

Dave put me down for a Tyrell P34, the 6 wheeled F1 beast, along with the Hawk. 

Most Excellent choice H - I do recall this F1 beast from my youth when Dad and I would sit up and watch Niki Lauda ply his craft.

She'll be a great tribute to '76.

11 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What a great idea.....Put me down for something from 1968, probably in Vietnam.  :coolio:

Glad you like the idea Sgt. I've put you down as #44 (see post #1).

I'm sure Vietnam will be a popular theme as most of us are from this approximate era.  

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm already on board as entrant no. 27, but am now leaning towards a rebel Mil 4 helicopter from the Hungarian uprising (1956).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm already on board as entrant no. 27, but am now leaning towards a rebel Mil 4 helicopter from the Hungarian uprising (1956).

Cheers

Cliff

Sorry for the late reply Cliff, must have missed this amongst all the other GB traffic of late!

A Mil 4 from a historic event that's not often covered (if at all) is certainly in step with this GB's ethos.

It's always great to learn about new theatres of conflict, so I support this build 100%.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be fun : 1968 is the year so choices a plenty  , I can go with a favourite the Avro Shackleton or a Lightning ..... ooh I could build a 'Spad' as a 'Sandy'  (another kit from memory lane) , I am sure I can find something interesting!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 7:45 AM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

This will be fun : 1968 is the year so choices a plenty  , I can go with a favourite the Avro Shackleton or a Lightning ..... ooh I could build a 'Spad' as a 'Sandy'  (another kit from memory lane) , I am sure I can find something interesting!

Many thanks RJ.. I've listed you as #45 and I do like the sound of your possible entry(ies). 

Good on you for stopping by and indicating your interest. Should the GB get up, it'll be lots of fun. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

This could be interesting, the year for me is 1989.  So much choice, I have a few ideas but will make my decision closer to the GB. 

Nice to hear you're keen on joining Blitz... I'll add you to the name list within the OP.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I could go for this depending on when it happens, need to do a bit of research for 1965 and see what's appropriate :) 

All good Redsraff. This GB is still well and truly in the 'maybe' stage so no pressure. I might just pop your name down in the first post, just to keep track of who's interested in contributing (should it all get voted up and allocated a set of dates) of course! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave. 

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, stick me on the list please :) I'm thinking possible Skyraider for the start of the vietnam war at present, but that'll probably change a few times ;) 

Thanks for organizing it 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, wimbledon99 said:

1967 - I'll join if someone points me to the right kit :wink:

Not sure if you're into figures, however putting two and two together what about either the Men's or Women's Wimbledon singles champions of 1967?

Some colourful choices here - either one of Australia's favourite sons (John Newcombe) or the most successful women's player of the modern open era (Billy Jean King).

Should you go and do "Newks", make sure you add a healthy wad of hair on top of that upper lip!

I'll pop you down as a 'possible' in the original post.

Cheers & thanks... Dave   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Not sure if you're into figures, however putting two and two together what about either the Men's or Women's Wimbledon singles champions of 1967?

Some colourful choices here - either one of Australia's favourite sons (John Newcombe) or the most successful women's player of the modern open era (Billy Jean King).

Should you go and do "Newks", make sure you add a healthy wad of hair on top of that upper lip!

I pop you down as a 'possible' in the original post.

Cheers & thanks... Dave   

Thanks Dave. Figures are not my thing (I'm useless at art / painting) but I'm thinking about a Lotus 49 - I've always looked for an excuse to build one!!!!  :smile:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Thanks Dave. Figures are not my thing (I'm useless at art / painting) but I'm thinking about a Lotus 49 - I've always looked for an excuse to build one!!!!  :smile:

That'll complement my 1970 Lotus 72 nicely, should I ever go that way. I've never built a car before, however have always wanted to do the F1 championship winning car from the year that I was born. Now that I think of it, this was probably the main inspiration that drove me to dream up this silly GB idea in the first place. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Ok I've had a look through the stash and I've gone off the idea of the Vietnam Skyraider as I found a Thunderbird 2 kit that I bought on a whim

Thunderbirds was first aired in the UK September '65 so seems a logical step to build this kit, otherwise I probably would never get it out of the stash and build it

It's not a highly detailed kit, but will bring back memories of a childhood favourite programme :) 

Can you change my kit choice on the first page please Dave :) 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Ok I've had a look through the stash and I've gone off the idea of the Vietnam Skyraider as I found a Thunderbird 2 kit that I bought on a whim

Thunderbirds was first aired in the UK September '65 so seems a logical step to build this kit, otherwise I probably would never get it out of the stash and build it

It's not a highly detailed kit, but will bring back memories of a childhood favourite programme :) 

Can you change my kit choice on the first page please Dave :) 

The OP has now been amended with your Thunderbird 2 kit proposal and a 'correction' to your BM user name - apologies. 

I have to say, who doesn't love the Thunderbirds and that big green transporter will be an absolute beauty of a build. Can't wait to see it. 

OK - I'm not one to shout out to canvass addition support, however it would be nice to get at least a couple more members to make the 'potential' modeller list reach 50! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Sign me up. 1963 for me! and its my birthday tomorrow so why not. I will have to do a bit of research. Can the subject be anything connected to the year in question or does it have to be a kit that came out that year?? 

Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1