"In the year I was born" GB Chat

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

... so if you can find room for a small one, I'd love to jump aboard

No problems Foxbat, we accept all sizes and have plenty of room on here. Your 2nd Mig 17 will be most welcomed. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Just a quick note... this GB is now officially open to hack away at whatever model subject that has (or will) peak your interest. 

I hope you all enjoy the participation and global comradery that these GB's generate and in the end be proud of a modelling memento that links back to the year that you were born. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 7:58 AM, Bonhoff said:

I have a plan involving the refrbishment of a Frog HMS Undine kit originally built some 40+ years ago.

Intention is to waterline it, add the Atlantic Models etch set for it and to alter the bridge to hopefully match one of its sister ships that was involved in an incident.... On the day I was born no less!

IanJ

Small apology - Further research indicates that I may not have been born on the day of the incident.... Still has a personal connection so will be going ahead or backwards even.

Will tell all when I get started.

IanJ

45 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Small apology - Further research indicates that I may not have been born on the day of the incident.... Still has a personal connection so will be going ahead or backwards even.

Will tell all when I get started.

IanJ

Phew!! - when I first read this Ian, I thought you'd found out you were actually born on a different day to what you always thought? Imagine that! 

I'm glad that was not the case.. All good, time to get modelling I think. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dave,

I seem to be having problems looking at one of the entries - every time I try and open the one for 1944 by "The real Mr Ed" I get a message saying I do not permission to access this forum and that there is an error - 403 I think. Every other link seems OK.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Dave,

I seem to be having problems looking at one of the entries - every time I try and open the one for 1944 by "The real Mr Ed" I get a message saying I do not permission to access this forum and that there is an error - 403 I think. Every other link seems OK.

Pete

Its a well known issue, it knocked me off and blocked me from accessing the forum yesterday. Mike has already been working on it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Aren't computers wonderful. I have been using them in one form or another since 1968 and they still confuse me at times. My Uni had got hold of a 2nd hand one which probably still used valves, and the only way you could communicate with it was by punched paper tape which was ruddy tedious!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 2:45 AM, PeterB said:

Dave,

Pete

Thanks Pete. I did PM Ed as soon as I saw this (last Friday) and he mentioned that he'd already spoken to the mods about this issue. I'm starting to think that perhaps @TheRealMrEd should just try a new build thread for this one? Anyway, lets hope it all works out as we'd love to see what's going on here. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Just a quick note to thank those of you who have progressed your models and all those new members who have started new build threads over the last few days. I've had a few mysterious home computer issues so was not able to keep up with everyone's progress, so apologies for that. The GB Build List has just been updated and is now showing 37 models. That's a great effort and if we get to 50 that would just be amazing. I actually did manage to spend a few hours on my Mirage build, however I must say the Kinetic kit is a real mixed bag (read Pig) and is quite horrible to work with. I'll get to all your threads and update my own as I find the time. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave  

• Like 2

Sorry Rabbit Leader, I just tried again, using only two pictures, and a few lines of text, with no special characters, etc.  Still T.U.

I will try posting in the regular WIP forum, and perhaps you can get the post moved at the end, or sooner if the problem is resolved!

Ed

On 7/31/2019 at 7:03 PM, Paul821 said:

However looking at Wikipedia I read that in 9195 RB-36's

Before I start a 1952 build thread for this I just need to check with @Rabbit Leader that it does not fall foul of the 25% rule. On examining the contents I see I made a start on the kit in the past and a number of parts are painted (badly I would say so will be repainted in any build). I addition about 12 parts have been glued together. I would stat that nowhere near 25% of the build work has been started only that as the wings have been glued together 25% of the weight of the kit has been started on!

41 minutes ago, Paul821 said:
On 8/1/2019 at 4:03 AM, Paul821 said:

Before I start a 1952 build thread for this I just need to check with @Rabbit Leader that it does not fall foul of the 25% rule

Happy to take your word for it Paul. When you really think about this 25% rule some kits can be fully assembled in that time frame yet still require over 75% of your time to paint and weather until ones finally satisfied. It gets the green light, so start a WIP thread whenever it suits. 

Cheers.. Dave 

20 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Hmm I think I found something!

Yep... first flights are momentous occasions so if that’s what wiki says (and who really knows this this aircraft) it’s fine.

Cheers.. Dave 

10 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

@Rabbit Leader, Dave where do you stand with eggplanes in the GB. SR-71s broke some records in 1976 which remain “unbeaten” :shrug:  I’m pretty certain I have an egg-71 somewhere in the stash but no actual 71. 

I'm a bit "scrambled" on that one H!! 

On second thought's why not, but you'd better get in early before someone else 'poaches' the idea!! 🤣

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Anything interesting (besides me ;)) from 1978?

Nope! 

Only joking - Here's a link to 1978 - year in aviation. Apologies if you build models other than aircraft. There may be something of interest here that could take your fancy. 

Cheers and hopefully we will see something from you soon.. Dave 

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Anything interesting (besides me ;)) from 1978?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_28

March 3rd: Rhodesia attacks Zambia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_South_Lebanon_conflict

April 27 – Afghanistan's president Daoud Khan is killed and his family murdered during a Marxist military coup d'état; Nur Muhammad Tarakisucceeds him beginning the Afghan Civil Warwhich as of 2019 has not yet ended.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cassinga

October 1 Vietnam attacks Cambodia.

All of which are found here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nope! 

Only joking - Here's a link to 1978 - year in aviation. Apologies if you build models other than aircraft. There may be something of interest here that could take your fancy. 

Cheers and hopefully we will see something from you soon.. Dave 

Looks like a lot of hijackings that year. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:26 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Happy to take your word for it Paul. When you really think about this 25% rule some kits can be fully assembled in that time frame yet still require over 75% of your time to paint and weather until ones finally satisfied.

In this case I think I have done about 1% of the actually work required on the RB-35, especially as I intend over painting the cockpit area. So build thread will now be set up and work commence,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a few months of absence from group builds, I'm getting ready to jump in the fray again ! Quick question about rules.. that may have been asked before but I've likely missed it: if I decide to build a model of an aircraft that had ther first flight in the year I was born, must this represent an aircraft in that year or would any of the type do ? Since my year of birth is 1969 (yes, I did turn 50 this year) I'm thinking of a Concorde, but finding a kit of the prototype is not easy...

• Like 1