"In the year I was born" GB Chat

Happy 50th @Giorgio N.. I’ll be joining you on that number next year (I hope!). To answer your question quickly, yes. If the chosen ‘subject’ can be linked to 1969 for which the Concord is, then you can build your model in any livery you wish. Now a prototype in 1969 colours would be ideal however it’s not mandatory, so please feel free to join in when you get the chance. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Happy 50th @Giorgio N.. I’ll be joining you on that number next year (I hope!). To answer your question quickly, yes. If the chosen ‘subject’ can be linked to 1969 for which the Concord is, then you can build your model in any livery you wish. Now a prototype in 1969 colours would be ideal however it’s not mandatory, so please feel free to join in when you get the chance. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

Thanks Dave !

Really for 1969 the two biggest things in my mind would be the Moon and Concorde and since I have no kit in the stash I'd have to buy something. Arnie is already nicely covering the Apollo mission so I feel that a Concorde would be a nice addition. I can see the Revell kit easily available, I investigated converting this into a prototype but seems very hard to do...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Séan Pádraig said:

Don't forget 1969 saw of of the greatest car movies of all time... The Italian Job

Sounds like you'd like to join in with a Mini or three Sean? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am pretty sure I joined this GB with either a Mohawk or a Dragonfly...whichever one entered service in 1965...I can’t easily check the threads on my phone...

I did find this within the original (#1) Chat post John - 

56. 1965 - John D.C. Masters (OV-10 Bronco)

Looks like it was the Bronco mate. Just start a build thread whenever you wish to start a WIP. 

Cheers and looking forward to it.. Dave 

• Like 1

I am already mentally beginning my Bronco thread from afar and via my phone...I think I have the an older Hasagawa kit and it has quite a history according to Scalemates including being the newer Revell kit.  Interesting.  There are also some decent off-market upgrades on the Big Yellow Store site.  Bits and bobs and a fair amount of decals.  

My my question is this...the Bronco came into service in ‘65.  May I use decals depicting a later Bronco, i. e. W. German or perhaps Indonesian if I want?  Although there is a nice US Marines bird...👍

• Like 1

Good day!

Being a spritely 47, i see you dont have anything for 1972, so id like to run this one past you for the GB.

2019-09-20_05-10-44

Now this kit version was released in 1973  😫 but my (poor and limited) research shows this as a current scheme, so would have been around in these colours in 1972. I know its quite tenuous but id like to jump in with this.

Bob

• Like 3

@moaning dolphin, your F-27 is fine. Any subject dressed in the clothes it wore in the year you were born is definitely accepted. When you get a chance, please start a WIP so that we can all follow your progress.. Good stuff! 

@John D.C. Masters your Bronco qualifies in the fact that it entered service in 1965. Should you decide to build it in the colours it wore in that year (or any other year thereafter) it’s still meets the criteria. Again, like MD above, when you have the chance get a WIP up and running so we can all look on.

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming my other GB don't get in the way, once the Banshee is finished I am considering building the Xtrakit ex MPM Meteor F8. The first true prototype of this flew in 1948, but the first deliveries to the RAF were made in August 1949 so I assume that will do for qualification Dave? It was first issued to RAF squadrons the following year so presumably was initially sent to trials units.

Pete

• Like 1

Due to the Phantom GB and life in general getting in the way, my Javelin still hasn't been started.

So rather than attempt to rush the model, I'm going to withdraw from this group build and hope another suitable opportunity comes along in the near future.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:56 AM, PeterB said:

Assuming my other GB don't get in the way, once the Banshee is finished I am considering building the Xtrakit ex MPM Meteor F8. The first true prototype of this flew in 1948, but the first deliveries to the RAF were made in August 1949 so I assume that will do for qualification Dave? It was first issued to RAF squadrons the following year so presumably was initially sent to trials units.

Pete

Happy to see the MPM Meteor built on here Pete. I've got this and the SH High Speed record boxed Mk.III/IV in the stash so it will be good to watch. 

11 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Due to the Phantom GB and life in general getting in the way, my Javelin still hasn't been started.

So rather than attempt to rush the model, I'm going to withdraw from this group build and hope another suitable opportunity comes along in the near future.

Mike

All good Mike, thanks for letting us know.

I must admit, running this GB as a solo host, not to mention the extensions going over on the Frog GB has left me a little flat with GB modelling of late. The timing of this GB has not been ideal and with the weather improving a bit (not that Brisbane winter's are bad), I've inherited a few more household choirs to do. 

Best for everyone to do there best and we'll see where we all finish up in the end. 

Cheers and thanks for your continued support.. Dave  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done everyone, there some cracking builds being finished of late and some really excellent progress happening as well. Those of you that haven't updated your builds lately (including me!), it would be great to hear how you're all getting along now that we're well passed the GB half way mark. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am to receive the Airfix Control tower by the end of the week in its sealed bag.

Question : Can I alter the original kit to a Control tower more in keeping with a wartime building? ? ?

I have a spare kit that lacks a number of parts (photos to follow) but will give me additional window frames.

If this is OK, I shall wait till the kit is here before starting a new topic. A month is plenty of time I think  . . . . .

• Like 1

@Mancunian airman, kit modifications are more than accepted, just tying to clarify if this kit was issued in the year that you were born or are you of such vintage to have been conceived during those dark war years? If you can link it, go for it! 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mancunian airman said:

Hope this will be helpful to clear the date  . . . 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/1958-airfield-control-tower-1-76-t188.html

😛

All good, go for it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 6:46 AM, JOCKNEY said:

So just to clear up any confusion @Mancunian airmanto the best of our knowledge was not conceived in the control tower !

Now that would be interesting... I like dioramas with 'action' scenes, helps one tell a story! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

So good to see the last batch of GB completions entering the gallery. 

The quality of these builds has been fantastic and I wish the rest of you the best of modelling luck trying to get these WIP's completed prior to the GB conclusion. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave  

• Like 1