"In the year I was born" GB Chat

On 7/30/2019 at 5:14 AM, Paul J said:

Incidentally I'm only going for kits I have in my stash.. 

That makes perfect sense and is something I’ve been trying to do with these GB’s for a while now. Unfortunately I think it’s had the opposite effect on more than one (read 30+) occasions! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I had responded to the call when it first went out, but did not say what I was going to build. I have decided on the Swift F.2 as the the F.1 arrived with 56 Squadron  on 20th February, 11 days after I was born with the F.2 arriving in August (1954). I already have the Airfix FR5 kit and the Freightdog conversion. Was tempted by the P1a as I have the Aeroclub conversion, but appears to be missing the canopy and it is not long since I built a Lightning. 

Dave,

Can I just check to see if I have got this right. If a certain mark of a plane (not the original "Mk 1" plane type) flew for the first time or first entered service in the year of my birth is that eligible? Say for example the Seafire FR Mk.47 - Seafires had been around since about 1942 but the last one, the 47 did not enter service until February 1948 (based on your example for a birth year of 1948). 

Alternatively, does it have to be the exact version/Mark that flew in that particular year, or can I enter a slightly earlier/later version - taking Mr T's example a Swift FR5 when to be accurate it should be an F2?

I would certainly be interested in joining this build but am not going to buy any more kits or my other half would kill me! There are a few in my stash which might do, but most are not the correct version for the year in question, and to complicate matters sources vary as to the exact dates in service etc. For example Putnams say that the Vampire FB5 entered service in 1949 but on line articles say 1948.

You seem to have added to your workload somewhat, you know what they say - never volunteer!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

Thanks for your post Pete. I’ll be honest the original intention was to just say - here’s a photo from a (example) Vampire taken in 1948, I’m gonna build it like that, but as things go sometimes rules gets stretched a bit. In order to maximise as many entries as possible, basically as long as you can link your subject to 1948 (in some way) I’m happy for any scheme and any version to be accepted. I’m not gonna counter check anyone’s claims however I would like everyone to stick to as close to the year as possible. 

Im just finalising my choice for this GB and although there are much nicer schemes that were added both pre and post the year I was born, I’m picking a scheme that I can pin down to the year 1970. 

I hope this helps rather than adds to any confusion. Send me a PM with your modelling thoughts and we’ll see what we can do. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Keep trying to figure out if I have anything in the stash for 1975.  Maybe the 911 Turbo?  Guards Red, Black, or Grand Prix White would be too easy.  Perhaps a period color such as Sahara Beige, Peru Red, or Lime Green?  Hmmm.  :hmmm:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2

Great ideas @helios16v, after being bombarded with 100% aviation subjects at the Frog Squad GB a few additional vehicle kits would be most welcome here. Don’t get me wrong, I do love aircraft however it’s nice to see something a bit different every now and again. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hello @Panther II, here are a couple of good places to get ideas from. The first is all aviation, the second is general events of the year.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_aviation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000

There is also the USS Cole bombing. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

If anyone is looking for stuff to build, try going to wikipedia and trying something like this. There are aviation specific and general event pages. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_in_aviation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000

All you need do is change the year to get your birth year. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

OK, I can't resist.

But what??? I like 1/72 and aircraft.

A scan of Scalemates says that the FROG North American Sabre, a plane I like very much, came out in 1955 (I am that old :unamused:).

So, a look on ebay and there's one for sale! But the ebay advert says 1956? Who's right?

And possibly a tad expensive? And that's the opening price! But it is probably very rare.

Maybe I should put put a post in the Scalemates Wanted?

Can @TonyW shed any light here?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Panther II said:

Huh, this looks like an interesting GB. I was born in 2000 and there wasn't much going on. One thing that happened was the Russian sub Kursk sank.

I was about to say something from the anti-terrorist wars but 9-11 and all the action that followed was a year later wasn’t it? I’m sure there’s plenty of subjects out there and Dennis has provided a few links above. 

When I get the chance later today, I’ll add something into the reference thread so that it may help trigger some more modelling inspiration. 

Cheers and thanks for your interest.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

But what??? I like 1/72 and aircraft

It can also be a modern day tooling all dressed up in 1955 colours as well. If it’s a Sabre that takes your fancy, I’m pretty sure the recently new tooled Airfix kit has decals for 112 Squadron and the time period is ‘1955’. This kit will both look and build a lot better than the Frog kit and I’m sure will save you a few pennies as well. 

Hope this helps and opens up plenty of other possibilities.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I've just started a build thread for one (rare-ish maybe?) kit.

If I have time or could be bothered this might be the GB to build another (rare-ish) baggie kit

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Johnson said:

OK, I can't resist.

But what??? I like 1/72 and aircraft.

A scan of Scalemates says that the FROG North American Sabre, a plane I like very much, came out in 1955 (I am that old :unamused:).

So, a look on ebay and there's one for sale! But the ebay advert says 1956? Who's right?

And possibly a tad expensive? And that's the opening price! But it is probably very rare.

Maybe I should put put a post in the Scalemates Wanted?

Can @TonyW shed any light here?

Thanks!

As Dave says, the '55 or '56 time frame isn't that important. The RAF had them in service then, so they fit perfectly regardless of when the kit came out. Lines/Hellstrom give 1955 as the release year.

RAF Sabres look a bit odd to me, along with Washingtons. Such pure US shapes in roundels are very eye catching.That makes them first class modelling fodder though.

The one on Ebay is priced strongly, and I think you would be better off leaving that one to the collectors. It's only original once. A beat up boxed one, or a restorer would be a different matter. That's only my opinion though, for what it's worth.

The FROG kit is pretty rare in either of its two boxes, it's almost as if FROG were ashamed of a US aircraft being used in the front line RAF. The Javelin and DH110, for example, soldiered on far longer.

Then there's the kit itself. I think it looks every inch a Sabre, if you look past the huge rivets all over it! The toolmaker who did the Shackleton monsters probably started his apprenticeship on the Sabre. 

Here's a built one. I've left the rivets and other heavy detailing alone as I like out the box builds for really old kits. The same goes for the solid cockpit and wheelwells. It's a very basic kit! Having said that, it was an enjoyable restoration of a near scrap kit and I'm happy to have it.

FROG-sabre.jpg

If you smoothed it over and corrected its no doubt many faults it wouldn't be the same kit anymore, that's my opinion. Your mileage may differ.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, PeterB said:

Dave,

Can I just check to see if I have got this right. If a certain mark of a plane (not the original "Mk 1" plane type) flew for the first time or first entered service in the year of my birth is that eligible? Say for example the Seafire FR Mk.47 - Seafires had been around since about 1942 but the last one, the 47 did not enter service until February 1948 (based on your example for a birth year of 1948). 

Alternatively, does it have to be the exact version/Mark that flew in that particular year, or can I enter a slightly earlier/later version - taking Mr T's example a Swift FR5 when to be accurate it should be an F2?

I would certainly be interested in joining this build but am not going to buy any more kits or my other half would kill me! There are a few in my stash which might do, but most are not the correct version for the year in question, and to complicate matters sources vary as to the exact dates in service etc. For example Putnams say that the Vampire FB5 entered service in 1949 but on line articles say 1948.

You seem to have added to your workload somewhat, you know what they say - never volunteer!

Cheers

Pete

After "announcing" my cunning plan in my Lincoln Build Thread I had to laugh when I read this

1949 First flights

March

March 9 – Avro Shackleton prototype VW126  

But whereas I will struggle to get mine anywhere near done I think your Shack will be well past the 25 percent Rule already!  

Then again you could build another one!  

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2019 at 8:41 AM, Paul821 said:

Ideally the submission will have some link to Eastern England.

Like my namesake @paulj I am also ideally my choice will be taken from my stash. I note @paulj is only one year away from me! I applaud his build proposal around about a coronation based build. However looking at Wikipedia I read that in 9195    1952  RB-36's were deployed for the first time in Korea. The monogram RB-36 was a possible for the Revell GB but that is two years off so this not only will be a significant reduction in the stash it will removed the longest serving model there. As for the quote above well in 1953 RF-36's started to be seem at Lakenheath - so fit my collecting theme. So once my commitments to other Gb's you may see this

DSC03773

In a build thread as an RB-36.

Edited by Paul821
date made meaningful
  • Like 5

Anything Lakenheath connected gets my vote as, along with Mildenhall, it's my local air base. Their F15's were out making noise today in fact. I would have loved to have seen the B36's flying for real but your build will be a perfectly adequate substitute.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW

Well I was all ready to go with an non-aviation themed build (shock horror!).  Had the kit for a while, I have only just looked at it and I have no bloody decals in the box.

I was going to make the Revell 1/24th Lancia 037 1983 Acropolis Rally winner.  The rest of the kit is there but no decals... a little fuming I am as the description said "sealed in box".

So I have been searching for decals to buy, I can find some from 1982 and 1984 but not 1983... ggrr.

I could always fall back on the Spaceshuttle Challenger that was launched in 1983.  Hhmm...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

That’s a real shame @Dazzio, is there much difference between the 82 or 84 decals to depict an 83 car? Quite frustrating to find no decals in a sealed box! Your Plan B does sound good too should you resort to fall back on that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a real shame @Dazzio, is there much difference between the 82 or 84 decals to depict an 83 car? Quite frustrating to find no decals in a sealed box! Your Plan B does sound good too should you resort to fall back on that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I don't know why, but it's bothering me more than it should.  I could use the 84 decals, but it would be different drivers and a different numbered car and year, but it did win in 1984 as well.  Those decals cost the same price as the model itself!  I have sent Revell an email asking if they have any spares at all, but I will not hold my breath as the kit was produced in 2004 -ish.  I will see what Revell say first before I make a decision. 

The Spaceshuttle is a good back up plan, but would require alot of work to bring the Airfix kit upto standards. Does the spaceshuttle count as an aircraft or as an falling object?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

As for the quote above well in 1953 RF-36's started to be seem at Lakenheath - so fit my collecting theme.

This'll be a fantastic 1953 build should you have time to get into it Paul. I also agree that the Revell / Monogram GB is way too far down the track to keep this one in the box, although where does one store it once built? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

I've just found a I have a few Airfix kits issued in my year.

I'd like to avoid aeroplanes in this GB so I'll see which of the others I might do.

Two of my favourites for this each has a part missing (sounds familiar? :P  ) and one I want to do a mild conversion

• Like 1

Fortunately the B36 kit has substantial wing spars so I store mine with the wings off unless on display. I built a wood framed perspex shelf to fit over my staircase and displayed it there, alternating with the B52D - you could see the underside walking up the stairs, and the "normal view once you reached the top. Unfortunately my wife decided to take it down when last we decorated - must see if I can get permission to put it back but she hated dusting it!

• Haha 1

I was going to be just a spectator for this GB as I Have way too many commitments in other ones just now. One of those builds is a MiG-17 over in Front Line Asia which I'm doing in Sri Lankan markings. 

One of the kit options I'm not using is a Vietnamese scheme with a story attached. That story happened in the year I was born. Inevitably, I have another MiG-17 in the post, so if you can find room for a small one, I'd love to jump aboard.

Andy

• Like 1