"In the year I was born" GB Chat

Hi  GREG DESTEC 

As far as I'm aware it's modelling something relevant to that year, not when the model came out, as I'm doing 1965 and that was the year that Thunderbirds was first shown, so I'm doing a Thunderbird 2. You could do something that was first released in that year, or was active in that year, or even an historical event like modelling the great train robbery etc.

That's my take on it and I'm sure Rabbit Leader will confirm or put right what I have said when he sees this :)

Happy birthday for tomorrow by the way :)

Ian

Edited by Redstaff
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@GREG DESTEC  Welcome aboard to this prospective GB. @Redstaff has summed this up beautifully, so I really don’t have anything to add except to make sure you vote it up and have plenty of fun building and researching the events that took place in 1963. 

Oh!! Almost forgot - Happy 55th! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi  GREG DESTEC 

As far as I'm aware it's modelling something relevant to that year, not when the model came out, as I'm doing 1965 and that was the year that Thunderbirds was first shown, so I'm doing a Thunderbird 2. You could do something that was first released in that year, or was active in that year, or even an historical event like modelling the great train robbery etc.

That's my take on it and I'm sure Rabbit Leader will confirm or put right what I have said when he sees this :)

Happy birthday for tomorrow by the way :)

Ian

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@GREG DESTEC  Welcome aboard to this prospective GB. @Redstaff has summed this up beautifully, so I really don’t have anything to add except to make sure you vote it up and have plenty of fun building and researching the events that took place in 1963. 

Oh!! Almost forgot - Happy 55th! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks chaps,

A quick "Google" revealed the the F_4C Phantom II entered service in November 1963, as did the UH_1D Huey. Both of these are of great interest to me and I have a 1/48 Revell/Monogram Phantom II in the stash that would do nicely! Roll on the vote.

Cheers Greg 😀

• Like 2

Roll on the vote alright, a 1/48 Phantom in what I suspect to be Air Superiority Grey (if that’s correct) would be most impressive. When it’s all done and looking the goods you could sit back and say - geez, that things as old as I am? 

I’m sure it should be lots of fun and educational at the same time. I’ll update the OP when I get onto the desktop, but I make you my #49. Ok - who’s what to be #50?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

14 minutes ago, Pin said:

Tu-144, 1973, Paris Air Show 😞 

Do I take this as your interested in joining Pin? Are you my #50? 

A Tu-144 would be most impressive. A sad aviation event, however certainly what this GB is all about. 

Cheers.. Dave 

15 hours ago, rafalbert said:

This sounds like fun! I was born in 1973, I am sure I can find something of interest. Dave

Thanks for the interest rafalbert. You my friend are #50, so bravo to you.

1973 is an interesting year so it'll be great to see what you come up with.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

A quick appraisal of the stash shows an Airfix Bren Gun Carrier with 6 Pounder and an Airfix VC-10 in the stash.  Both new tools in 1964.  I am sure there is more there is if I looko harded.  If you have the space for an additional 1964 please count me in.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 passes 73-27

Donald Campbell sets record for turbine vehicle, 690.91 kph (429.31 mph)

The US launches military attacks against North Vietnam in response to the Gulf of Tonkin incident

World's first lung transplant takes place.

I was born!

• Thanks 1

Well done Natter (#51) and the last point was obviously the most important event of 1964!! Welcome aboard, ‘twas a good year that and I like your subject choice and historical references. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I shoudn't be doing this, what with being on an extended sabbatical from GBs (& modelling in general) but looking at your list in post #1 Dave, I can't see any takers for 1955 yet so better put myself forward in the interests of continuity. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

For once I disagree with you Steve (#52) - this will be the best thing that you could do at the moment, so start hitting those history books and come up with a period subject. Now I didn’t even know that we were missing 1955, so that’s excellent news that this year will now be covered.

Cheers.. Dave

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

For once I disagree with you Steve (#52) - this will be the best thing that you could do at the moment, so start hitting those history books and come up with a period subject. Now I didn’t even know that we were missing 1955, so that’s excellent news that this year will now be covered.

Cheers.. Dave

Whoops - what have I done there.. apologies for double post! 

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, assuming this isn't some cunning scam designed to harvest dates of birth, I will be in with 1959. Seahawk and Fiat G91 are candidates on the easy side, and I've never built a Sunderland either...

Regards,

Adrian

It's no scam Adrian, however if you didn't want us to know exactly old you really are, I think you've just fallen for the oldest trick in the book!! 

Welcome Aboard! it will be a pleasure to have you join us and I'm already liking your named subjects - the Sunderland being a big stand out. Your in at #53. 

Cheers and thanks... Dave 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave

Can you drum up a list of the years accounted for on page one or would this be done in the actual GB topic thread ??

Would be interesting to see the years spanned and the potential kits that could be built.

For me in 58 there was the Airfix Control tower also the release of the basic Lancaster . . . . .

4 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Well, on checking the stash I will do an Alpha Jet for first flight and (time permitting) an Airfix B-26 as the kit was released in 1973.

Dave

Dave.... Done 👍

39 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Dave

Can you drum up a list of the years accounted for on page one or would this be done in the actual GB topic thread ??

Would be interesting to see the years spanned and the potential kits that could be built.

For me in 58 there was the Airfix Control tower also the release of the basic Lancaster . . . . .

Mancunian airman.... let me think about this one for a bit.

So you'd like to see a list of years already accounted for in chronological order? 

That shouldn't be too hard, a little time consuming however nothing too drastic I would think? 

I see what I can do. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

That opens up a whole new avenue, does it not?

I was looking for subjects that related to the year I was born, not kits that were released in that year; or have I missed the point of the build from the off ?? :facepalm:  :laugh:

Actually I think in my original OP, I may have suggested either option, so I’m happy to allow either a subject or model kit first produced in the year that you were born. 

Hope this helps.. Dave

• Like 2